Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
This is just another round is the perpetual cat fight that Adobe and Apple constantly have. Apple won't put Flash on the iPhone (because Flash mobile is crap) and so Adobe announces CS3 is not "supported" in an attempt to scare off SL updaters.

All that said, from reports I've read CS3 works mostly fine in SL. It's not supported, but when does Adobe ever really support retired versions unless its security related? And looking at it from Adobe's perspective, why would they want to spend valuable resources checking and fixing compatibility on an out-of-production title? It makes no financial sense. That said Adobe could offer a less expensive upgrade path for CS3 owners to entice them.

CS3 works fine for me and I assume it will do find in SL too. Typically I only upgrade every other version. I can't justify upgrading each time at $600.

smeagol

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2003
New York
I hope Snow Leopard brings with it an update to Aperture... And maybe iLife as well

Well said Mark. Adobe CS is nothing more than overpriced, bloated subscription software you have to update every 12-18 months. It's reminds me of those anti-virus software programs you have to renew every year for the PC. And every release the quality and stability of CS gets worse and worse, clearly the software needs more time in the cooker before it's ready for prime time.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
Adobe did this with CS2 and Leopard, now they're doing it with Snow Leopard and CS3. It is funny how many people here blame Apple when the responsibility rests on Adobe's shoulders to properly support their products for the long term.

If you were say a component supplier for HDTV's and Samsung says to you "Hey we are switching platforms but only 50/50 for now, so you need to support both" you would have to pay to retool your plant at your own expense to keep them as a customer.

Then a couple years later Samsung comes back and says "Yeah we are releasing another major revision so we are now scrapping the old platform, but we want you to keep supporting the older platform but we aren't going to pay you to do so" you once again have to stop everything and retool a second time in only three years at your expense.

Meanwhile your plant supporting Toshiba has had small changes but the core components have stayed the same for 9 years and hasn't required a retooling in almost a decade.

Now, which company would you rather do business with? I'm guessing not Apple.. sorry I mean Samsung. ;)

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Except were Tiger and Leopard excessively large in their support of PowerPC programs?

The exception proves the rule. I think people underestimate how difficult these OS transitions are. For Apple and application vendors. I do prefer Apple's approach to MS'.

scoobs69

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2009
Looks like I'll be waiting to upgrade to Snow Leopard (10.6.4?) when CS5 is released sometime next year.

I'm running the CS3 Design Suite Standard on 10.6. InDesign crashes occasionally and all the programs occasionally crash on startup.

I sincerely hope they issue a patch as not everyone purchases the upgrade every year.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The way that Apple is supporting PPC users in SL ? Fail.

Fail for who? Cheap ass PPC owners that refuse to come into the Intel world. It's just silly to think Apple would continue to support PPC more than two OS updates past the end of the PPC era. Apple can't continue to design good products if they have to account for 5 year old least common denominator computers.

Apple is the winner with SL anyway you look at it.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Jeez, this is beginning to sound messy. I run CS3. It HAS to work or no SL for me.

Have you missed the posts where people have said that CS3 is working with SL.

One more time girls. Adobe has said CS3 is not supported, not that it won't work.

mikecap

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
The most compelling reasons I could see to upgrade to a new version of CS would be full 64-bit compatability and GPU acceleration. Are these things available in CS4? If not, why not??

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Fail for who? Cheap ass PPC owners that refuse to come into the Intel world. It's just silly to think Apple would continue to support PPC more than two OS updates past the end of the PPC era. Apple can't continue to design good products if they have to account for 5 year old least common denominator computers.

I agree. If Apple continued to support PPC it would be at the expense of Intel uses because all that legacy code would have to be on SL.

Besides, Leopard is a great OS and the few under-the-hood changes in SL utilize the new hardware of Macs.

