Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Is there anyone out there besides corporations and advertisers that want to take over your entire screen with ads who still thinks Flash is a good thing?

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Just kill Flash. Force the sites still using it to break for every user so they get fixed to not use that pile of burning garbage. Flag it as malware because that's what it is at this point.

Reactions: jw2002

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
I truly don't understand how a large multi-billion dollar publicly traded company has a hard time getting a smooth and slim software (PDF reader, Flash, Adobe Air.....) when indie developers on a ramen noodle budget do a good job at it? True question...

Reactions: nvmls

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Sorry to see this is how flash life ends...

on the other side happy to see how powerful HTML5 is. The other day I could play a Zelda game loaded on my Safari browser on iPhone. It was most impressive

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
How many years must Flash exist
Before there's no Adobe?
How many times must our browsers crash
Before we have security?
How many updates must Flash request
Before its last CVE?

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind

Reactions: MagMan1979

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
It's time to uninstall flash for all OSX users. Look how long you've survived without it on your iPhone. Now it's time for the desktop and pressure websites to drop it.
I still have to use it for many sites even on my iPhone using third party flash streamers.
The Internet is still flash in 2016. We have moved a lot forward but flash is still king. Unfortunately

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Does anybody still use this disaster?

Yeah, most IT sysadmins use it for a multitude of software/hardware we buy. Cisco/VMware (number one networking and virtualization providers, respectively) still sell to this day hardware/software that require flash/java. There's just no getting away from it until they do.

Reactions: BlandUsername

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
Unfortunately, Twitch streams are still Flash based. And you can tell by the fact that your computer will sound like a flipping jet engine when watching a live stream or a VOD.

So yes, Flash is still necessary. They'll phase it out though. Hopefully sooner than later.

Actually, if you use Safari you won't need Flash to watch streams/VODs anymore, I belive it uses HLS instead(Quicktime stream). I got my rMBP back in december and I thought to myself 'I'm not gonna install Flash. I guess I'll have to use Chrome for Twitch until they get the HTML5 player ready in Q2...'. But I was proven wrong when I went to the front page to sign up and noticed that streams played even though I didn't have Flash! :D

Only thing is that the resolution'll be on auto and not chanageable, and stream stats data won't function. But I can defantily live with that;)

carrrrrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
PNW
I actually forgot about Flash. It was very cool in its day, but much has progressed since 2000.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Given technology of 2016, there really is no need for developers to continue using Flash. Those that did develop in Flash have had plenty of time convert to something else. So why is it that so many continue to use it? Laziness? Whatever, I don't support Flash and it has not been on my computers (and obviously never on my iPads or iPhones or ATVs) since 2012. In the beginning it was more difficult, but these days, I mostly forget that Flash even existed.
[doublepost=1460127453][/doublepost]
I do. But not because I want to. beIN Sports and Cycling.TV use Flash for their live streaming so I have it, begrudgingly, installed but only use it via Firefox.
They have an app for ATV and iOS that obviously does not require Flash. Maybe something to look into.
[doublepost=1460127811][/doublepost]
Yeah, most IT sysadmins use it for a multitude of software/hardware we buy. Cisco/VMware (number one networking and virtualization providers, respectively) still sell to this day hardware/software that require flash/java. There's just no getting away from it until they do.
What does that say that Cisco/VMware still uses Flash. To it says they just don't care. Hopefully another company will come along and eat them for breakfast. Although to be fair, the Flas is only for the admin tools so as I understand it, it only affect a small group of people with the MOST ACCESS CREATING THE BIGGEST VULNERABILITY.

Reactions: Garsun

Rafagon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Updating the Flash Player is a pain in the ass.

I had to go to get.adobe.com, download the .dmg, mount the .dmg, click on “Adobe Flash Player Install Manager” on the mounted .dmg, eject the .dmg, then delete the .dmg.

Are they ever going to make this process simpler?

Sometimes the Adobe Flash update screen pops up automatically; if this was an emergency update, I don’t get why this wasn’t one of those times.

Even more crappy: When you go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ *after* updating, it still has the “Install Now” button, like if you had never updated. Why doesn’t it detect your version and change this button to “Your version of Flash Player is up to date!” ?? Total nonsense!

Last edited:
Reactions: akidd and nvmls

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
Unfortunately, Twitch streams are still Flash based. And you can tell by the fact that your computer will sound like a flipping jet engine when watching a live stream or a VOD.

So yes, Flash is still necessary. They'll phase it out though. Hopefully sooner than later.

I can assure you, the day that no one uses Flash anymore good old Twitch will stop using Flash too. But as long as this garbage is kept alive by plenty of users we are forced to install updates on a "daily" basis. It's 2016, there are much better and more secure alternatives to Flash.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
No matter how screwed up FLASH is we still have to keep using this POS. Big companies still uses this POS with no end in sight.

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
This is why I haven't had Flash on my MacBook Pro in ages...

I said goodbye to bad rubbish (Flash obvs) ages ago, and haven't had any issues at all!

Enable the developer menu in Safari, and then if there is something that insists on playing in Flash, just change Safari to pretend to be an iPad and see how quickly everything pops un in HTML6!

(This the a great way to trick BBC iPlayer haha)

hkenneth

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Unfortunately, sometimes I am forced to if I want to use a site. Question is why do legit web sites and devs continue to use it? Same goes w/ Java and javascript.

Java and JavaScript are two totally different animals.
[doublepost=1460129347][/doublepost]Now let's talk about why we still need QuickTime to watch Apple broadcast again?

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Does anybody still use this disaster?

Unfortunately it may be required for some applications. My employer chose to go with Adobe Connect for our screen sharing/collaboration system and no surprise, it requires flash. :(

Garsun

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
Updating the Flash Player is a pain in the ass.

I had to go to get.adobe.com, download the .dmg, mount the .dmg, click on “Adobe Flash Player Install Manager” on the mounted .dmg, eject the .dmg, then delete the .dmg.

Are they ever going to make this process simpler?

Sometimes the Adobe Flash update screen pops up automatically; if this was an emergency update, I don’t get why this wasn’t one of those times.

Even more crappy: When you go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ *after* updating, it still has the “Install Now” button, like if you had never updated. Why doesn’t it detect your version and change this button to “Your version of Flash Player is up to date!” ?? Total nonsense!

How about if Adobe used the found vulnerability to self update Flash with no input from the user.
:D
Just a thought;)

Reactions: Rafagon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.