Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Rarara Bluth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
I really have no idea why I keep coming here, I know I like Apple but what’s the reason we all follow Apple news, anyone have an idea?

Btw I’m from Turkey and I’m open to questions.

It really feels good to be here after a long day.

Last edited:

beach bum

Contributor
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I really have no idea why I keep coming here, I know I like Apple but what’s the reason we all follow Apple news, anyone have an idea?

Welcome to MacRumors!

We all come here because it’s fun to speculate and keep up to date on the latest tech news, and MR is a great site to have interesting conversations/debates and an exchanges of ideas with like minded people from all over the globe.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two

To be really honest, it's about connecting for me.

I have always been shy, introverted and was always the kid bullied in school. Bulletin Board Systems (BBS) in the 1980s were a way for me to reach out and be accepted by others who had the same interests I did. Forums are a natural progression of that and since I have an interest in Macs and other Apple hardware I come here and share with others.

Your opinion holds the same weight as mine and mine holds the same weight as others - no matter how long or short you've been here or in other places or for how long you've been interested in the things we discuss here.

Forums allow me to reach out beyond my front door and communicate with people I'd otherwise never know existed. See…you're in Turkey. How likely is it that I'd ever run across you in real life? The last time I was out of the States was 1983 and that was a week in London.

MR satisfies that need to connect with other people. That's why I'm here.

Rarara Bluth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
To be really honest, it's about connecting for me.

I have always been shy, introverted and was always the kid bullied in school. Bulletin Board Systems (BBS) in the 1980s were a way for me to reach out and be accepted by others who had the same interests I did. Forums are a natural progression of that and since I have an interest in Macs and other Apple hardware I come here and share with others.

Your opinion holds the same weight as mine and mine holds the same weight as others - no matter how long or short you've been here or in other places or for how long you've been interested in the things we discuss here.

Forums allow me to reach out beyond my front door and communicate with people I'd otherwise never know existed. See…you're in Turkey. How likely is it that I'd ever run across you in real life? The last time I was out of the States was 1983 and that was a week in London.

MR satisfies that need to connect with other people. That's why I'm here.
Seems like a good time to be alive for geeks like us. BBS seems fun and seems like TeleText.

P.s. Many seems.

Reactions: eyoungren

Rarara Bluth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
I come here mostly out of boredom. That and XDA forums don't work on Tapatalk anymore. I do participate but I'm not ingrained in the Apple ecosystem.
Yeah me too. That’s one of the reasons I’m wondering how I always get back here. I guess I still yearn all devices. Only got half of them for now.

Reactions: Septembersrain

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Seems like a good time to be alive for geeks like us. BBS seems fun and seems like TeleText.

P.s. Many seems.
BBSes were fun. You called in, connected the modem, the site's welcome screen came up and you logged in. Most BBSes had - forums. :)

There was a local guy I knew that had these very large 9600 baud Robotics modems. Ran four lines for his BBS. It was a genealogy site but he had an area for the local youth. Sold me my first PC and my first 100mb hard drive.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, it can be. I tried to kick the habit a few years ago.
From 1980 to present I've done my damndest to get as much tech as I could and to be as online and engaged with online sites as possible. At the same time, I graduated from high school, got and held jobs, got an AA degree, dated, got married, had kids and bought a home. My wife and kids are not neglected (I've been married for 24 years to the same person) and my family is not dysfunctional.

I don't understand this current thing where you have to disconnect. Everything I've aimed for has been to be as connected as possible. Maybe it's because when I actually don't want to be bothered - I just don't engage. IDK, but running away from something I've always been running TOWARDS seems crazy to me.

Apple_Robert

macrumors Penryn
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
From 1980 to present I've done my damndest to get as much tech as I could and to be as online and engaged with online sites as possible. At the same time, I graduated from high school, got and held jobs, got an AA degree, dated, got married, had kids and bought a home. My wife and kids are not neglected (I've been married for 24 years to the same person) and my family is not dysfunctional.

