Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe has released an update for Adobe Premiere Pro via the Creative Cloud app to resolve an audio issue that left some users with blown-out MacBook Pro speakers.

premiere-pro-macbook-pro.jpg

Earlier this month, we reported on an issue affecting a significant number of Premiere Pro users whereby the software suddenly caused loud, distorted audio to play through their MacBook Pro speakers, resulting in permanent damage. In many cases, the issue arose when users were editing the audio settings of video clips.

Adobe initially advised at least one customer to try disabling the MacBook Pro's microphone in Premiere Pro by selecting No Input under Preferences > Audio Hardware > Default Input, but the issue persisted for some users.

On February 19 Adobe told users on its community support forum that it was "aware of the issue" and "was working on a solution that will help users mitigate risk." This issue has now apparently been resolved in a version 13.0.3 update pushed to Premiere Pro users today via the Creative Cloud app. From the release notes:
Fixed issues with Premiere Pro that reduce noise interaction and help minimize possible impact.
While Adobe is urging all users to update their software, there's still no word on how affected users might be recompensed following damage to their Macs.

As a result of the bug, one user took his MacBook Pro to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store in Canada and was given $600-plus repair quote for his 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro. The price is so high because Apple has to replace the entire top case assembly containing the speakers, keyboard, trackpad, and battery.

We reached out to both Adobe and Apple for comment on the issue earlier this month but have yet to hear back. We'll update this article if we hear more.

Article Link: Adobe Issues Premiere Pro Fix for Bug That Caused Blown-Out MacBook Pro Speakers

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
Finally! Maybe Adobe can issue fixes for the million other bugs? Premiere Pro will never dethrone Avid unless its stable and backwards compatible.

Reactions: MagMan1979

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Finally! Maybe Adobe can issue fixes for the million other bugs? Premiere Pro will never dethrone Avid unless its stable and backwards compatible.

How can anyone even think that this is Adobe's fault. Sure, there might be bugs in terms of accidental 100% volume output from the speakers, but there should be hardware safeguards in place to prevent speaker damage.

It's like a game would task the graphics card to the max, causing a fire from overheating. Who is to blame? Game software?

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I don't think anything you do that involves the computer processing 1s and 0s should lead to hardware breaking. Obviously this was a Premiere problem, but Mac OS should not have allowed a software process to destroy the hardware. I think it revealed a Mac OS problem, or maybe a MacBook speaker problem.

(I hereby refuse to write out macOS anymore. Mac is already short for Macintosh. It doesn't deserve to be in subscript. I wrote Mac OS for years. I got on board with Mac OS X. I got on board with OS X. I can see the "i" in iOS because it's one letter, and it doesn't mean much of anything [except possibly Internet]. I don't care about tvOS because no one cares about tvOS, and this sentence is probably the only two times I've written that word. I care about Mac OS. And if we're going back to Mac OS I'm going to spell it the way I did for a very long time before they made me change it multiple times.)

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Articles like this remind me why I made a conscious decision to never allow Adobe software anywhere near my Apple devices.

Wasn't there another nasty Adobe bug not so long ago that was trashing Backblaze online backups?

I would question why it is possible to blow out speakers due to software - surely that is on Apple’s head.

I mean if the software set your MacBook on fire, would you still really blame the software and not Apple for having allowed such an event to even be possible which renders hardware obsolete?

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
How can anyone even think that this is Adobe's fault. Sure, there might be bugs in terms of accidental 100% volume output from the speakers, but there should be hardware safeguards in place to prevent speaker damage.

It's like a game would task the graphics card to the max, causing a fire from overheating. Who is to blame? Game software?
I never said the speaker bug was Adobe's fault. Maybe try reading...
(I hereby refuse to write out macOS anymore. Mac is already short for Macintosh. It doesn't deserve to be in subscript. I wrote Mac OS for years. I got on board with Mac OS X. I got on board with OS X. I can see the "i" in iOS because it's one letter, and it doesn't mean much of anything [except possibly Internet]. I don't care about tvOS because no one cares about tvOS, and this sentence is probably the only two times I've written that word. I care about Mac OS. And if we're going back to Mac OS I'm going to spell it the way I did for a very long time before they made me change it multiple times.)
So you write out 603 letters justifying why 5 letters is too much for you.

