Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Adobe continues to be my least favorite software company! Ever since I got Aperture, I do 99.9% of my photo workflow in Aperture. So, when I subsequently got my Canon 5D Mark II and found that Adobe had zero plans to support the 5D Mark II RAW files in the Adobe Camera Raw version for Photoshop CS3, my immediate (and continued) thought was Adobe can STICK IT! How incredibly difficult would it be for Adobe to release a version of ACR that supports newer camera RAW files in older versions of Photoshop? They are ALREADY doing the RAW conversions in the ACR for the latest version of Photoshop. They simply have to make the code change necessary to allow that version of ACR to work with the older Photoshop.

But they wont... Why? Because they are greedy bastards and they want you to spend $200 to upgrade to the latest version. Been there, done that, TOO many times! In total, I've spent $1,200 on Photoshop and subsequent upgrades! I'm not about to spend another $200 when Photoshop is such a limited part of my photo workflow.

Fortunately, Aperture allows me to quickly and easily output any of my 5D MkII images as .psd files and open them automatically in Photoshop. God Bless Apple and their FANTASTIC Aperture program!

This whole "Creative Suite 3 Unsupported" press release is simply one more scare tactic attempt by Adobe to generate more income. It's my belief that the slow economy has impacted them more than they care to admit. If they want to increase sales, they ought to think about doing what most of the rest of the businesses in America are doing..... lower their damn incredibly ridiculous prices!

Mark

abemonkey

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7C116a,Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C9 Safari/419.3)

I just switched to mac a few weeks ago and was forced to switch to cs4 because Adobe forces you to upgrade to the latest version when doing a cross-platform switch. The uprade for production premium was $500, on sale so not too bad. But as others have said, just because it's not supporting cs3 for Snow Leopard doesn't mean that it won't work.

JonasLondon

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
London
Have been using Photoshop and Illustrator CS3 on Snow Leopard 10A432 for about a week now and have had no problems. While Adobe may not officially support CS3, on my machines at least, they run without issue.

Thanks for that - sounds promising!
I can live with the occasional glitch on them, and I do want SnowLeopard a great deal more than CS4. Seems we might be able to tie us over to CS5 which hopefully brings Adobe back into the "Wow!" category.

Aperture 3 remains my favourite "looking forward to" piece of software... :)

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
As a CS3 user, this is a bummer. Anyone hear anything about Pixelmator support on Snow Leopard?

Haven't seen it as a problem in the compatibility lists. You can bet that the author of Pixelmaor will certainly (and in a timely fashion) endure SL support, if it isn't already there.

I love Pixelmator.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
I used to place the blame solely on Adobe but you have to throw some at Apple as well for this.

During the last two major CS releases Apple has switched to platforms to Intel (a huge change and a lot of code), switched to Cocoa forcing Adobe to scrap 64bit Carbon code on the mac side and is now dropping PPC support for Snow Leopard forcing Adobe to again modify their code (for the better).

On top of all that they have to support two versions of CS4 while trying to rewrite CS5 for the Mac and continue developing it for Windows. (a much larger user base) As crappy as it is for CS3 users I can see how they don't want to spend the time to re-work a previous release to once again meet another shift in Apple's OS and legacy support. (as in no more PPC)

I think a warm place just froze over because I just defended Adobe! :eek:

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I am here to say that CS4 is absolutely NOT completely compatible with Snow Leopard no matter what Adobe says. I use Illustrator and Photoshop every day and there are several small but very annoying bugs.

You can no longer drag and drop photos from a web page into either program. The biggest problem is in Photoshop when using tools. When you click the mouse button, the cursor disappears so I can't see what I'm painting or touching up.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
It's interesting to see that although the Creative Suite is the de facto standard in its class, more and more people find it unpleasant to work with.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
I know I'm currently wondering if I should upgrade to SL or CS4. I run CS3 and I am not in the mood to buy CS4 for the same reason someone noted above, it's a minor update.

...wait till CS5. It should becoming out sooner than later.... I'm hoping :(

Hopefully, CS5 will gain all the needs/wants from having a 64-bit OS. CS5 could be epic!

awesomebase

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Maryland
Adobe just keeps digging their grave

You know, it never ceases to surprise me how absolutely ridiculous Adobe has gotten. They charge outrageous prices for software that reached its peak like 10 years ago. They have like 30 products that overlap at least one other product with about 75% of its functionality. And then they have the nerve to say that once you do spend your money with them, that you're not gonna get any support for your product if you have issues and a "newer" version is out.
I have the CS3 Web Design package and as much as I want to continue to use their products, I'm becoming much more determined to find better, cheaper and more supportive options. As far as I'm concerned, Adobe is going to continue to treat their customers like cr*p until people stop buying their products and put them in their place... Anybody remember what happened to FM for Mac?

windon

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2008
This my friends is what happens when you are a monopoly.

