ABC cancels "Flash Forward"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, May 14, 2010.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Link

This is stupid of them. First they sabotaged the show by putting it on a long hiatus, from which the ratings never fully recovered. Then they go and cancel the thing with Lost about to air its final episode. (Didn't they consider that a Lost audience suffering from withdrawal just might be looking for a new serial?)

I'm not even really the biggest Flash Forward fan, but it's not a bad show at all...in fact, it's a lot better written than Lost. This just smacks of dumb.

2. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I watched it and came back after the long break but gave up after 2 episodes. I really wanted to like it. I thought the acting was really bad.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Now that sucks.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Nothing will ever replace Lost or Battlestar Galactica..

We need to find REAL things to do now.

Reality is such a drag.:p

Guess I'll go back to gearing my lvl 80 Warrior..

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I don't think I've ever agreed so strongly on these forums.

Caprica is doing well but BSG is certainly tied at the top with Lost.

7. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Ouch. I especially enjoyed watching Sonya Walger in it. So, it's canceled as of right now? No conclusion to the story? Or not returning for a new season?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I stopped watching Caprica after a couple of episodes. I will miss Lost when it's done, yeah. It's the only show I go out of my way to watch (on Hulu) each week when there's a new episode.

*sneaks back out of thread, as he has no idea what Flash Forward is* :eek:

9. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I also read that they canceled Scrubs, too.

I actually agree with that... I loved that show. And what I thought was the series finale was done so well! Then I found out they decided to keep it going, which was just... boring. Stopped watching after a few episodes.

10. jammybastard macrumors regular

jammybastard

Not surprising at all.
    Anyone who has followed "Flash Forward" and all the troubles it has gone through in the past year just to make it to air would've seen this coming a mile away.

They hadn't even aired the second episode when ABC fired executive producer Marc Guggenheim. Then ABC yanked it from the schedule in mid-Nov. saying it would be back in January to cover for the fact that the network was shutting down the whole production!
    Then in Jan. ABC said it would be back in March. In February ABC forced out co-creator and executive producer David S. Goyer, or maybe he jumped because he could see that the network never planned to support the show in the first place.
    When the show finally came back in March the ratings sucked in the US, but we strong in Europe.
    Go figure.

11. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

When you sign on a TV series with a plot that requires a certain amount of episodes for the story to play out you should air every ****ing episode that's kind of like what playing 22 hours of 24 then canceling would be for Fox. Or reading a book for example, who wants to read a story, get caught up in it and find out the last two chapters are blank pages?

Come to think of it the last TV show actually to have a complete series based on a novel style story line was Babylon 5. I am getting so ****ing sick of the short attention span ADD ****ing TV execs running things.

I mean hell even if an ending is horrible at least it has an ending

12. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

With NBC canceling Law & Order, and Dick Wolf looking for a new network to carry it, maybe ABC can pick up L&O and put it in either Lost's or Flash Forward's time spot. Keeps fingers crossed.

Don

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I tried to get into it but I couldn't. It just drug.

14. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Thank you! That's the example I always use of a show that had a well-planned beginning, middle and end.

I always watched it without drugs. ;)

15. iOrlando macrumors 68000

this was actually my fav show last year.

but that thursday night 8pm time slot is killer. I havent been able to see the last 4 episodes and now I see I am not the only one.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I've been downloading them and waiting till the season is over to begin watching them, just the way I've done with the Office, Lost and 24. Now I don't know if I should even bother watching the season knowing it won't be back or if the season won't even be allowed to wrap up with a conclusion.

18. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I think they might as well, Season 9 was forgettable. Zach Braff has stated that he will not be doing any Scrubs 10. Although, I think the Scrubs is in limbo yet, not quite axed.

I was a big(ish) fan for a couple of the seasons (not 2, and not really the last one). It was just really difficult to follow, and stay interested. Maybe it's the short attention span, but I couldn't sit through every episode.

As for FlashForward, I saw the first ep, and just couldn't stick to it. Seemed too much like Lost to me.

19. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I heard ABC canceled it because one of their advertisers, Apple, threatened to stop airing ads if ABC didn't stop supporting flash ;)
    doesn't a REAL thing usually involve.... real life?

20. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Not that I ever watched this show, but what are these studios thinking?

They hook an audience, expect the show to be a blockbuster and give it no time to build an audience. Then they cancel it.

I've started watching a few shows, only to have them get cancelled after one or two seasons. I've personally had it with this BS.

Now that Lost is going off air, there's really very few shows out there worth watching.

Fringe has really been pretty good this year, but they have reached one of their major plotlines. I'm not sure they can continue to be creative for all that much longer.

Heroes was the best show that never was.

Terminator: Sara Connor Chronicles was finally starting to take off and they killed it.

V sucked the first time around, I could never get into it. I watched the first few episodes of the reincarnate and thought it sucked just as much as the first one.

Invasion just dissapeared.

There's probably about 5 or 6 other shows that were one season wonders.

Long gone are the days of establishing a show and growing an audience. It's pretty sad when the networks are shooting for instant gratification.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Phew, thank god for that. The first series was outstanding but it's so terrible now. I'm only watching it because I keep hoping it will get that good again. It isn't. It's probably time to kill it.

Never watched Flash Forward though. Heroes and Lost were the only US shows I watched. Back to Doctor Who fer me.

22. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I am a long-time LOST fan and recently discovered Flashforward. I LOVE it and I really don't know why it's been getting the low ratings that it has. I am upset that it's ending. But I just discovered "The 4400" and think it's really similar so that is my replacement.

Try The 4400. I think it has 2 seasons thus far and I am only 3 episodes in and love it.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good. The show sucked. Crappy acting and writing, not to mention pretentious and full of itself. Maybe they can give the time to something better.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Man, this sucks. I really liked this show. All of the shows my wife and I watch are ending or being cancelled.

25. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I loved Sara Connor Chronicles. I’m surprised it didn’t jump to SyFY.

I think the problem with any show nowadays is that it has to compete with reality TV. Reality TV is cheap to make and since people watch most of that crap (started with “Who Wants to be a Millionaire?”), the networks do what makes money. I think eventually we’ll have to watch sit-coms and drama shows on the cable networks.

I knew they were going to cancel Heroes eventually, but I wish they’d at least let the show come to a conclusion. They even allowed Ugly Betty that (I never understood how that show started getting moved around and going in hiatus, when it was a major Emmy winner a few years ago).