Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
P

paulc

A LOT of the professional photo-journalists I know universally have issues with printing in X; especially with Epson printers (mostly the 1280, a real workhorse for that market). To get them actually running X, I "taught" them you CAN have 2 copies of Photoshop, one for editing in X and one set to "open in Classic." They use THAT one to print, the X one to edit. 8 being X only means this "trick" will no longer work with 2 copies of 8. Yes, I supposed one can mix 7 and 8, but I'd bet dollars to donuts they mostly will not upgrade.

Add in 170 bucks for the upgrade, and I just don't see at least one big part of the professional market going for the upgrade (or going for it with pirated versions). For me, if they DID have any and all adjustments to an image being able to put on adjustment layers, it might have been worth it. Not sure if this is what is being called "Filter Layers," logic tells me that's it. So absent that, what's compelling about 8?

kujo770

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Originally posted by robotrenegade
HAHA, better question why did they make it. CS looks pimp ass all ****. I can't wait to try these out on my new G5.

Apple updated their main page to highlight this Adobe announcement. It specifically says "Optimized for the G5."

pwfletcher

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
Version numbers from Apple's website:

Creative Suite Premium Includes:

Contains Adobe Photoshop CS (8), Illustrator CS (11), Acrobat Professional CS (6) InDesign CS (3) and GoLive CS (7).

reiggin

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2003
Concord, NC
Originally posted by paulc
A LOT of the professional photo-journalists I know universally have issues with printing in X; especially with Epson printers (mostly the 1280, a real workhorse for that market). To get them actually running X, I "taught" them you CAN have 2 copies of Photoshop, one for editing in X and one set to "open in Classic."

There are other ways to get an Epson 1280 to print in OS X. Search around the web. Hacks for official Epson drivers like the 800 series make it possible to use the 1280 natively, IIRC. I have a friend who has done it and now he loves his 1280 along with PS 7 and OS X. It can be done but it takes some work with Hex editting. I know there are some walkthroughs available online. Just google around till you find them. No need to panic here, folks.

Let's not forget, too, that this is Epson's fault, not Adobe or Apple. Epson, as per usual with them, insists on offering minimal support for their discontinued models. They make quality hardware but their drivers and continued lack of software support will drive a person mad.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by nacl99
One of the big reasons Macromedia Progs look so bad is a while back Adobe sued them about using Palettes, so that had a chilling effect on making the interface like Adobe.

Don't know if thats good or bad, I wish Adobe would just buy them so we wouldn't have to use two different companies.

When Adobe and Aldus merged, Freehand and Photostyler had to be let go because they would allow the new company to monopolise the market. I doubt that the FTC or the EU would allow Adobe and Macromedia to exist as one.

Nice to see that they've updated things once again. Hope everything is quick and usable.

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Re: weak updates

Originally posted by dongmin
I don't know about photoshop, but the illustrator upgrade is really weak. Some of the type features are nice, but that's about it from what I can tell. The 3d feature is ridiculous. With the proliferation of 3d programs, what pro would seriously use it for their work? The InDesign upgrade is only a little better. They're asking a lot of money for a few decent features. I'm curious to see if their claims for speed enhancements. Anyone try a pre-release version of these programs?
I agree, where's the beef ?
I seemed like Adobe rushed an upgrade of Illustrator just so it would be ready for the suite. :( PS is their baby ( and moneymaker ) so they probably focus on that and just hope people won't see the other products are lacking.

The new boxes are not bad, you just have to get used to their new look, but I will miss the Illustrator box too.

Now that Livemotion is nowhere to be seen, Adobe and Macromedia seem to be living together without any catfights, I wonder if either have new products coming in the future what will give each other some new competition ?

An early close look:
http://www.corporatemedianews.com/cgi-bin/getframeletter.cgi?/2003/09_sep/features/adobecs030929.htm
Again, all OS X screenshots. :)

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Aeolius
Without LiveMotion, GoLive just doesn't seem worth upgrading.

Sure they added tighter integration with Photoshop and Illustrator; neither of which I use, at this time. I switched over to PhotoPAINT and CorelDRAW awhile back. Granted, unless Corel gets its act together and either sells Bryce or reinstates Mac development, I may switch over to Freehand.

When creating a webpage, GoLive needs to have the ease one finds with .Mac and the speed one associates with a blogging application.

