About Iphones (why no 32GB model)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by super michael, Jan 20, 2016.

1. super michael macrumors regular

I don't know why Apple doesn't offer the Iphone 6s with 32GB. I mean Apple used to offer iphone 32GB from Iphone 3GS till Iphone 5S, after that iphone 6 there was no more 32GB.

I say Apple should either

- Give us choice to get 32GB
    Or
    - Make 32GB minimun storage

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a topic that's been beaten to death every time when the new model is rolled out. Basically, regardless of how we may feel, its Apple being Apple and they chose not too.

3. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

It demonstrates the lack of respect Apple has for its consumers and at the same time illustrates how much they love money.

4. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

64gb has replaced the 32gb at the same price point. Hopefully iPhone 7 will have three tiers, 32, 128, & 256.

5. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

Manufactures of popular items can afford to play games with consumers and still increase profit margin.

I remember 20 years ago. Toyota was still charging $10-15 option for a manual car antenna u move up and down yourself. Same with basic clock inside their cars. These are things that should have been considered basic things in cars by the mid 1990s.

Apple knows 32gb should be basic storage. But they want to force u to buy their 64gb model n

7. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

$1 a month gets you something like 50 gigs of iCloud storage

8. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Apple like money (as do all businesses. This isn't new). They want to make as much of it as possible.

If 32gb was base a lot of people would buy it (myself included) and not pay the extra £80 for 64gb. So Apple lose £80.

They know 16gb isn't enough for most. So instead of making 32gb base they instead opted to make more money either through people spending the extra £80 for 64gb or people buying iCloud storage (Yes £1 a month seems a small amount but Apple has how many million customers? I bet they make a sizeable chunk of profit from iCloud).

Money. That's all there is too it.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^^This. In reply to your post OP.

It's not about making you happy by providing you what you want/need. It's about Apple making money.

And despite you NOT being happy about it as well as a lot of other Apple customers you and them keep coming back right?

Apparently not enough people have decided they don't like this business model to force Apple to change it.

10. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Exactly!

If more people voted with their wallets, bought android/Windows OS and gave Apple feedback that they've done so because they refuse to be ripped off to the tune of £80 for more memory when you can get a 64gb micro sd card for £15 and put it in your shiny new non Apple phone. You can bet your life the next iPhone released would have 32gb base model.

But they don't. I include myself in that btw. It annoys me. But not enough to go android and ditch iOS. Because as much as it annoys me, for me personally iOS is the mobile OS I want to be using. I've tried android several times and every time I couldn't wait to get back to an iPhone.

And if I want to use an iPhone I have to put up with apples money grabbing shenanigans. I have to accept that Apple do what's best for Apple and apples wallet.

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Well in fairness as long as people keep buying the 16GB why would they stop?

Sales are always very good for it...yes a lot of it as people have no choice money wise but from their view if it sales why not carry it on

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yep. Precisely why Apple continues with this business model.

They get away with it every model release.

13. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Said it before and will say it again....16gb is plenty for a lot if not the majority of users who wont post on forums like this. They get a new phone on upgrade via their mobile contract every 12/24 months and the 16gb is a good entry point for these folk who just want an iphone. They will use it to message, odd phone call, email, some selfies, some social media and browing the net...they dont need a load of space to have massive apps, 4k videos, loads of music. Plenty of folk have used the 8gb versions of iPhones without many issues in the past as well.

Also as mentioned the 64gb sits at the same price point i believe as the old 32gb so folk are getting double the space for the same price. No need to ditch the 16gb phone as its used by lots of folk all over the place with no issues.

14. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

This comment should spark some good replies as it has done in 3000 other posts about this topic.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Very true.

One of the women I work with didn't even realize there were different capacities offered until she actually started running out of space (she has lots of photos/music). She got a 64GB model the second time around.

That said, another reason the 16GB won't die is the 'trendy' factor. Since Apple does not physically indicate on the phone what capacity the phone is, the 16GB model allows entry to the "club" (so to speak) without the ignominy of revealing that you bought the base model.

For some people that's a consideration and I doubt Apple is unaware of it.

16. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

As mentioned before... This ^^^

Keep in mind there are tons of iPhones sold to businesses to utilize by their staff. They'll likely buy the cheap iPhone because if nothing else, they don't care if their staff members run out of storage space taking cat pics and never prune their videos, pics and unused apps. Nor do they care if their staff get frustrated because they can't download 17 of the latest and greatest space-sucking games. They want the cheapest phone that can run iOS. So the cheapest iPhone, no matter what the capacity, will continue to sell.

And as mentioned above, the 64GB phone was offered at the same tier as the 32GB was. So in my case, if there was a 16/32/64/128 ladder, I would have ended up stepping up two levels to the 64GB level. I'm just as happy that there ISN'T a 32GB model.

C

17. bushido Suspended

bushido

one word: upselling

it certainly worked on me lol

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It had to work on me, I just couldn't work within the confines of the smaller storage footprint :/

19. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

If a user has 8GB apps and/or music, they can take approximately 650 live photos. That is pretty slim, but nonetheless is sufficient for millions of people. I do hope they phase it out next time around.

20. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

Because they're savages man. Straight savages.

21. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Just get the 64GB model. Costs the same as upgrading from 16 to 32 used to. Would you be happier to pay extra $100 for 32GB?

Would it be nice that Apple made the 32GB the lowest. sure, but so many still buying the 16. Maybe next time with iPhone 7.

22. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Because you can buy 64 gb or 128 gb!

I'm really enjoying my 128 gb 6s+ give it a try?

23. cynics macrumors G4

Apple saw an easy way to take advantage of its customers in a very effective manor. Less people would need to upgrade if the minimum was 32gb like all the competition is. They will do it again with the next iPhone like removing the headphone jack without reducing the price...we will all be super happy to get rid of it though.

Less for the same price (or more) is a very lucrative business strategy if the customers are willing to deal with it.

I wouldn't have paid the 100 dollars for 64gb if 32gb was the minimum.

24. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Ph*** 32 GB. Let's have 64GB basic, 128GB and 256GB.

25. I7guy macrumors G5

How about if Apple gave you a pair of digital headphones? I'm not sure why Apple should reduce the price if they removed the headphone jack but gave you better ear buds. At any rate this is hearsay until it's not.