Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I wish Adobe would spend some time making Flash CS4 stop crashing.
New features are all fine and well, but all I want is a stable app.

Flash will sometimes crash while I'm coding, generally when I'm using copy and paste in the IDE. But this doesn't happen often with CS4 and I can tell when it's about to happen. The spin-wheel will pop up right after I've hit copy andI start to paste. Now with CS3, it happened about once or twice near the end of a long day and more so if I was working on my 30", vs working straight from my notebook's screen.

Now if I've done something really stupid with my code, I can sometimes crash Flash while testing my project. But as long as I keep my mind on straight and my code clean, I can work from morning til night without having to worry about it quitting on me.

Sucks to be me. I dropped $999 on an upgrade to Master Collection CS4 last week. Ouch.

Call up Adobe. I think you have a month, because when I bought Photoshop 4, it was almost a month later that they released version 5, which after a phone call explaining that I had just bought it, they sent me an upgrade disc.

choco

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
You woulda had a HORRIBLE product... :rolleyes:

really? maybe it's because i mainly use illustrator, photoshop, and indesign, but i haven't run with any problems using cs4 on the macs on campus. using them at home on my dell however, is a totally different story.

hoping this release is around the time of the macbook pro. that will be perfection! :)

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
I've participated in a private beta of several CS5 applications, and I'm not too excited about the final versions. Adobe has lost its way. :(

i'm very excited about CS5, some of the new features are going to be very welcome. however, i'm curious about your experiences. care to elaborate?

Awesome! A new version of Flash to make Flash animations and videos that can't be seen on the iPad or iPhone :D
If you want to see them on an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch, flip the switch to gen an Apple Application. If you want videos, don't use Flash. YouTube and other services are already offering non-Flash options.

or not lock yourself into apple's walled garden and deliver your cross-platform applications across the vast majority of PCs and internet connected devices.

Is it just me or does anyone else not have a problem on there Mac with cs4? No crashes, No bloat Issues... I don't know I never noticed slow down and that was on my 07 MBP. Well come to think of it the only program I ever got intense with was photoshop.

it's not just you. i'm a heavy user of Flash, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat and i don't have problems... you know, other than being subject to some of Adobe's offensive UI choices. i love Adobe, but i really can not wait until they start taking their UI more seriously.

How can Adobe justify slugging customers every year or so for such an expensive application? It's just money-grabbing. CS is a cash cow and they need to cut its price significantly if they're going to keep up such a rapid upgrade cycle.

customers have a choice. however, this should be a big seller as most users have skipped every second version (CS2 and CS4) since the the start of the creative suite product.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
for all those having probs, maybe move to Snow Leopard.
running CS4 Master Collection on Octo Snow Leopard.

That's when all my problems with CS4 started. Snow Leopard. :-(

Cinema 4d has been rock solid the whole time, though. It took Wacom a while to catch up to that.

I installed Premiere on Windows 7 via Bootcamp on my Mac Pro. Renders and exports take approximately a third of the time than Premiere running on the same Mac Pro under OS X 10.6.2

I hope CPU / thread utilisation is refined for the CS5 release!

Premiere Pro is getting CPU+GPU acceleration. They have a demo on the site of the presenter working with multiple avchd streams in real time. Nice. Does the mac/Final Cut even read those yet? I must confess I've never had the need to work with the format, but seeing all those HD streams layered on top of each other in real time was pretty hot.

Hah! It's better than Autodesk's YEARLY updates.

The last update to Maya that added some external apps and not much else was pretty insulting for the price of that maintenance contract. They really phoned that one in. Still waiting on nFluids - I saw a developer video of it a while back that was pretty impressive. Nothing since.

Agreed. I think Flash is the bane of the internet. I'm glad Steve has taken a stand against it.

Yes, free video on the web does suck, doesn't it?

From newteevee.com

the vast majority of web video advertising is created with Flash in mind, and this is apparent with YouTube’s HTML5 testing ground. Videos that the company monetizes are not viewable through HTML5, for the basic reason that there aren’t any ads available to show. With the video ad market just now starting to take off, and the vast majority of those ads being created in Flash, it will be difficult for a video publisher to transition to another format without seriously hurting potential ad revenues.

