Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
I have no problem with what Cook said.

If someone makes a movie about your friend and they misrepresented him would you not say something about it?
Or will you just let the movie slander your friend.

its obvious that Cook and many others WHO ACTUALLY KNEW STEVE JOBS don't like the movie and don't think it reflects Jobs true self fairly.

Jobs was a much bigger a hole than any of these movies portrays. They ought to be happy they are painting him in the same light the hipsters with their Apple Stickers on their VW Clean Diesel TDI's do rather than the way he actually was. The story of him denying the paternity of his daughter for as long as he did along with not being a part of her life for a long time is much closer to reality than the image some people like to keep.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
If someone makes a movie about your friend and they misrepresented him would you not say something about it?
Or will you just let the movie slander your friend.

Granted that Cook didn't see the movie, the only reason he could call the movie opportunistic is not about its qualities, but about making its money. That's why Sorkin's comment is spot on. Don't blame someone else about making money while you're making a ton of money, possibly doing very similar things.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
"Third, if you've got a factory full of children in China assembling phones for 17 cents an hour you've got a lot of nerve calling someone else opportunistic."

Shots fired! Shots fired!

Nah. it's all part of the business, both for Apple and Hollywood. Make noise.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
total bullcrap.

You want Apple to stop using Chinese labor yet cry like babies when the Apple keeps the 16GB phone.

Stop living in a dream world.

All Cook was saying was the movie did not accurately portrail Steve Jobs. Thats it.

Much of the movie is false and made up.
Just like most biographies for the big screen, more than likely sensationalized for ratings.

Reactions: mrxak and ohio.emt

warrior2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
"Third, if you've got a factory full of children in China assembling phones for 17 cents an hour you've got a lot of nerve calling someone else opportunistic."

Shots fired! Shots fired!

Shots fired.

Except the facts about 17 cents and children ARE TOTAL FALSE AND ARE LIES.

Hmmm. Just like Sorkins movies.

Reactions: mrxak

kungpaaao

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2015
Well that is patently false. Apple has done more than most any other tech company to monitor and reduce the problems inherent to Chinese factories that employ hundreds of thousands of workers. Workers who come there freely from their farms in the country because they can make a lot more money working in the factory for a while and then bring that money back to their home.

Maybe true, but Apple, as a big, powerful corporation, really turns the screws to suppliers. What, Foxconn takes a ton of risk and only gets $1 per phone?

I'm not picking on Apple. All corporations do this.

I don't know if we know if Apple does more, but that's besides the point. Also, anyone can bring money home, but still be exploited. Many or most of us are in that position.

Reactions: jamescobalt

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
You guys seen the "other one": The Man in the Machine?

That one is particularly showing Steve's "dark sides".

The fact is that there are so many movies / documentaries made so shortly after his death, it's pretty unbelievable.
And that fact is simply a statement to his achievements in life, love him or hate him.

SlipperySlop

Suspended
Sep 14, 2015
They are opportunistic. Anything done for money is opportunistic.
That's so untrue. You don't understand the meaning of "opportunistic".
Here's one definition:
"exploiting chances offered by immediate circumstances without reference to a general plan or moral principle"
Simply making money isn't being opportunistic. If it were, every business and every service in the entire world be opportunistic according to you.

zaphodb3

macrumors member
May 3, 2015
Just because it's not 10 bucks an hour ... it doesn't mean Apple is ripping off people. Apple actually creates millions of jobs in China... I don't think it's right for the that guy to attack Cook in that way.

I think it's more that Sorkin is annoyed the 'pot is calling the kettle black'. If Sorkin is "opportunistic" for making a movie, what does that make Cook, head of one of the most profitable companies ever?

warrior2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Jobs was a much bigger a hole than any of these movies portrays. They ought to be happy they are painting him in the same light the hipsters with their Apple Stickers on their VW Clean Diesel TDI's do rather than the way he actually was. The story of him denying the paternity of his daughter for as long as he did along with not being a part of her life for a long time is much closer to reality than the image some people like to keep.

And you know the real Steve Jobs....sure.

Reactions: mrxak and Millah

BennyBean

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2015
Well that is patently false. Apple has done more than most any other tech company to monitor and reduce the problems inherent to Chinese factories that employ hundreds of thousands of workers.

Yes, lots of American workers are moving to China because they can make so much money at the Apple factories there... :eyeroll:

kungpaaao

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2015
By that logic, aren't we all opportunistic?
P.S. Perhaps Sorkin and Taylor are soulmates?
I think Tim's comment came across as a blind attack to lump all movies together there to make money.

I do feel that Sorkin did this movie out of passion for the subject. I can't wait to see it.

Yes, we are all opportunistic, but we don't do everything mostly for money. I think other movies may have done it for money.

I work for money, but also have a passion for my work. Rather than having a business to make money only to have a passion for extracting dollars from peoples' pockets.

Reactions: linuslh1996

Kevin2055

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2015
It is totally wrong regarding "children in China assembling phones for 17 cents an hour". Do you math please. 17 cents an hour is $1 per day, and $22 per month. It is IMPOSSIBLE ! You should multiply at least 20X.

Reactions: mrxak

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Opportunistic would be making this movie just 4 years after the guy passed away.

But this movie's coming out 4 years AND 18 DAYS afterward. I think enough time has passed.

(If reviews are good—from film sites, not tech sites—I'm interested. I'm not impressed with the degree of knowledge he shows of Apple, though, if he actually thinks what he said about child labor is true. Luckily, entertainment doesn't have to be fact alone.)

Never get into a war of words with Aaron Sorkin!

Or with anyone who will make up dire false accusations, which will be assumed true by many!

Reactions: mrxak and Millah
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.