MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by Macworld, Adobe has finally dipped its toe into the Mac App Store for the first time, releasing a slightly scaled-down version of its consumer Photoshop Elements software, Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 Editor [Mac App Store]. Priced at $79.99, Photoshop Elements 9 Editor drops the Adobe Elements Organizer functionality found in the retail version of the software, but is also discounted by $20 off the retail list price.
The omission of the Elements Organizer, a tool for managing images, will not affect users who depend on iPhoto to manage their image library, and is in fact designed to be used alongside iPhoto for more advanced editing features than iPhoto offers.

The Mac App Store version of Elements 9 includes the same editing tools that made the full version popular, including content aware-fill, Group Shot, Panorama, and Style Match Photomerge tools. The novice-friendly application offers guided edit modes that walk users though adding effects and cleaning up photos.
Apple has of course been pushing its Mac App Store as the future of software delivery for the Mac platform, going so far as to distribute its new OS X Lion exclusively through the store beginning tomorrow. While a number of other developers have embraced the Mac App Store for its ease of software distribution and consumer convenience, observers have been waiting for some of the software heavyweights like Adobe and Microsoft to make their presences felt in the marketplace.

Microsoft has also dabbled in the Mac App Store with its free Windows Phone 7 Connector, and while it may be quite some time before the software giants release their flagship Creative Suite and Office software through the Mac App Store, if they ever choose to do so, it is encouraging to see them making their first efforts at distributing content through Apple's preferred software marketplace.

Article Link: Adobe Enters the Mac App Store With 'Photoshop Elements 9 Editor'

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
I can't imagine ms or adobe releasing their full suites. Thatd require forking over huge commissions to apple that would eat profit margins. 30% is too high for ms. They don't need that distribution channel. Just like FireWire and thunderbolt the Mac app store will remain very niche.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
I think it would heavily depend on how much margin they currently spend on marketing and the media (I know this part is not large). It is possible that for the commission to Apple is on par with the equivalent marketing, etc. Also, they might be willing to trade some commission for higher volume of sales.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Anyone have any experience with Elements and how it compares to Aperture 3???

Apple's and oranges mostly. The way I see it Aperture kinda falls in the gap between elements and lightroom though it more closely competes with lightroom.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I think Adobe is making a rather clever move here. Elements is the perfect app to test the waters of the Mac App Store. Out of all their apps, it has the widest appeal, and yet isn't their core money-maker. I can see it being fairly popular on the Mac App Store for casual everyday users who want to take things to the next level.

Elements is also a great introductory application to their flagship software such as Photoshop. I know a lot of kids and teenagers who started out on Elements on their path to becoming a designer. Even though Adobe leads the professional segment right now, getting young designers hooked on your products helps ensure a future user for your more expensive professional lines. Just like iPod Touches help ensure future iPhone users, and even Mac users to a certain extent. Marketing has many components!

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Anyone have any experience with Elements and how it compares to Aperture 3???

"Elements can be set as the "default editor" inside either Aperture or iPhoto. If you do that then integration is seamless. Double click a photo in aperture/iPhoto and it comes up ready to edit in Elements. Quite Elements and you are back in Aperture/iPhoto. Elements has all the features a photographer needs, it leaves out stuff a graphic artist might want

If you want "Elements, buy a Wacom tablet. Elements is bundled inside for "free" and the table is not much more than the price of Elements and you NEED a pen tablet to edit photos

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
Discounted? Amazon has Photoshop Elements 9 for Mac "discounted" as well, including the organizer and [gasp!] physical discs. I'd probably buy it from the app store if it was truly "discounted", but at this price only the ignorant or foolish would buy from the app store.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
Hmm what an interesting move. Maybe it's just an experiment for now, in order to see how their software does on the Mac App Store.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Elements is too limited for many people. Adobe would make bucketloads of money if they would make an $80 photoshop lite instead of an $80 overly simplified grandma-aimed app. Just remove all the features that the pros really absolutely have to have, like color calibration systems, and sell this lite version for 80 to 100 dollars. That way adobe would convert all us pirates into paying customers without losing the massive amount of dough that they get from the actual imaging pros out there who are willing to pay $1000+ for the pro version of photoshop. Adobe would probably make boatloads of extra profit if they did this.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
This is way overpriced. The full elements can often be had for $50 after rebate. Sometimes even less.

They should offer this for $29.99.

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
Discounted? Amazon has Photoshop Elements 9 for Mac "discounted" as well, including the organizer and [gasp!] physical discs. I'd probably buy it from the app store if it was truly "discounted", but at this price only the ignorant or foolish would buy from the app store.

What is the benefit of a physical disc? I would rather have less packaging and have things delivered digitally. I have backs up of all applications so no loss there.

In terms of pricing, if I can buy this from the Mac App store in Oz that is something I can not do with software purchases from Amazon. I think you should reconsider your direction of taunt of "ignorant and foolish".

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

But buying from the app store helps Apple to make more profit and that is all that really matters. If you needed physical disks, Steve would provide them.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I love Apple, but the iTunes App Store is going to be a part of an anti-trust lawsuit soon. Mark my words. As their marketshare grows, they simply have too much power deciding on what people have on their phones. It will be Microsoft Windows 95/98 all over again.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I love Apple, but the iTunes App Store is going to be a part of an anti-trust lawsuit soon. Mark my words. As their marketshare grows, they simply have too much power deciding on what people have on their phones. It will be Microsoft Windows 95/98 all over again.

The ultimate will be when Apple has 100% market share of everything on earth. Then we can all sit back and basque in the glory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.