Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
On the contrary -- If they're going to actually utilize Apple's API's it has a good chance it is less buggy than their own ancient implementations.
I really hope so. I also hop they move to a non-modal system of inspectors. I can't believe you still get nagging dialogs that won't let you do anything until you acknowledge them. We can do better. It's almost freakin' ten years into the new century.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Part of the issue was Apple changing its mind last minute on the Carbon 64 issue. Adobe had already finished a Carbon 64 version with a plan to release CS5 in full Cocoa but things changed. Thats why Windows has a 64 bit version and CS4 is crap.

Bingo. It really is that simple.

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
Typical corporate upgrade-ladder BS... oh well. At least 10.6 isn't that necessary of an upgrade, so CS3 users will be fine unless they want to test the waters of 10.6 (which is up to their own discretion). At work I was still on 10.4 using CS3, and it didn't really hamper me at all.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Have you looked at Bibble Pro or Lightzone, or any of the other alternatives?

Those look like Aperture. I am not doing photography, I am doing graphics creation for video etc.

Not by Apple, but very close....

Pixelmator
http://www.pixelmator.com
tempobig.jpg

And only $59. Will run beautifully on Snow Leopard!

WOW! Now that looks NICE! :eek: Why have I never heard of this before? Is it friendly with graphics and video production, like with templates etc.? And is it compatible with Photoshop & Creative Suite?

Take some valium and please go lay down for a bit. CS3 works in SL. All software has bugs. Leopard was the buggiest OSX evah. The sun will not blow up tomorrow. Don't worry. Be happy.

Yes all software has bugs, but you are saying it is ok to have OBVIOUS visual MAJOR GUI and other bugs over a year after your product have been released that STILL are NOT fixed??? I don't think so! :rolleyes: If CS3 is this crappy still in Leopard, how well could it possibly run in Snow Leopard? Adobe sucks period!

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Here, get on Twitter and give Adobe hell. Be very vocal, they NEED to f***ing support CS3. It's not like we're asking them to support some version of Photoshop from the 90s. This is ridiculous!!!

You mean like SL not supporting PPC Macs ?

You haven't read any of the posts in this thread. CS3 works in SL. They do not "need to f***ing support CS3". Grow up.

ryanflucas

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2006
Milwaukee, WI
I didn't read the entire thread and maybe this makes me sound like a raving lunatic. Wouldn't it be highly beneficial for Apple to use some of its cash coffers and buy out Adobe?

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
I didn't read the entire thread and maybe this makes me sound like a raving lunatic. Wouldn't it be highly beneficial for Apple to use some of its cash coffers and buy out Adobe?

Don't sound like a raving lunatic, but...

Why would they spend money on Premiere, Audition, Encore, After Effects, Sound Booth...:confused:

And when they killed the Windows versions, which they would, they throw away over half of Adobe's revenue.:confused:

cocamouthwash

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2009
These United States
Cheap?

There's a big difference then being "cheap" and being unwilling to purchase the newest Intel Mac with their credit card. People who are cheap are the ones buying computers with Windows.

My PowerBook is running Leopard faster than it did Tiger... it's still productive. Cheap would be running Panther on an iBook G3. I'll upgrade when I *NEED* to.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Adobe will probably have a major re write ala SL to take advantages of all the latest features and don't want to be bogged down by legacy code, and I don't blame them for that. I applaud them.

Who says? Adobe has NEVER tried to take advantage of Mac OS X's advanced operating system API's. They've said repeatedly that they won't use libraries like the Core frameworks (Image, Audio, Animation, Video, etc) simply because they don't exist on Windows.

You can bet they won't optimize for Grand Central either. I don't even think they've joined as an OpenCL partner.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Who says? Adobe has NEVER tried to take advantage of Mac OS X's advanced operating system API's. They've said repeatedly that they won't use libraries like the Core frameworks (Image, Audio, Animation, Video, etc) simply because they don't exist on Windows.

You can bet they won't optimize for Grand Central either. I don't even think they've joined as an OpenCL partner.
You are absolutely right!

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
OMG! 2.5 years old! That's so old! WTF Adobe. It's only one version of your software ago and not much has changed. In fact, their software changes very little from version to version. So, I'm supposed to spend thousands to update my bundle every year? No sir. Perhaps Adobe should support their software from last year, THIS year. That's what it amounts to. CS3 was their cutting edge offering last year. Now it's this year and they abandon support for it on the latest OS. Weak!

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
Actually, Adobe's *big* customers don't immediately upgrade to the latest OS, unlike the hobbyists who hang out here posting every change in their shipping notices.

So, Adobe's stance on Vista was reasonable - they had a release scheduled within month's of Vista's full availability, and they targeted full support for that release.

*shrug* I've been using Photoshop CS (yes CS!) with Windows Vista, and it seems to work alright....

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
We'll see. If it is, I'm buying!

One of the Adobe guys posted a blog on Adobe explaining the whole WWDC Carbon 64 and Cocoa issue. Adobe was very up front with why CS4 was 32 bit and why it was lacking. It was rushed to market in order to fulfill its product cycle. The expectation again was that Carbon 64 and Leopard would be supported. When it was not last minute Adobe was left hanging and had to scramble to put together CS4. Its really that simple. Adobe may charge a lot etc etc but this really isn't all their fault. Adobe also announced that PowerPC support would go away on their next release.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
weak move, I know you can't support all old versions but the last one should still be supported in my eyes.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
In any case, Adobe can get away with what it likes, at least for the time being. There is currently no competition in existence for Adobe's Creative Suite, at least nothing even remotely viable, in a single integrated package, or "suite" of apps.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
It's at least compatible with Photoshop PSDs.

Ya, but not everything in .psd files. :( I am giving it a try though, it looks very nice.

Apple needs to buy that company! SERIOUSLY! :eek:

Congrats to the devs, that is a VERY NICE piece of software.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
You mean like SL not supporting PPC Macs ?

You haven't read any of the posts in this thread. CS3 works in SL. They do not "need to f***ing support CS3". Grow up.

Considering how much money people spend on Creative Suite, yes they do need to support it. I think I spent $400 on an educational version. The retail version is more than $1,000. CS3 is hardly old software. I bought it in late 2007. It was released barely 2 years ago. For Adobe to stop supporting a product so soon is totally insane. I thought jumping to CS4 so soon was totally insane because of the same issue. These two-year turnarounds on versions seem more like a money grab than actual improvements. Apple has that turnaround on an OS, but Leopard and Tiger only cost $129 for one or $199 for five. Upgrading JUST PHOTOSHOP costs $199.

It just seems like an overly dominant sector of the computer world choking its customers. As far as Power PC processors, gimme a break. Those were discontinued about 3.5 years ago. If Adobe was dropping support for CS2, I'd be understanding it. But there's a huge difference in the computing world between 2 years and 4 years.

DrPhibes

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
Let's see... ridiculous prices and every time they change versions they make sure the previous versions can't open files that were saved from the newest versions and now this ********. Nice going Adobe this why everyone is stealing your ****.

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
One more time Captain Sparrow, CS3 is working with SL.

But for how long? Adobe has clearly stated they have ceased supporting CS3. Lets compare it to another big name in the software world - Microsoft. Microsoft support their software products for up to (and in some cases more) 5 years! I might be willing to cut Adobe some slack if they were a small outfit struggling to make ends meet but Adobe isn't such an organisation.

Creative Suite are struggling with each release to not only sell but to grow their base; they refuse to expand outside their niche so the only thing they have less is to push new releases via a short release cycle and cutting off support under the blaming of the operating system vendor for releasing a new version of their operating system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.