JohnnyLemonhead

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2008
Once again Adobe sticks it to their customers and plays hardball. They better enjoy the halcyon days of charging a few thousands dollars for en editing suite because that--like everything else in the digital media world--will come to an end with the proliferation of free, freemium and open-source software. These types of tactics just accelerate that change.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I wonder how many now-irate owners of older versions of CS were among those good folk previously telling PPC G5 owners that they should "just suck it up" on lack of Snow Leopard support? :rolleyes:

It's expensive to support old stuff. Less support for old stuff means more resources to add groovy new features to the latest and greatest. So, suck it up, old CS owners, just as we G5 owners have already done. ;)

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
this blows.

As a web and software design, I need to support back to IE 6, released in 2001 and IE 7 released in 2005.

And they think they dont need to support it because "its 2 years old"

WAY to go Adobe.... nice way to treat the customer. Nice way to keep profits up.

NO... YOU... DON'T!

Ditch IE6... DITCH IT. If Youtube requires you to get IE 7 and Flash 9, you can safely assume your customers will have that.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Given that Adobe has accelerated their product cycle, it seems disingenuous for them to not support CS3 because it's "old software". It is fortunate (for CS3 users) that it will apparently function on Snow Leopard, but Adobe doesn't deserve any slack for that.

Happily, I am mostly free of Adobe for my personal stuff. Aperture 2 has the features I need for my photography, and Pages can handle my simple print needs. I do have to use Dreamweaver, Photoshop, InDesign etc. at work - but those aren't my dollars.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Cheap ass PPC owners that refuse to come into the Intel world.

That's pretty insulting. You want to take a breath and take your foot out ?

It's just silly to think Apple would continue to support PPC more than two OS updates past the end of the PPC era. Apple can't continue to design good products if they have to account for 5 year old least common denominator computers.

So you're holding Adobe to a different standard than Apple ? I guess there are no Adobe cultists. :D

You can see into the future ? Way to go, Jackson. You da man. :cool:

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Kick in the teeth!

Did not upgrade because 1. CS3 was good enough and 2. Its was still a carbon/32-bit based application.

As others have said, Adobe is the New Microsoft.

lawgraphix

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2006
how many of you actually do the adobe updates? i know i haven't done any. Install and play. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Glad to know it runs on SN. Remember to save your work. It's not like CS is crash proof before. :p

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
As do I. Some say "progress for the sake of progress...", I say... yes. Progress because there IS something better. May as well have it.

Agreed. Apple's technology transitions are, as a rule, much more enjoyable and trouble free than MS'. I hope that's the case with SL. And as I have to sell PCs too, The transition to W7 had damn well better be smoother than the Vista fiasco I've had to endure the last 2 1/2 years. :mad:

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
If you were say a component supplier for HDTV's and Samsung says to you "Hey we are switching platforms but only 50/50 for now, so you need to support both" you would have to pay to retool your plant at your own expense to keep them as a customer.

Then a couple years later Samsung comes back and says "Yeah we are releasing another major revision so we are now scrapping the old platform, but we want you to keep supporting the older platform but we aren't going to pay you to do so" you once again have to stop everything and retool a second time in only three years at your expense.

Meanwhile your plant supporting Toshiba has had small changes but the core components have stayed the same for 9 years and hasn't required a retooling in almost a decade.

Now, which company would you rather do business with? I'm guessing not Apple.. sorry I mean Samsung. ;)

Perfect analogy.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Wow this blows. Way to forces us to update. I think adobe WILL have to do something about it. I'm not paying hundreds to update for features that i prob won't use.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
I can understand not hanging on to the past and eventually you have to drop support for older versions, but CS3 is only one version old!?! I am all for going the legit route, but if something breaks with SL/CS3, I will not be buying another $1700 suite of programs that only works for 2.5 years. I will be stealing (yes stealing lol) a copy of CS4. Sorry Adobe but your approach is just weak. Especially when CS3-CS4 didn't even add much. Flame away, but $1700 is a lot of money to pay for what becomes a really expensive coaster set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.