Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
Don't throw those of us who have common sense in with the "warez" crowd. As much as I want every program in my honestly purchased CS3 Design Premium bundle to work without issue on the brand new OS X, I understand that CS3 is more than two years old and will not always be compatible with everything that ever comes out.

My problem is, I was lured into believing CS3.3 was a 'real' upgrade. I checked, my receipt said I bought it July 2008. So that makes it just over a year old.

I don't really understand what's so hard about back-porting code to CS3 for major bugs, there's a whole slew of major software companies that do that (including Apple I might add). I would assume Adobe is well aware of how to make use of svn/cvs...

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I'm installing Snow Leopard on my MBA right now to test all the CS3 programs before I decide whether or not to install on my production machine (iMac).

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
In CS3 under SL I opened a RAW file in Bridge, adjusted settings in ACR, opened in 16-bit into Photoshop, ran some of my custom PS actions, saved file successfully.

In Indesign I created a new file and designed a page and saved it. Then reopened it and exported as a .pdf with no problems.

Opened a large eBook in Acrobat Professional and scrolled around and searched for text everything seems in order thus far.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
In CS3 under SL I opened a RAW file in Bridge, adjusted settings in ACR, opened in 16-bit into Photoshop, ran some of my custom PS actions, saved file successfully.

In Indesign I created a new file and designed a page and saved it. Then reopened it and exported as a .pdf with no problems.

Opened a large eBook in Acrobat Professional and scrolled around and searched for text everything seems in order thus far.

Great! Now how about Illustrator? It's the one with PPC code, there can be some unexpected random trouble, though I'd expect normal routines be just fine...

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
Great! Now how about Illustrator? It's the one with PPC code, there can be some unexpected random trouble, though I'd expect normal routines be just fine...

So far, I've done limited testing in Photoshop, Bridge, Illustrator, InDesign, NeoOffice, WeatherDock and Linotype FontExplorer X v. 1.2.3 (fonts auto activate). I have not had any issues whatsoever. That being said, there could be bugs buried deep within menu items that I haven't tested yet. Only time will tell.

With Illustrator I opened old Illustrator 6 files (system thinks they are SimpleText format docs so you need to use the 'Open With' Illustrator right click command). I have also opened and played around with Illustrator CS3 .eps files. In the docs, I've moved vector points, run filters, saved as .pdf, auto activated fonts (with FontExplorer X), replaced fonts, changed item colors/gradients, created outlines from fonts, save for web, etc.

From what I can tell-nothing is broken. If there is anything specific you'd like me to try I probably have time to do that.

Incidentally Preview seems to run pretty fast with large .pdfs. You may want to set up that app as default for .pdfs since I'm sure Apple will continue to bump up the performance of Preview in software updates.

Kiwiuk

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
CS3 Creative Suite & Snow Leopard

I purchased Adobe Creative Suite 3 not long ago and it works fine with Leopard 10.5.8 - I was however thinking of upgrading to Snow Leopard.. After reading about Adobe not supporting or upgrading such a recent version of CS I am dissappointed and think I will just stick with 10.5.8.. For that matter other software has limitations as well with Snow Leopard - I use Office 2008 (yes I know, I am a previous PC user and had so many excel and word documents it made sense to - Without running Windows on my macs..) and I believe that is limited or very slow. Also other software I use like Eizo Colour Navigator, Eye1 Match, Profile Maker I have know idea if they will work after an upgrade..
I am sticking with Leopard for the moment...

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Everyone I talk to thinks CS4 is a big steaming pile and are downgrading to CS3 or even CS2. Adobe knows this and is grasping at straws to get people to upgrade. Their stock growth has been anemic since February when everything else has been recovering most of their post-election losses.

I know I'm just one guy, but CS4 has been awesome for me since the updates.
Parts of CS3 were very, very spotty - Bridge was totally unusable on my Mac Pro. 8 cores, 16 gigs of ram? Ha! Bridge laughed at my puny machine. It would beachball anytime I selected more than 5 RAW photos at a time, which in a word, is unacceptable.

Now, I open 400-500 RAW files at time in ACR with CS4, and it doesn't miss a beat.

Being able to see photos at any resolution without the jagged effect is very welcome.

Now, all that said, I'm bummed that Adobe won't be supporting CS3 on SL. It's not like their suite is cheap, and even the upgrade costs gets a little nauseating year after year.

krayziekray

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Since Photoshop CS to Photoshop CS3 all run through Rosetta on Intel powered macs, is there any difference between them (in-terms of performance).

