Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

012916-adobe.jpg

Adobe has introduced Creative Suite 5.5 with substantial upgrades to InDesign, Dreamweaver, Flash Professional, Premiere Pro, and After Effects. Also included is a new SDK for Photoshop CS5. This release is new strategy for Adobe which targets mid-cycle releases every 12 months and major releases every 24 months.
Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE) today announced the new Adobe® Creative Suite® 5.5 product line (see separate releases), enabling designers and developers to target popular and emerging smartphone and tablet platforms, as the revolution in mobile communications fundamentally changes the way content is distributed and consumed. Substantive advances to HTML5, Flash authoring, digital publishing and video tools as well as new capabilities that kick-start the integration of tablets into creative workflows, anchor the new Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 product family.
Alongside Creative Suite 5.5, Adobe has also introduced a subscription model for companies who wish to stay up to date with Creative Suite releases. For example, Adobe Photoshop can be used for $35/month, Adobe Design Premium CS5.5 for US$95 per month, Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Master Collection for US$129 per month. MobileBeat explains further:
For one thing, as an alternative to the traditionally-priced version of Creative Suite, Adobe customers can now purchase CS5.5 through a subscription model. Those subscriptions aren’t exactly cheap (Photoshop costs $35 per month, while the full suite costs $129 per month), and this isn’t a full-on embrace of the online software model either. Subscription customers still buy the software in a box — they just pay for the license one month at a time.
Dave Burkett, vice president and general manager of Adobe Creative Suite, explains that many freelancers coming on and off a project would enjoy the flexibility a month to month plan offers. Macworld details the different pricing options which include discounts for year-long commitments.

Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 will begin shipping in the next 30 days. A full listing of new features are detailed on Adobe's website.

Article Link: Adobe Introduces Creative Suite 5.5, Subscription Editions

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Haha, so can we now bill our client the monthly price if they need vector work done in Illustrator, just like we would bill them for the fonts or anything else?

I started using Photoshop at version 5.5 when I was about 12. So I was kind of confused when I just saw this pop up in my Twitter feed. I had a flashback! Crazy how we have come this far. This new model sounds interesting, but will it beat the people who pirate software? Unlikely.

Now time to dive-in and see what these changes are...

Did anyone see this coming?? Feels almost like a late April Fool's joke.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Haha, so can we now bill our client the monthly price if they need work done in Illustrator, just like we would bill them for the fonts or anything else?

I started using Photoshop at version 5.5 when I was about 12. So I was kind of confused when I just saw this pop up in my Twitter feed. I had a flashback! Crazy how we have come this far. This new model sounds interesting, but will it beat the people who pirate software? Unlikely.

Now time to dive-in and see what these changes are...

Did anyone see this coming?? Feels almost like a late April Fool's joke.

They've had a subscription version in their EDU lineup for a while now - that's not the surprise.

Starship77

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
I don't get it...

So, the way it is now, you buy Photoshop for around $650 and after 18 months you can upgrade for $190. Total: $840 for 36 months, plus you still have your software to use for as long as you want if you choose not to upgrade anymore...

So, $35 x 36 months = $1260 and after the 36 months finnish, you have nothing... :confused:

I don't see a big advantage here, unless you only use photoshop in a few projects a year... I don't know anyone who does that, tho...

LoadStar

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
So, the way it is now, you buy Photoshop for around $650 and after 18 months you can upgrade for $190. Total: $840 for 36 months, plus you still have your software to use for as long as you want if you choose not to upgrade anymore...

So, $35 x 36 months = $1260 and after the 36 months finnish, you have nothing... :confused:

I don't see a big advantage here, unless you only use photoshop in a few projects a year... I don't know anyone who does that, tho...

Biggest advantage I can see would be adding and removing seats on a month-by-month basis based on business needs. For example, imagine your business suddenly picks up for a couple of months, and need an extra license for a contractor or other temporary worker you bring on.

You're right, though, in that if you miscalculate, you may end up paying more for a temporary license than you would for a permanent one.

zwilliams07

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2004
Detroit, MI
In other news, Adobe Systems Incorporated feels that an income of $775M is just not adequate enough for their regular money pit parties. While I cannot/do not condone piracy; Adobe definitely knows how to alleviate a pirate’s guilt on the issue.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
I upgraded to CS5 Master collection like less than a year ago for $1200...WTF? Now they want me to pay $500 for another upgrade??? WHAT TO THE F!!!???

Last edited:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Yup. Adobe like to take money from you.

No kidding.

I will make a bold prediction - within 5 years the "major" upgrade cycle will be at 12 months, with the "mid-cycle" cycle at 6 months. The number of new features found in those major cycles will approximate the number we're seeing in the current mid-cycle updates.

But prices will not go down.

I also won't be surprised if, at that point, Adobe will only offer subscription (month to month) pricing - you won't be able to purchase the software outright (or buy what amounts to a perpetual license, if you want to be pedantic).

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Freakin Adobe! .5 update should be free and subscriptions suck.

Last edited:

MacMyDay

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2003
Cambridge, England
If you run a business, like I do, then you would actually appreciate what they've done. To hire a new designer involves having enough work in the first place, which costs money. You then need to pay recruitment fees (anything from £500 - £5k depending who you use), buy them a new Mac (around £1500+ for a decent iMac), load it with software (around £2k) and then hope the candidate is as good as they interviewed. You're taking all of the risk and hoping that the work continues regularly enough to cover their salary and all of the expenses you just paid out on, when in SMEs it can vanish as quickly as it arrived. So after spending maybe as much as £8k before the member of staff has even started and you've bought their software, to be able to pay £85/m for the software instead of £1700 in one hit is a much needed relief.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
As long as CS5 works with Lion I'll be happy. Updating Adobe and Maya get expensive for someone like me who is a hobbyist game developer. That is roughly $3400k anytime I have to update my workflow. Thank goodness ZBrush updates are free :D

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC

The big advantage here isn't for you. ;)

downpour

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
We just purchased CS5 last week, at the massively over-inflated UK price.

Now they want us to pay them some more for a service pack.

Thanks a lot Adobe.

Edit:
OK I take it back... well partially... the UK prices are still a disgrace.

From Adobe's site:
"You might be eligible for a complimentary upgrade if you recently bought your software product (full or upgrade)."
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/153/tn_15304.html

Last edited:

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
We just purchased CS5 last week, at the massively over-inflated UK price.

Now they want us to pay them some more for a service pack.

Thanks a lot Adobe.

Edit:
OK I take it back... well partially... the UK prices are still a disgrace.

From Adobe's site:
"You might be eligible for a complimentary upgrade if you recently bought your software product (full or upgrade)."
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/153/tn_15304.html

If you just bought last week, the upgrade is free. Just contact Adobe and explain your situation. I had to do this when I bought version 4 of PS, then not even a month later, version 5 was released.

++++
Never mind, just re-read your post. :)

Foxypaco

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2010
Haha, people still actually buy software from Adobe. The Internet is your friend people.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Ah crap!

It took months to get our IT dept to order CS5 in (turned up last week...asked them to order it in November) and now I'm gonna have to get them to investigate arranging a free updgrade!?

Here we go again! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.