Adobe has been going to the dark side since they bought Aldus. Upon this announcement they are full fledged vaders.

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
This is plain laziness and greediness on Adobes AND Apples part. An OS upgrade from one version to the next should not render all programs running on the older version inoperable. There are times (like when going from OS 9 to OS X) that this is the case because the changes are so large that it's unavoidable, but in general it should not happen. It's stuff like this that prevents large corps from adopting Apple.

For all the flak MS gets, they do try to maintain some semblance of backwards compatibility. Ignoring drivers (and really that's understandable) I have many apps that originally worked under win98 or win2k that still run w/o problems in WinXP, Vista, and now Win7.

So, Adobe/Apple why don't you guys step up to the plate and fix things instead of trying to milk your customers out of even more money?

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
I used to place the blame solely on Adobe but you have to throw some at Apple as well for this.

During the last two major CS releases Apple has switched to platforms to Intel (a huge change and a lot of code), switched to Cocoa forcing Adobe to scrap 64bit Carbon code on the mac side and is now dropping PPC support for Snow Leopard forcing Adobe to again modify their code (for the better).

On top of all that they have to support two versions of CS4 while trying to rewrite CS5 for the Mac and continue developing it for Windows. (a much larger user base) As crappy as it is for CS3 users I can see how they don't want to spend the time to re-work a previous release to once again meet another shift in Apple's OS and legacy support. (as in no more PPC)

I think a warm place just froze over because I just defended Adobe! :eek:

...there is a lot of truth to what you are saying ;)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I will be seriously pissed if Adobe does this.

Creative Suite is not a software bundle a lot of people can afford to have EVERY version of.

I understand that adobe wants to push people into the new thing but if I have to choose between upgrading computer hardware every 2 - 3 years or upgrading creative suite I'll always pick computer hardware because it actually slows down and needs replaced after so long.

I can pick up any version of photoshop CS and up and it does exactly what I need it to.

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Has anyone tested CS3's version of After Effects (v8)?

It is great to see such a high level of support from a company that charges such an unbelievable amount of money for their software. Then again I guess they do a better job than some of the $10K+ software suites out there (boujou, I am looking at you).

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Well as a CS3 user I'm happy to hear some are reporting there hasn't been any issues.

I get not supporting CS2, but CS3 is still relatively new. Adobe and Apple are like Ice Cream and Apple Pie - it is a little shocking to me that Adobe is snubbing us CS3 users.

I have no desire to go and spend another $600 on an Adobe Suite that I bought less than a year ago. :rolleyes:

micko2004

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
How hard would it be for 1 member of Adobe Staff, just 1, to spend a week testing CS3?

Such a lame excuse!

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
...there is a lot of truth to what you are saying ;)

Well it's hard to get some of this across over the shouting for Adobe's collective heads.:D

I should have added that I make a living off of my CS upgrades and one project easily pays twice as much as the upgrade (which usually lasts 2 years) but I do agree with a lot of the disdain for the bugs, crashes, and downright sluggishness that never used to be there back in Ill 8 or PS 6/7.

How is it I have a 20X more powerful machine now but it runs slower than a 9 year old version on a crappy Dell? I hope that Apple cools down with the major OS changes and Adobe buckles in and works on SPEED and STABILITY. (Looking mostly at you Illustrator!)

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
More I hear about software compatibility more it appears to be likely that I will pass SL...

It will be great value for money - no doubt!

But perhaps not that great if half of my software ends up unusable or bugged :s

I will be extremely busy at work for at least another 3 months and I simply can not afford software not to work or indeed to endlessly wait for some promised SL patch.

Pass for now... :(

WebbDogg

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2004
IS
As a user of InDesign (not highly complexy stuff, annual reports, newsletters, studies and such like) since it first came out, I feel this has always been an InDesign feature, no? :)

It's a good program, but at the same time I must admit I have hardly touched it this year. I have been using Pages a lot more though. Not wanting to start a comparison etc., I know InDesign is the big Gorilla etc.

But, alas, even PS use has gone down significantly with other SW taking over (Aperture, Photomatrix, PTGui, Final Cut, Motion, )...

Interesting how this market will look in 2011 :) :apple:

It's a much more prolific "feature" than it used to be, at least in my experience so far. :mad:

igazza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
earth
adobe is money hungry, they want you to upgrade to CS4 then they will release CS5 that will be 64 bit so you will upgrade again

:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.