Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AirPods-b298@3x.png
Last month, in the iOS 13.2 beta, MacRumors discovered an icon depicting never-before-seen AirPods with rubber ear tips, lending credence to rumors that Apple is planning to release higher-end AirPods with active noise cancellation and improved water resistance.

The new AirPods are expected to be released in late 2019 or early 2020. Ahead of time, accessory maker ESR has released both a cover and carrying case for the so-called "AirPods Pro", with the product images depicting a wider charging case designed to hold the AirPods with rubber ear tips.

airpods-pro-cases.jpg

The fact that ESR is now shipping perfectly-fitting cases for unreleased AirPods suggests that the accessory maker may have gleaned dimensions and design details from sources within Apple's supply chain. On the other hand, though, this could simply be a marketing stunt based purely on rumors.

The elongated charging case is consistent with the one that surfaced in a potential leak a few months ago:

airpods_3_leak_1.jpg

airpods_3_leak.jpg

Unsurprisingly, the higher-end AirPods are expected to have a higher price tag than the existing AirPods, which retail for $159 with a wired charging case and $199 with a wireless charging case. Exact pricing remains to be seen.

Apple typically unveils redesigned products during its keynotes, but an October event is looking unlikely this year, so it could announce the new AirPods in a press release like the redesigned Beats Solo Pro. Or, if the new AirPods are a 2020 product, they could be unveiled at Apple's usual March event.

(Thanks, Chris!)

Article Link: Accessory Maker Releases 'AirPods Pro' Cases Matching Rumored Noise-Cancelling Design

Last edited:

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Like when the original AirPods released in December of 2016, I would think Xmas sales would drive sales.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Guess we're not having an October event (Apple TV+...) so we should see these released ASAP to be in the channel for the big shopping season coming up.

Side effect would seem the location based Wideband Frequency garbage in the 11's seems like its just going to be a no-show (there but only usable with other 11's). Rather disappointing. I wanted my Apple branded tracking Idlee's... Hopefully not moving off to be with the AirPower charging matt.

Last edited:

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
We really gotta get Apple to stop throwing Pro onto everything. I'm sure these'll be really nice wireless earbuds, and there's no denying AirPods as one of Apple's best consumer products of the past decade, but I'd be stunned if they had anything like the performance necessary to be considered professional audio equipment.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Never seizes to amaze me that after all these advanced smartphones that we have, the leaked photos are still horribly blurry... looks like they used a flip phone from 15 years ago to take that last photo. ;)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
To be honest, the noise canceling feature is not really appealing to me personally. But one thing I would like to see is the AirPods get a ‘boost’ in the overall volume. I actually feel they’re not loud enough, even compared to my wired EarPods, which seem louder over the AirPods. But if the AirPods include a water resistance rating, improvements with the Sound produced, I’ll definitely upgrade. [Yes, A black color variant would be nice, but I can still settle for white.]

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Guess we're not having an October event (Apple TV+...) so we should see these released ASAP to be in the channel for the big shopping season coming up.

Side effect would seem the location based Wideband Frequency garbage in the 11's seems like its just going to be a no-show (there but only usable with other 11's). Rather disappointing. I wanted my Apple branded tracking Idlee's... Hopefully not moving off to be with the AirPower charging matt.
I'm gonna guess there will be product announcements October 29th along with official release of iOS 13.2 - one day ahead of the October 30th financial conference call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.