When finally HTML5 supports pre- mid- and post-roll ads through some unholy union of the video tag, javascript, and CSS3, and advertising does the exact same crap it does now, only utilizing the canvas tag and javascript as it dances across your favrotie blogs and sites, where will you focus your hate for advertising?

I say blame Steve! Microtransactions are the future. And it will be all his fault!

But if he gives me decently priced mac pros, all is forgiven. ;)

virduk

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
How can Adobe justify slugging customers every year or so for such an expensive application? It's just money-grabbing.

CS is a cash cow and they need to cut its price significantly if they're going to keep up such a rapid upgrade cycle.

No-one is forcing you to upgrade every year. Certainly most folks I know only upgrade every 2-3 years.

I must I am curious about the Flash export to iPhone/iPod app. I wonder how well that will work.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Heres to hoping it doesnt suck stabiltiy wise...

hand-cross.jpg

I wonder what theyve added to DreamWeaver (I wish they made an HTML5 widget tool)

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Awesome! But then again, this means spending more money. I'll upgrade Flash first, then maybe AfterEffects. Photoshop and Illustrator are fine. I only upgrade them when I can no longer open up client's files reliably.

This makes the most sense to me too! If they want to update so often like this, their upgrade price needs to be much lower.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Makes sense to miss versions. I'm still on CS3. It'll be interesting to see if the 2 version jump in Photoshop gives me anything I actually need.

Agreed. I ran CS4 for the whole 30 days trial, and deleted it at the end. There were some nice things, but nothing compelling enough justify the upgrade cost.

I don't expect CS5 to bring enough to make me upgrade, either.

However... if Adobe didn't charge so much, I would upgrade. So, Adobe are shooting themselves in the foot. They could make a lot more money by charging less for upgrades.

deeiy

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2009
Business Catalyst in CS5

I think there is also going to be some kind of CS5 link in with Business Catalyst website CMS management system which Adobe purchased.

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
PS CS5 looks pretty interesting.

Anyone found anything on AE CS5 yet? I have to say I am curious as to why there is no release on info about it.

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
or not lock yourself into apple's walled garden and deliver your cross-platform applications across the vast majority of PCs and internet connected devices.

Ohh cry me a river with this Flash crap.

It's really not that hard to code up a website with ONE h264 movie file that delivers it via HTML5 on compatible browsers and through a Flash player for every other browser.

Get over it already!

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Oh yesss! Every second release of Adobe Creative Suite is good, so CS was great, CS3 was great, and now hopefully CS5 is going to be great!

I hope they finally fix all the bugs from Photoshop and Flash, and finally make Flash good performance-wise, like it is on Windows!

I also wish Photoshop had an in-context liquify tool, just like every other tool, instead of a separate window with limited capabilities... And I hope they put the Extract plugin back by default, or at least something that replaces it.

CS4 is a disaster, and CS5 just HAS to be way better. Also, on Macs, you can pinch and zoom with the trackpad in Photoshop CS4, but it's so damn buggy that it's totally useless. I wish they fixed that too...

I hope Adobe is going to show us that they have organised themselves and are more professional than ever.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Is it just me or does anyone else not have a problem on there Mac with cs4? No crashes, No bloat Issues... I don't know I never noticed slow down and that was on my 07 MBP. Well come to think of it the only program I ever got intense with was photoshop.
+1.. Photoshop CS4 has been bulletproof for me, and I use it near constantly. I only ever quit it if i'm going to load up a VM (running Win7) so need the memory freed up. I'm on an '08 iMac with 4GB ram..

People massively overstate the badness of Adobe apps. Maybe it's just Photoshop is markedly better than the others? Who knows. :/

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
I'm hoping that they really don't add a whole lot of new features, but just fix up the little mistakes in the Mac version:

Your hope is they charge you again for a non-broken version
of what they sold you before? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.