Accessory Manufacturer Claims 15-Inch MacBook Air Coming in April

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 14, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Electricpig reports that it has heard from a Mac accessory manufacturer that Apple is planning to launch a 15-inch MacBook Air as soon as April.
    The source is reportedly involved in "MacBook docking solutions", and while Apple almost certainly hasn't shared any specific information with the source, he does obviously have a strong interest in acquiring such information and may even have access to sources who could provide estimates of Apple's plans. That said, the source may simply be reiterating a previous rumor that had claimed new 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro models with thinner MacBook Air-like form factors would be launching in April.

[​IMG]

One other question still remaining is chip availability from Intel. With delays in the launch of the chip manufacturer's new Ivy Bridge platform and uncertainty about whether these thinner MacBook Pro or larger MacBook Air products would run traditional mobile chips as found in the current MacBook Pro or ultra low voltage chips as found in the MacBook Air, it is not entirely clear when chips for the new machines will become available.

Article Link: Accessory Manufacturer Claims 15-Inch MacBook Air Coming in April

2. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

I'm really looking forward to this if its true, as long as it keeps a good cpu and high res screen I am sold. So lets get on and do it :) !

3. imgonephishin macrumors regular

These updates can't come soon enough. My 2008 Rev. A MBA is on its very last legs and I'm going to upgrade to the larger screen the moment I can. I'm crossing every finger that the Digitimes was, as usual, off base about their Ivy Bridge delay rumors.

4. Menopause macrumors 6502a

Menopause

It's probably true (rumor has had it for quite some time now) but I think this is just a shot in the dark.

'Accessory makers' also claimed a 4" iPhone was coming last year but everyone witnessed what happened in the end. Truth is, Apple doesn't tell any accessory maker what they're about to launch.

5. thekeyring macrumors 68040

Anyone got any ideas of how much these will cost?

I'd love it to be cheaper than the 15" MacBook Pro :)

6. obama3344 macrumors member

7. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I really doubt they'll replace the Pro with a 15inch Air.

The Airs are all dual-core i5s.

They'll probably ditch the optical drive at some point for all of their laptops. But the difference between the Air and Pro would be the processor and graphics. And the use of a HDD instead of an SSD.

8. Mac21ND macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

I'm more concerned about the RAM. 4 GB for isn't enough at max.

9. ericschmerick macrumors regular

ericschmerick

I dunno, maybe I'm a luddite, but I really like the existing macbook pro 15". I don't really see any compelling reason why it should be thinner.

I guess if it's thinner that's fine too, but for me it wouldn't be worth it to trade features (processing power, ethernet port) for thinness.

10. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Last legs already? My late 2007 MBP is still going strong. What's wrong with the MBA?

11. Hakone macrumors 6502a

Will this be the direction of all Macbooks eventually? No optical drives and such?

12. adbe macrumors 6502a

No ethernet?

If they do drop the 13/15" pros, I guess i'm going to be replacing my works laptop with a Windows device. :(

I can (sort of) understand leaving the ethernet out of the Air, although there are still plenty of hotels with in room ethernet only. Dropping the smaller form factor Pros though would be a big mistake, IMHO.

I don't doubt Apple would, mind you. A simplified line-up with the 17" holding out on the 'Pro' label, and getting increasingly less updates and love, is what Apple are all about.

13. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Fairly certain the power and thunderbolt ports are gonna be the same in the rumored mba.

14. Virtualball macrumors 6502

Ugh, just come out already so I can upgrade to you!

Though, anyone else notice the "no ethernet port?" :confused:

15. Rafterman macrumors 68020

My Macbook Air 11 inch is an i7. The highest end 11 and 13's are i7-equipped.

16. adbe macrumors 6502a

I don't know why someone down-voted this post.

[edit evidently a few others felt the same] :)

17. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

18. Rafterman macrumors 68020

Agreed. In fact, I think the current Airs should have had a gigabit ethernet port too. At least create a Thunderbolt gigabit adapter, not that 100mb USB one that's available now.

19. Northgrove macrumors 65816

The equivalent sizes on the Airs are generally more expensive than the Pro's. See also the 13" Airs / Pros.

I'm expecting a 15" Air to cost ~$100 more than its Pro counterpart.

20. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

This could be the rumor about the thinner macbook pro which would be equally cool

21. chucknelson macrumors newbie

Waiting...

I haven't purchased a current Macbook Air because I'm waiting on a 15" version. Hope this pans out, although if they don't have Ivy Bridge that could be a bit of a bummer. Want the "latest" chips so I can feel better about keeping the laptop for 5+ years.

22. Winni macrumors 68040

Winni

Probably Safari isn't snappy enough anymore. I also wonder why all Facebook-Starbucks-Power Users always need the latest and greatest...

23. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

well an air would always be cheaper than a pro at same screen size because of the other components. If I had to guess about this i'd say it is more likely a thinner macbook pro.

24. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

How do you mean? Is there smoke coming out the back? Rust on the underside?

25. igazza macrumors 6502a

igazza

You can use a USB adaptor, no drama. :D