Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwloader

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
Premiere to render / export as fast as on my Mac Pro running Premiere in Win 7?

I installed Premiere on Windows 7 via Bootcamp on my Mac Pro. Renders and exports take approximately a third of the time than Premiere running on the same Mac Pro under OS X 10.6.2

I hope CPU / thread utilisation is refined for the CS5 release!

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Disgraceful!

How can Adobe justify slugging customers every year or so for such an expensive application? It's just money-grabbing.

CS is a cash cow and they need to cut its price significantly if they're going to keep up such a rapid upgrade cycle.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
This update couldnt come sooner... I'm desperate for After Effects 64bit with all the HD stuff that's going on.

Adobe needs less of these "major" updates and has to stop being so lazy with updating their broken apps. After effects is only at 9.0.2. Two minor updates for an application that crashes many times a day for no reason is disgusting and shows adobe's true colours which is "launch major updates that show new exciting features to gloss over and take attention away from all the broken behind the scenes stuff"

They need to fix what is broken then add more stuff....

Check your memory! :eek: Run an extensive hardware test -- not the quick one.

AfterEffects CS4 pro has yet to crash on me. Not on this unibody 17" and not on my previous Aluminum 17" 2006 model.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'll be happy if it's not the crash-prone piece of garbage that CS4 is. Flash and Photoshop continually die or lock up on my Macs, for seemingly no reason. (I teach in a lab of 16 Mac Pros running the suite, and not a day goes by when one of them doesn't have a problem with an Adobe product.)

CS was the best version Adobe produced, IMO. Hopefully they can get it right with CS5, but I'm not holding my breath. I do like the concept of being able to output Flash files as iPhone applications, though.

I also wish I had a choice of buying individual programs, rather than having to shell out for their packages of programs I'll never use.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Fingers crossed for a great CS5

I'm hoping that they really don't add a whole lot of new features, but just fix up the little mistakes in the Mac version:

All dropdown lists.. anywhere in a Creative Suite application, should be navigable with up and down arrows after they're clicked. Right now, some places do it, and some places don't. Doesn't do layer styles in Photoshop (have to use Shift+, Shift-), you can go up and down through live fonts in Photoshop. Not in Illustrator. It's the simplest solution and should be implemented everywhere.

Hope that dragging an image right onto the canvas doesn't still give me that QuicktimeXCompression error message garbage in Illustrator anymore.

Please make it really fast (like at least as fast as the current PC version), and more stable than it currently is.

If they can fix these things, I'll run out and buy the Design Premium one.

As a bonus, they should include Adobe Type Manager and make it as good as Extensis Suitcase.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
I hope we get some 64-bit goodness in all apps.

Personally I use After effects, photoshop, illustrator and bridge & hardly touch the rest.
As a final cut editor Premiere pro has never been enough to sway me away, the flexibility with custom sequences (codec, size, framerate) in final cut is just too good to give up(I love working with prores sequences and getting out of the DV/HDV codecs).
The only thing that entices me about Premiere pro right now is that you can nest after effects projects in without rendering them out first, but that's just not enough for me, they will have to do some good revamping to PP before I even think about it as my main editor. The good news for Adobe is it doesn't seem like Apple feels like giving them much competition in terms of advancements, the new FCS updates last year were pretty minimal (Can we please get a decent text generator in FCP already, and maybe the apps could make use of multiple core processors...).

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
The upgrade cycle frequency for Adobe's apps seems rather excessive. But who are we to deny Mr. Narayen a new boat?

Even if university budgets weren't tight, I can't imagine I'd recommend we upgrade to this.

Adobe Creative Suite 5 - Now 20% bloatier!! Remember, Mr. Narayen needs a new boat!!

Sucks...I upgraded from Photoshop CS to CS 4 last fall...thinking I wouldn't be able to upgrade to CS5.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
for all those having probs, maybe move to Snow Leopard.
running CS4 Master Collection on Octo Snow Leopard.
I work mostly in After Effects and in HD format daily.
no major crashes other than stupid layer replace option using schematic view.
I think Adobe knows who I am from the over 1000 crash reports Ive logged :)
fixed that by not using that option.
only thing I hate is RAM Preview.
16GBs of RAM and I cant even do more than 5 seconds of prev :p
Go 64 I say!!!

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
How can Adobe justify slugging customers every year or so for such an expensive application? It's just money-grabbing.

CS is a cash cow and they need to cut its price significantly if they're going to keep up such a rapid upgrade cycle.

Makes sense to miss versions. I'm still on CS3. It'll be interesting to see if the 2 version jump in Photoshop gives me anything I actually need.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
The only thing that entices me about Premiere pro right now is that you can nest after effects projects in without rendering them out first...
I think Automatic Duck does that for FCP to AE and back. I think :) Its been awhile since Ive used it but that was with Avid.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
So 64-bit support is expected?
What about hyperthreading and all that other technical jargon that i dont understand that the i7 is capable of? I was told that CS4 currently doesn't take advantage of the i7's capabilities (could be wrong, asking for more info)

interestedabit

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2006
It's a bit OTT. I'm in audio so have to keep up with Logic but Apple totally respect their customers and keep upgrades at the 99/199 max. 999? Come on.. It's a pro product though but let's hope they have something major to justify the price tag. Doubt it. Will still sell though, the package is very good and Adobe have the creative folk by the balls. In audio field these guys are like Waves, who make plugs (just finally adopted sensible upgrade pricing) who are changing for the better, but I feel some Adobe milking going on, just because... they can.

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
dang it I just bought after effects cs4 6 months ago. I don't know how this upgrade thing works because I bought my copy at penn state computer store. They said it was the full retail version just at an academic price. Does anyone know how to check if my license is student or full retail???

-On the plus+ looking forward to 64 bit support!!!:D

I have an edu version of cs2, I was told it should be exactly the same as pro except it was listed as academic, and that it "might" be missing some fonts, but otherwise it was the same.

mine is windows version though.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I wish Adobe would spend some time making Flash CS4 stop crashing.
New features are all fine and well, but all I want is a stable app.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
or...

And will there finally be layer comps in Illustrator?

Or transparency in gradient mesh, or be able to stroke a gradient mesh, or will paths finally be halfway useful in Photoshop? I mean there is a huge list of things that after a couple decades of development just don't make sense about Adobe products. But there are a lot of cool things too. I like the 3D support in PS myself.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
CS4 was a crap upgrade...sure hope this is better.
Whatever it is you'd better get ready to sell your first born.....a second on the house probably won't cover it ;)

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Just purchased CS4 this month :mad: j/k I'm not mad I new it was coming ... I guess I will get the upgrade.

No crashes so far, except for one time when I added Camera Raw. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.