Oh well. Guess I'll wait for a few GoLive reviews to come out and for Adobe to officially announce their plans for LiveMotion, before I consider upgrading.
I've been using GoLive since version 4 and though I like it, I've had major problems with it. I too will wait for reviews, but I'm feeling more and more sucked in by Dreamweaver. I used Dreamweaver 3 some years ago and thought it was so simple to use. Never had that feeling with GoLive. GoLive is very slow on my mac.

Love PhotoShop.

Don't Love Illustrator... Too awkward to use.

LiveMotion was great. :(
Seems as though they integrated some livemotion features into ImageReady.

greenstork

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2003
Seattle,WA
Originally posted by Photorun
hey OS 9 users, you were holding up the OS X versions from being better in OS X, deal with it, you're working on a legacy OS!

I happen to work for a non-profit that can't afford a new computer to run OS X. My iMac 333MHz simply doesn't cut it. While I realize that I am in the minority as it pertains to design, I think your comment is rather callous and slightly ingnorant. So, sorry we're poor and holding up your software development but I think you need to get a grip on real world users.

jasonbw

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by airmac
man, they eliminate Pagemaker..:mad:

now that's a bummer if you ask me...yeah i'm also using indesign but nothing can compete with the speed of Pagemaker.

Well, adobe killed pagemaker a year or two ago when they said that v7 was going to be the last. I do agree completely with that sentiment, as much as i love indesign, pagemaker is way faster, even through classic.

Of course, there was that rumor a few months ago about a photoshop elements-type version of indesign, possibly with the pagemaker title somehow used in the name. that'd be a great program, it'd prevent people from having to buy publisher (and sending me the damn files).

Has anyone tried Indesign 3 yet? is it noticably faster?

nacl99

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
AZ
Re: PRODUCT ACTIVATION

Originally posted by segastyle
so this means that pirating should be cut down a lot... so they can lower their prices down to reasonable amounts, right?

i mean, wasn't pirating of software one of the original reasons they made their prices so high to begin with?

:p

I'm wonder how exactly the process works.
And don't worry there will be a crack in no time, I've seen every single product activation kind of thing cracked on the PC, don't know how this will crack down on pirating at all, just annoying.

nacl99

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
AZ
Originally posted by greenstork
I happen to work for a non-profit that can't afford a new computer to run OS X. My iMac 333MHz simply doesn't cut it. While I realize that I am in the minority as it pertains to design, I think your comment is rather callous and slightly ingnorant. So, sorry we're poor and holding up your software development but I think you need to get a grip on real world users.

Not to be rude, but if you can't afford a new Mac, how could you afford all the adobe upgrades overtime?

The OS9 argument makes no sense, you want the newest cutting edge adobe software. BUT you want it to work on your old ass legacy OS9.

Following that line of thinking, I'm frankly pissed off that the new photoshop doesn't support MS-DOS!

Insatiable

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
And yet, another version of Illustrator without multiple-page document capability. Anybody want to tell Adobe that we have officially entered a new millennium?

andrewh

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2002
San Francisco
Originally posted by Insatiable
And yet, another version of Illustrator without multiple-page document capability. Anybody want to tell Adobe that we have officially entered a new millennium?

They have a program for that, it's called "InDesign"....

I agree it would be nice but it's really an illustration program. Designed for creating artwork, single page layouts, etc. Just as Photoshop is for image editing and doesn't have multiple page layouts. They have a specific tool for the job. And while it might be frustrating they can't throw in the kitchen sink into every program. Plus they wouldn't sell as much software either!

Your Illustrator artwork will import seamlessly into InDesign. It does already. I have to do this to make multipage PDF's.

plastree

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Los Angeles
With these products being osX exclusive, I wonder if Adobe has replaced some of the carbon code with cocoa. Illustrator 10 is so unbelievably sloowww I can't believe it was ever released. Photoshop 7's performance is acceptable, although it sucks at opening files. I've never used InDesign, but I hear it's embarrassingly pokey as well. If these new versions exhibit significant speed boosts, they'll be worth the upgrade price for that alone.

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Originally posted by plastree
With these products being osX exclusive, I wonder if Adobe has replaced some of the carbon code with cocoa. Illustrator 10 is so unbelievably sloowww I can't believe it was ever released. Photoshop 7's performance is acceptable, although it sucks at opening files. I've never used InDesign, but I hear it's embarrassingly pokey as well. If these new versions exhibit significant speed boosts, they'll be worth the upgrade price for that alone.

