about the MBP "june update"...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by squeeks, Apr 15, 2008.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

there have been quite few threads recently of people wanting to know if they should wait for the "june update". Where are you getting the idea that there even IS going to be a june update? Its just speculation.

Sure it was updated last june, and based on the update schedule it dose seem acurate, but a lot of people seem to think its been announced and is definite there is nothing to say for sure its going to be updated this june, Apple might just skip a Montevina only update (thought as eidorian explained to me it would mean waiting until june 09:eek: and wait for nehalem (which seems unlikely) and update the whole thing at one time

just keep this in mind before deciding to "wait for the "june update""

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They're not going to skip Montevina. Redesign worthy and mobile quad cores.

3. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

we need a macbook redesign, heck redesign the entire macbook/macbook pro line, make them all look the same

4. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

So Montevina brings quad core Macbook pro?

I need to research these things more.

5. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

6. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I don't really get this then.

Is santa rosa and montevina motherboards or something where the processors like penryn sit onto?

And does Montevina promise to be more power efficient that quad core can be used for the macbook pro?

7. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I agree that it's all speculation. Intel is releasing the chips then. Who knows if Apple will release then or later. If they do release then, it will an early update since the Penryn weren't released until late February.

My "guess" would be that it won't be in June. Maybe in the fall, that would put in time for the Christmas quarter. But this is pure speculation also.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There won't be an update in June. It's all lies. Buy a computer now.

9. watermelon macrumors regular

hm, because you would know?

10. watermelon macrumors regular

Well maybe people think this because macrumors has been posting rumors about it....
    also why not wait, it hurts more to get one now and then be screwed in june than to just wait till june

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think intel will release the montevina in early June and Apple will follow up by July/August at most.

12. bedrock22 macrumors member

june is also a traditionally busy time for apple refreshes

13. Techsavyfreak macrumors member

i would think they would wait till nahlem to do a model revision, but everyone thinks its going to be with the montevina update...

14. Eric. macrumors regular

They may have heard it on this one site that covers rumors and announcements from Apple that are true a good part of the time. I think its called www.macrumors.com or something close to that.

15. roylikeswaffles macrumors newbie

uh..i dont know if ur being sarcastic or not but this site IS MACRUMORS ;)

16. kingfish78 macrumors newbie

You could wait for the next big thing, but by that time... the next, next big thing will be on the horizon. So, wait some more. Then, just keep right on waiting because the next big thing after that will only promise bigger and better things.

Whether or not the system will be redesigned, meh. I don't really care for the "speculated" look of the black border around the display or the black chicklet keyboard. But, that's my own personal taste. It's what's inside that really counts, right?

So, let's consider... Apple updates to the Montevina platform. This is really less of a big deal than folks are making it to be. It's not a series of new processors. It won't immediately deliver mobile-quad core. It might not even be noticable, especially since Apple tends to not support the Intel platforms completely (they typically opt for the Apple Air Port cards over the IMO inferior Intel wireless option). Once the Nehalem chips are introduced in late 2008/early 2009, we might start to see mobile quad-core - but, we'll still be waiting for applications to be re-written to support the additional two cores to see much difference. And, there is no guarantee that Apple will adopt them immediately upon release due to power consumption/heat concerns. After all - mobile Extreme processors are available now, but Apple hasn't chosen to put them in the MBP line.

Bottom line, if you need a new computer... go get one. Enjoy it. If you can stand to wait, wait for the "next big thing."

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I bought mine only a few weeks ago and am really glad I didn't wait. If you wait, its just an endless cycle of waiting. Not to mention very rarely are there major performance enhancements that users actually take advantage of.

Like someone else said, if you want it now, buy it now. If not, wait.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes I do.

19. Eric. macrumors regular

Don't worry. I haven't lost my mind yet. ;)

As for those talking about waiting forever, I feel like its best in my case to wait for whatever update summer may bring. I'm getting a Macbook Pro for college this Fall, and since I don't need it yet I'm going to wait around and see what happens. Whatever early '09 update has been mention (Nehalem?) sounds good, but a faster FSB and DDR3 would be enough improvement to me for Montevina.

20. ibizarocks macrumors regular

the worthy updates will be seen in 2009 and 2011. anything in between is just a bump really.

21. kflook macrumors member

That's what I tell myself when I buy stuff. :cool:

22. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i bought my MBP last feb.. fresh from the update.
    (after months of speculating, waiting, mock up designs, staying up late every monday etc) =( not healthy at all!!

it's inevitable that there's going to be an update before 2009.
    i just don't think it's going to be this june.

the BUZZ is concentrated on the apple iphone.. ( isn't it obvious)
    because it's the milking cow right now.

to think that the update/upgrade translate to a hardware Re-design is just wishful thinking
    been there done that!
    imagine the threads nov of 07 and all the mock up images....
    and what did we get last feb? a little track pad and keyboard re-design

in short, if you need it now, buy now.
    and there'll always be an update/upgrade no matter what!
    that's TECHNOLOGY:D

23. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I'm more hoping for 8gb of ram max, a 9600 GT (or any upgrade in graphics card)...and nothing else.

I think that the future will call for 4+ gigabytes of ram very soon (as in before I buy another computer...as in within the next 5 years).

edit**

I can't find anywhere a projected release date for Nvidia's next generation mobile lineup... At this point the 8600 is over a year old.