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
I don't think anything you do that involves the computer processing 1s and 0s should lead to hardware breaking. Obviously this was a Premiere problem, but Mac OS should not have allowed a software process to destroy the hardware. I think it revealed a Mac OS problem, or maybe a MacBook speaker problem.

Correct. If this can be done unintentionally by bad developers, this most certainly can be done intentionally by nefarious developers. Needs to be fixed by Apple.

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
Articles like this remind me why I made a conscious decision to never allow Adobe software anywhere near my Apple devices.

Wasn't there another nasty Adobe bug not so long ago that was trashing Backblaze online backups?
My speakers got blown out running windows 10 with official bootcamp drivers. You can google it, happened to quite a few people. This isn't adobes fault, should be locked at hardware and driver level to never be possible to blow out your speakers.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013

I've had to exchange speakers after just installing the Adobe pack, not actually open any of the apps. The progress bar went all the way, then a loud blip and reboot, suddenly my speakers was bust. Could hear a slight distortion in the higher frequencies like voice and music.

And yes, I have experienced a blip on my 2018 as well, but my speakers survived. This was not Adobe related. Just playing a YouTube video and suddenly the screen got distorted and a loud sound got played that sounded exactly like the experience I had before. A lot of small issues with the new machines, but my 2018 have served me well except for a few bugs here and there in terms of video playback and using external monitors.

Reactions: Baerok

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012

So Adobe offers a software fix for something that should never have been allowed to happen in hardware.

Reactions: Yvan256 and shamino

MrBat

macrumors regular
May 11, 2017
My speakers got blown out running windows 10 with official bootcamp drivers. You can google it, happened to quite a few people. This isn't adobes fault, should be locked at hardware and driver level to never be possible to blow out your speakers.

The fact that a software glitch can blow out the speakers does not speak well from Apple. Put not intended.

Max volume should be hard locked at Hardware level

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I would be surprised if Adobe was responsible for the hardware damage. Software should never be able to damage hardware, the operating system and hardware should prevent that. Just like a software bug can't cause overheating as the CPU has its own thermal cutoff feature, in case something goes wrong with fan control or whatever else. Software should not be able to send any sort of signal to the speakers that can damage the speakers. Despite Adobe obviously having made a mistake, the fact that this caused hardware damage is Apple's responsibility nonetheless.

Michaelhuisman

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Netherlands
Mine blew out while using MainStage app from Apple. Crashlog and my security cams captured the moment (incl. cat startled moment). Two topcases and a motherboard later, all is well.

Only issue is that Apple will not allow me to put AppleCare on this machine now that is *ever* had an issue, even one they’ve already repaired. We were discussing whether to have AppleCare purchased in US or EU at the time - conflicting answers meant I couldn’t “pull the trigger’ and purchase. Then the speaker-destruct moment... yeah, not a great moment, but machine operates now as expected.

Reactions: Somian and Marekul

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

So... you want a severely limited sandbox OS like iOS?

rurza

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
As a result of the bug, one user took his MacBook Pro to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store in Canada and was given $600-plus repair quote for his 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro. The price is so high because Apple has to replace the entire top case assembly containing the speakers, keyboard, trackpad, and battery.

Huh? And how 2018 Macbook Pro wasn't on warranty?

Reactions: MobiusStrip

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Warranty is for manufactored defects, the speakers were working correctly, software destroyed them. Its not apple's fault the speakers blew so they didn't have to eat the cost of the repair.

Reactions: house13um

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005

So everyone is finger pointing at Apple for not engineering a safe-guard against excessive volumes (what notebook has that???), but no one is questioning why it costs $600 to replace the speakers??? THAT is more the problem than the fact that there is no excessive volume safeguard!

Any other laptop, you remove some screws, open the cover and replace the speakers. If that cost more than $100 I'd be surprised. But Macbook requires REPLACING the battery, keyboard and trackpad along with the speakers? How are those damaged by the speaker?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.