I want more than just speed boosts and bug fixes.
I feel like like Adobe and MM is relasing upgrades all the time now, maybe they have had this release schedule all the time ? ( I have only noticed this recently. )
Illustrator 10 was a disappointment as you say, it was slow and many pro users were still using v.8 for their bread and butter work, since it was fast.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Re: flash video

Originally posted by cljmac
well it was nice to see there 1.41 minute flash demo was using os10 and not windows....

Quite nice, especially since Adobe said in the Spring that they preferred Windows based PCs to Macs.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Re: Adobe Creative Suite Announced

Originally posted by Macrumors
Today, Adobe has announced the Adobe Creative Suite.

The new Creative Suite comes in two versions - the Premium Edition and Standard edition.

Standard Edition ($999) includes Photoshop CS, Illustrator CS, InDesign CS and Version Cue, while the Premium Edition ($1229) also includes GoLive CS and Acrobat 6.0 Professional.

The new CS versions of Adobe's tools are also available f
or
seperate individual purchase and upgrade.

The new packaging is great-and CS is awonderful way to version numbering.

Insatiable

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
Originally posted by andrewh

I agree it would be nice but it's really an illustration program. Designed for creating artwork, single page layouts, etc. Just as Photoshop is for image editing and doesn't have multiple page layouts. They have a specific tool for the job. And while it might be frustrating they can't throw in the kitchen sink into every program.

Illustrator is a flexible and powerful program which is missing a very basic--and easy to implement--feature. I didn't ask for the kitchen sink in every Adobe program; I asked for multiple-page documents in Illustrator now that we're hitting, y'know, verison 11! And since when do MPD's constitute "the kitchen sink?" If that's the case, what does the new 3-D modeling feature constitute?

Plus they wouldn't sell as much software either!

Isn't the point of the whole "CS" strategy to avoid this scenario? And if Adobe thinks that MPD's in Illustrator will hurt InDesign sales that much then they should just go ahead and concede the page-layout battle to Quark. I though InDesign had more going for it than that.

Your Illustrator artwork will import seamlessly into InDesign. It does already. I have to do this to make multipage PDF's.

And if Illustrator had MPD's, you wouldn't have to do this, now would you? Case closed.

andrewh

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2002
San Francisco
Dude don't be so sensitive just because the program doesn't do exactly what you want it to and someone disagrees with you. I guess you missed the concept of "Suite" in "Creative Suite". Each application complements each other and is designed to be the right tool for the job. InDesign has much more sophisted pre-press functionality for sending jobs to the printer which is why it is a full featured page layout program. Just take a second and think about it from Adobe's point of view. The selling software comment of mine was completely tongue in cheek. Lighten up.

Originally posted by Insatiable
Originally posted by andrewh

I agree it would be nice but it's really an illustration program. Designed for creating artwork, single page layouts, etc. Just as Photoshop is for image editing and doesn't have multiple page layouts. They have a specific tool for the job. And while it might be frustrating they can't throw in the kitchen sink into every program.

Illustrator is a flexible and powerful program which is missing a very basic--and easy to implement--feature. I didn't ask for the kitchen sink in every Adobe program; I asked for multiple-page documents in Illustrator now that we're hitting, y'know, verison 11! And since when do MPD's constitute "the kitchen sink?" If that's the case, what does the new 3-D modeling feature constitute?

Plus they wouldn't sell as much software either!

Isn't the point of the whole "CS" strategy to avoid this scenario? And if Adobe thinks that MPD's in Illustrator will hurt InDesign sales that much then they should just go ahead and concede the page-layout battle to Quark. I though InDesign had more going for it than that.

And if Illustrator had MPD's, you wouldn't have to do this, now would you? Case closed.

airmac

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2003
Originally posted by nacl99
Not to be rude, but if you can't afford a new Mac, how could you afford all the adobe upgrades overtime?

The OS9 argument makes no sense, you want the newest cutting edge adobe software. BUT you want it to work on your old ass legacy OS9.

Following that line of thinking, I'm frankly pissed off that the new photoshop doesn't support MS-DOS!

Not to be rude also, but there are rip softwares that are NOT working above os 8 and they charged over 12000 dollars for it and if your ass have to be fullfiled with the greatest and latest that's your personal issue...i voted negative because Adobe couldn't cut it with Pagemaker...btw we all have our personal reasons why we need specific softwares don't we?!

OS 9 is not dead.....:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.