Reason I ask is, I currently have CS installed (works fine for the small amount of image manipulation I do) and know someone who is able to get me a nice new copy of CS3 at a very decent price, but if it has no improvement in terms of performance, i don't think i will ever need the new features. So may prove to be abit pointless. And yes, I did ask her, she cant get CS4.

Anyone like to share their views? Advice?

:apple: KrayzieKray :apple:

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Since Photoshop CS to Photoshop CS3 all run through Rosetta on Intel powered macs, is there any difference between them (in-terms of performance).

CS3 was marketed Intel-native, and it mostly is. Recently people have found out that parts of the bundle (small parts of Illustrator) are in fact still PPC.

Has Adobe lied on us? :p

krayziekray

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
CS3 was marketed Intel-native, and it mostly is. Recently people have found out that parts of the bundle (small parts of Illustrator) are in fact still PPC.

Has Adobe lied on us? :p

Hmmm, I just assumed that CS3 was not Intel-native since having a look at the System Requirements of CS3 (here).

It states that you need PPC or Intel, so I would have guessed it was running using Rosetta.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Hmmm, I just assumed that CS3 was not Intel-native since having a look at the System Requirements of CS3 (here).

It states that you need PPC or Intel, so I would have guessed it was running using Rosetta.

You assumed wrong. Adobe clearly marketed that CS3 was Intel-native, and made that point before it was even released. They refused to release Intel-native CS2 because of that reasoning...

krayziekray

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
You assumed wrong. Adobe clearly marketed that CS3 was Intel-native, and made that point before it was even released. They refused to release Intel-native CS2 because of that reasoning...

I guess I did ;)

Anyway, anyone care to comment on whether it would be a worthwhile move to go from CS to CS3 on my intel macbook, dispite the fact i probably won't use the new features (mainly switching for the speed [since cs3 is intel-native])???

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Anyway, anyone care to comment on whether it would be a worthwhile move to go from CS to CS3 on my intel macbook, dispite the fact i probably won't use the new features (mainly switching for the speed [since cs3 is intel-native])???
I know I'm trying to hold off at least for the 64-bit-cocoa-ness of CS5.

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
Are you sure - I'd worry that they won't get the 64-bit Cocoa bugs fixed before CS6.

Of course, you could use 64-bit CS4 today if better performance was important to you....

If adobe were smart, moving to Cocoa should have been on their cards for at least three years now - but given the low quality of Adobes products over all, I'm not surprised that some brainless halfwitt of a manage decided that his private jet and expensive meals to smoozie with 'big customers' was more important than investing the dollars into the product line up.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
anyone care to comment on whether it would be a worthwhile move to go from CS to CS3 on my intel macbook, dispite the fact i probably won't use the new features (mainly switching for the speed [since cs3 is intel-native])???

Probably not.

a) CS1 does not have activation keys so your life will be easier with it, assuming it works with the OS you're using
b) CS3 support as we've discussed is dropped from SL, so you would be better upgrading to the latest CS4 if you need to upgrade now
c) CS5 should be released soon enough. If you can wait for it, I believe it will pay off

Point being, if it works, wait.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Are you sure - I'd worry that they won't get the 64-bit Cocoa bugs fixed before CS6.

Of course, you could use 64-bit CS4 today if better performance was important to you....
I've got a new 7D to pay for. :cool:

And, no, I'm not running Windows at home. At least at work I get paid for my trouble. ;-)

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Excuse me, but [asking as a 40D owner] where's the point -- it isn't full frame, it isn't that much faster...
As a 50D owner, the new AF sold me -- right there.

Also, the metering improvements, new viewfinder (100%/100%, the LCD focusing screen, electronic level), and weather sealing for backpacking/backcountry use (the electronic level should be good for remote panos). And I'll be interested to put the new wireless flash through the gauntlet (I'm getting into the Strobist thing and that feature alone should free up a 430EX II).

But if the only improvement was the new AF system, that probably would've done it for me right there. I can't wait to put this thing through it's paces. :cool:

John.B

Oh, almost forgot, the direct print button (cleverly hidden in the JPEG/RAW button)! LOL!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I just bought an EFD focusing screen with the grid overlay for my 50D, it's still in its box unopened; I'm guessing that can go back to B&H tomorrow. :)

krayziekray

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Probably not.

a) CS1 does not have activation keys so your life will be easier with it, assuming it works with the OS you're using
b) CS3 support as we've discussed is dropped from SL, so you would be better upgrading to the latest CS4 if you need to upgrade now
c) CS5 should be released soon enough. If you can wait for it, I believe it will pay off

Point being, if it works, wait.

Thanks for the info. Yeh I can wait for CS5, since CS1 seems to be working fine at the moment.

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.