Adobe Issues 'Emergency' Flash Player Security Update for OS X to Address Ransomware Attacks

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 8, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Adobe has issued Flash Player security updates for OS X, Windows, Linux, and Chrome OS to address "critical vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system" by way of ransomware.

Ransomware is a type of malware that encrypts a user's hard drive and demands payment in order to decrypt it. These type of threats often display images or use voice-over techniques containing instructions on how to pay the ransom.

In this particular "CERBER" attack (via Reuters), affecting Flash-based advertisements, attackers have reportedly demanded between around $500 and $1,000, to retrieve the encrypted files. Adobe says it is aware of Windows 10 being "actively exploited" by this attack, but it is unclear if any Macs have actually been victimized. Just last month, popular BitTorrent client Transmission was temporarily infected with the first ransomware found on the Mac platform.

[​IMG]
    Adobe recommends that Flash Player users on Mac update to version 21.0.0.213 through the update mechanism within the software when prompted, or by visiting the Adobe Flash Player Download Center. Adobe Flash Player installations within Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer for Windows 8.1 or later should be automatically updated with the latest version of each browser. This is the second critical Flash Player security update for OS X and other platforms in the span of one month.

Article Link: Adobe Issues 'Emergency' Flash Player Security Update for OS X to Address Ransomware Attacks

2. xkam1x macrumors member

Adobe is full of issues, I stopped using it over a year ago and most of websites function very well in HTML5. Adobe needs to release a tool that can transfer Flash Player backend to HTML5, that is only solution if they want to leave flash behind.

3. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

4. Zedcars macrumors 6502

Zedcars

The best Flash update for Adobe to issue would be for it to deliberately and permanently delete it.

5. zzLZHzz macrumors 6502

the amount of hole that flash open up is amazing.

6. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

It's time to uninstall flash for all OSX users. Look how long you've survived without it on your iPhone. Now it's time for the desktop and pressure websites to drop it.

7. MH01 Suspended

MH01

8. Junior117 macrumors 6502

I wish I could just get rid of Flash...

... but Funimation and Crunchyroll STILL uses the dang plugin. I guess I'm stuck with this necessary evil for now. -_-

9. SgtPepper12 macrumors 6502a

SgtPepper12

I didn't even bother to install Flash when I got my new macbook a year ago. Never ran into any issues.

10. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Unfortunately, Twitch streams are still Flash based. And you can tell by the fact that your computer will sound like a flipping jet engine when watching a live stream or a VOD.

So yes, Flash is still necessary. They'll phase it out though. Hopefully sooner than later.

11. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Adobe. Please provide a link to download the uninstaller for the novice user.

12. sashimimi macrumors member

sashimimi

Please correct this way : "uninstalling is highly recommended"

13. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

"Adobe Issues 'Emergency' Crash Player Security Update"

Fixed ;)

14. lifeisepic macrumors 6502

lifeisepic

15. Yamcha macrumors 68000

As a creative professional I love Adobe products, but yeah I'm not a person that uses Adobe Flash anymore. I did however, have to install it recently to access certain sites for testing my internet performance. Saw this post and decided to uninstall it for security reasons.

As for Adobe as a company I had the chance to use the newly announced Adobe XD and I was super impressed. Adobe still knows how to create great software. I'm still gutted that they completely dropped Fireworks though. As nice as Photoshop is it was never intended for Web Design, and you can tell just by looking at the interface and tools.

16. zone23 macrumors 68000

Thanks I don't have Flash on my Macbook Air but the wife needs it on the iMac to play Facebook games or I would dump it off that machine as well. Anytime I go to a page that requires Flash I just surf something else. Updating iMac now.

17. iRikal macrumors newbie

iRikal

When i rebuilt my mac last time.. i omitted Flash on purpose.. just to see if I would miss it.

I was surprised at how many places still use the outdated plugin but it didn't compel me to install it... I just moved on and got information on other sites that were more.....2016.

I'll never install Flash again.

18. Junior117 macrumors 6502

I personally think that Adobe sort of "shoehorned" web design stuff into Photoshop since (I presume) many people were using it for that purpose and started demanding that they had web design-focused stuff on the software, so I don't necessarily disagree with you there.

As for me, I prefer Illustrator for that stuff and then I go to Photoshop for final touches.

And as for Adobe XD, I agree; it's really does look great! I'm still trying to figure out how to fit it into my workflow, but I'm enjoying it so far.

19. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Boycott the websites. Tell the creators that you're boycotting their websites until they stop using Flash. Encourage other users to join you. Create a competing website which is Flash free if the creators of those websites won't comply with removing Flash.

20. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

I use Chrome to run any flash sites because it's built in. All other browsers do not have flash access. Also removed Adobe Air.

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Unfortunately, sometimes I am forced to if I want to use a site. Question is why do legit web sites and devs continue to use it? Same goes w/ Java and javascript.

22. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I remember reading that Jobs was 100% against Flash and thinking "what a weirdo". I used Flash at work extensively back then. Well. Once again Steve knew more than I did. What were the odds???

23. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Why is this article only visible to mobile devices. My desktop is not showing this?

24. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

Websites do not work without JavaScript.