Accidentally blocked Apple Card credit check. Still got card. What now?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Morac, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Morac macrumors 65816

Morac

I freeze my credit. I got an invite for Apple Card today, so I put a temporary lift on my credit and applied. I got an offer and accepted. I figured by this point they should have run a credit check as why offer a card without doing so, so I refroze my credit. Imagine my surprise when about an hour later I got a notification from TransUnion that they blocked a request from Goldman Sachs because my credit was frozen.

I called Apple Card support and they told me my card was active and looked good. They said if there’s an issue they will email or call me. So basically I activated the Apple Card without a hard credit check. I haven’t tried using the card yet though.

I’m pretty sure that’s going to cause some kind of problem. Anyone familiar enough to tell me what to expect?

2. chabig macrumors 603

I will tell you what to expect--if there is an issue they will email or call you. ;)

3. LS3 POWER macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

I did the exact same thing Wednesday, unfroze it to apply and immediately froze it, then 2 hours later they attempted a hard pull which was blocked. I called Goldman Sachs that afternoon and they said do not worry. I got my card today. No issues and been using it daily since approved Wednesday

4. Morac thread starter macrumors 65816

Morac

I actually find that more troubling as it basically means Goldman Sachs will issue a credit card in someone’s name with nothing more than a soft credit inquiry, which credit freezes don’t block. It also goes against their own terms of service agreement.

A credit freeze is designed to prevent criminals from opening lines of credit in your name as it blocks the hard credit inquiry (normally) needed when applying for credit.

If Goldman Sachs (and other Banks) will issue credit cards without running a credit check that means a credit freeze will not prevent identity theft.

Edit:

This might just be Goldman Sachs though. I can also tell you that all that’s needed to authorize you with Apple Card support so they can look at your account is the phone number, name and birthday on the account. All of which is public information.

5. synonys macrumors member

synonys

Ditto, the same thing happened to me.

6. ZipZap macrumors 603

You all likely got approved on a soft pull. Hard pulls can sometime take up to a day to process. Bad things do show up in a soft pull.

7. Tech198, Aug 21, 2019 at 8:34 AM
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019 at 8:40 AM

Tech198 macrumors G5

Wouldn't unfreezing something just to apply be kind of a work around ?

Isn't there a reason why they get frozen ? I wouldn't except any continued success from this. It just sounds like your not going in to get something resolved first..

Can't say for Goldman Sachs, but with my bank they always do credit checks.. To me, it would be outrangious if a bank didn't do their job regardless..

That would be moving into a home without filling in the proper paperwork.