Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe today announced the release of Photoshop Elements 8 for both Mac and Windows, bringing significant updates to the company's top-selling consumer photo editing software.
Photoshop Elements 8 for Mac now includes all of the intelligent photo-editing options as the Windows version. In addition to Photomerge Exposure, Recompose and Quick Fix previews, Photoshop Elements 8 for Mac features Scene Cleaner for brushing away unwanted elements, such as tourists or cars, from a series of photos to create the perfect scene. The Smart Brush helps users apply incredible effects to a specific area of a photo with a single stroke and Touch-Up brushes make common editing tasks quick, such as whitening teeth or making bright blue skies. When creations are ready to be shared with family and friends, users can display their photos on the Web with gallery templates or personal Web pages, by e-mail and on CD or DVD.
While the Windows version is available today, the Mac version of Photoshop Elements 8 will begin shipping next month. Pricing is set at $99.99, although Adobe is offering a $20 mail-in rebate for certain purchases made through October 31st. Full rebate details are available in the terms and conditions.

Article Link: Adobe Announces Photoshop Elements 8

temtexdent

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2007
iPhoto

Anyone see anything on how well it will integrate with the iPhoto database? If at all?

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
did we just skip version 7 completely?

any upgrades for version 6 owners?

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
How is this any better than iPhoto or Picasa?

Besides costing more?

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Anyone see anything on how well it will integrate with the iPhoto database? If at all?

Photoshop has always had near perfect integration with iPhoto database.

iPhoto makes it easy to integrate any image editor so this is nothing special about Photoshop, Gimp can work the same way. The is a preferences field where you specify the "default image editor" and then iPhoto will launch and hand off an image to whatever program you specify.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
I searched all over the Adobe site for upgrade pricing but can't find it. It looks like there's a $20 mail-in rebate to make the product $79.99 but that it's for new purchases only.

I would hope that for owners of versions 6 & 4 upgrades are priced at either $49.99 or $59.99.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
There is NO upgrade pricing for Photoshop Elements. Never has been. It just comes in one flavor whether you have a previous version or not. It's all or nothing with this level of software.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
I searched all over the Adobe site for upgrade pricing but can't find it. It looks like there's a $20 mail-in rebate to make the product $79.99 but that it's for new purchases only.

I would hope that for owners of versions 6 & 4 upgrades are priced at either $49.99 or $59.99.

In the UK, the upgrade is only £11 cheaper than the full product!

Doesn't seem to be an upgrade in the US? but then with the rebate, the cost for a full product is almost the same in GBP as Dollars, no suprise eh?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
It's about time Adobe releases their software on Mac the same time as Windows. Adobe treats the Mac community like their doing us a favor. :mad:

MrMoore

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
Arlington Heights,IL
Great. :D At least they are now trying to make the upgrades at the same time for both Windows and Mac users. Maybe Adobe saw how nice a image editor program like Pixelmator can be.

did we just skip version 7 completely?

any upgrades for version 6 owners?

They also skipped version 5 for Mac Users. Also AFAIK, Adobe has never had upgrade price for Photoshop Elements.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
It's about time Adobe releases their software on Mac the same time as Windows. Adobe treats the Mac community like their doing us a favor. :mad:

Apple has changed from PPC to Intel and from Carbon to Cocoa in the last few years. You might have noticed this. Some Mac developers have had to change development tools as well as APIs.

gt1948

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
Snow Leopard?

Does it work with Snow Leopard? 64Bit?
CS4 Photoshop sure is doing a lot of crashing.

hhaeschen

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
EU
My question as well. Already paid $100 for 6, but would be interested if an upgrade price is somewhat reasonable

There seems to be an upgrade version in the European online stores of Adobe, although price-wise there's no advantage over the mail-in-rebate in the US.
Just the process is less painful.

iZac

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2003
Shanghai
"Photoshop elements" makes me shudder ever since my boss bought it thinking "its just like photoshop" I had to endure it for months.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
$99 is a bit steep. $79 is ok. but considering how often I use the software and what I mostly do Pixelmator for $49 is a much better deal for me.

Zygon Gambit

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
England
I've been happily using Photoshop Elements 3 for quite some time now; I wonder if there is anything in this new version that would actually improve it for me? All the announced features in that article don't sound that vital.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
The rebate is good until 10/31/10. The story makes it sound like you must buy it in the next 1.5 months, but you actually have 13.5 months.

You might want to update the story...

ericinboston

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2008
Why is this on Macrumors?!?!?!

Why is this on Macrumors?!?!?! :mad:

Is this website now Adobe Rumors?!!?!

What a waste...this site far different than a year ago for reporting decent rumors/news...the "news" is rarely related to "mac rumors"...it's barely related to APPLE rumors.

Sheeeeeez.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.