I don't understand this current thing where you have to disconnect. Everything I've aimed for has been to be as connected as possible. Maybe it's because when I actually don't want to be bothered - I just don't engage. IDK, but running away from something I've always been running TOWARDS seems crazy to me.
It all comes down to balance. Some people struggle with that and end up going to extremes; thus the other areas of their life suffers even more than it was prior to MR and other triggers.

MBAir2010

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2018
sunny florida
Since i used to repair macs in a college town USA and worked freelance stock an  store
there has to be a helpful voice of reason for easy repairs and software issues beside buy a new mac.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It all comes down to balance. Some people struggle with that and end up going to extremes; thus the other areas of their life suffers even more than it was prior to MR and other triggers.
I struggle with that, especially when I was younger. I'm not saying my wife and I have never had our fights over things. But you learn that if there is something you truly want to continue to keep doing, take care of the other stuff. Otherwise, you screw yourself in the long run.

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003

It really feels good to be here after a long day.
It's interesting that you feel that way even as a newbie that hasn't engaged in the forums before now.

For some people it's the consumer product information, for some it's the tech, for some it's the debate in the forums, for some it's a place to keep current on events that aren't so horribly political. I've been here for some combination of those reasons at different times over the years.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
15 years ago yes. Now, not as much.
I'm on one of my many computers from shortly after I get up to the time I leave the front room for bed. Then it's my iPad for an hour or more. MR gets visited consistently over all that time.

I work from home now, but even when I was in the office the work Mac was being used to visit this and other sites during the course of my work day. I chose a profession (graphic design) where using computers and being online was a requirement. Nothing about my online habits has changed in 22 years, except perhaps spending more time on websites.

Reactions: MBAir2010

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago
I think it has something to do with the Macrumors personality. We like to share thoughts and discuss what's new in Apple and other technology, as well as a variety of other topics of interest. It's great to share and learn from each other, especially in this increasingly sequestered world. It does provide kind of a refuge from the isolation we currently have to live in.

lclev

macrumors demi-goddess
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I have probably spent more time on MR just reading over the years. Several years ago I bought a used 2010 cMP plus a bunch of parts. MacRumors became a huge resource for me. I rebuilt, upgraded and breathed new life into the old girl who is still running perfectly today.

Lately with all the long delays due to the chip shortages, we have had a lot of fun posting during the excessive waiting. The longest waits so far has been with the new M1 MBP's. It is very supportive to have others on here going through the same mess with you. Also so much information get shared here. It is awesome.

I probably check in here several times a day. I also post on several other forums that interest me.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I find it interesting to read about balance from people with 3x my amount of posts.
I literally do the things I need to around visiting MacRumors and a couple of other sites. That all starts around 4:15am and doesn't end until about 10 or 11pm.

If nothing's been posted in the forums I watch here, I'll try another one of the sites I frequent for a few minutes then come back. Pretty much, I live here.

Still I manage to get other things done, such as holding down a job, keeping a house and getting the family where they need to be for the day. :D

ericwn

macrumors G3
Apr 24, 2016
I literally do the things I need to around visiting MacRumors and a couple of other sites. That all starts around 4:15am and doesn't end until about 10 or 11pm.

If nothing's been posted in the forums I watch here, I'll try another one of the sites I frequent for a few minutes then come back. Pretty much, I live here.

Still I manage to get other things done, such as holding down a job, keeping a house and getting the family where they need to be for the day. :D

Yup sure, sounds perfectly balanced to me. I don’t have a perfect recipe either, but in my opinion anybody with a 5 digit posting count would probably benefit from more time away from forums.

And make no mistake, the fact that my post count is close to 5 digits as well tells you all about my “balance”, LOL.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The ones who suffer the most are the ones flip flopping between devices and never settling for the one thing based on whatever. Those are the people who should be reconsidering what a place like this does for them and why they're even buying the stuff to begin with.

Them and the people who get into endless arguments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.