Adobe Launches Media Player 1.0 for Mac and PC

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 9, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Adobe launched the Adobe Media Player 1.0 today. Adobe's Media Player is a standalone Video Jukebox application that runs under their AIR platform. The Media Player is compatible with both PCs and Macs.

In many ways, the Adobe Media Player mimics iTunes Video and Podcast functionality by providing users with an all-enclosed application that provides access to network shows and podcasts. Content is sparse at the moment, but Adobe has partnered with a number of content providers such as CBS, PBS, MTV and more. Unlike iTunes, however, Adobe's Media Player is not presently a "store" and offers free and ad-supported content. Adobe, however, has said that it plans on adding payment systems later to offer purchase and rental options.

The player supports playback for FLV and h.264 encoded content at up to HD quality (1080p, 720p). Content may be available for streaming or download with and without DRM depending on the rights granted by the content providers.

Predictably, there will be many iTunes users who don't see the point of transitioning to a different player, but what this represents more than just another media player is the first effective cross-platform Digital Rights Management (DRM) video platform alternative. As much as end users dislike DRM, the lack of an additional cross-platform video DRM has hindered some features on Mac. Notably, Netflix stated that the lack of a publicly-available Mac DRM solution was what prevented them from offering their streaming service to the Mac. It's not clear if Netflix will necessarily adopt Adobe's DRM, but this may open up additional alternatives to Apple's iTunes for content delivery on the Mac.

Article Link

2. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

And next, they fix slow-as-hell dreamweaver. :D I wish.

3. Jens Dietrich macrumors newbie

As unnecessary as this may seem for us Mac-only users, the cross platform nature and 1080p capability of this excite me greatly. Will have to hook my computer up to my TV soon.

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

5. David G. macrumors 65816

I was just about to say the same thing.

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm just faster. Ok, I was just here first. :eek:

<]=)

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Woohoo! Finally a legal way to watch streaming TV shows that works outside the US :D

8. Krizoitz macrumors 65816

Krizoitz

"Media Player"

Seriously!? Thats the ONLY name they can come up with? I mean I can forgive Microsoft being that bland, they have the history, but Adobe should be able to do better...

9. MurphyM macrumors 6502

can you fast forward through flv files? stuff you grabbed from flash sites? scrub back and forth?

10. iFry macrumors member

11. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

no matter what else comes of this...

competition is good! lets go apple! lets go! here we go!

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Why do you guys always forgive Microsoft for doing something retarded but are hard on other companies? Funny thing is many of you will BUY from Microsoft and hate on the other companies....Apple.

Truthfully, I welcome Adobe bringing on more media options that fully support the Mac OS. I for one am sick of 3rd party companies only supporting Windows, a crappy platform that I loathe and have no need for whatsoever, thank you Adobe.:)

13. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

It just seems to me that Adobe is now trying to do everything instead of just focusing on what they used to do best. The famous saying comes to mind:

"Jack of all trades, master of none."

I just wish they would focus more on their professional apps instead of stuff like this.

14. russellb macrumors member

They dont get it

They really dont get it.

Thats great that you can watch video on your computer ... Generally speaking I DONT WANT to sit in my home office and watch video on my computer screen.

I want to walk into the loungeroom , browse through all my content and watch it on my big LCD or projector

It's called Apple TV

15. theheadguy macrumors 65816

They are just starting...

People like you were telling Apple "They really dont get it." when iTunes 1.0 came out...

Sheesh.

16. robbyx Suspended

Ugh. Here we go again...

Do we really need this? I appreciate the argument about cross-platform DRM, but seriously, do we *really* need this? How easily can I move this content to my iPod? I don't want to watch it on my computer. I want it on my TV screen. Apple TV lets me do this easily.

The media companies need to stop being so afraid of having a single gatekeeper. It's the only way to ensure a consistent user experience. Or *they* need to get together and define a standard and require all hardware and software manufacturers to adopt it - or get no media. By allowing all the tech companies to battle over how best for us to consume media, the media companies are alienating consumers and creating confusion.

I don't want *another* media player. I want a standard. And I want all this battling over formats, DRM, and all this other stuff to stop. Because, quite frankly, I don't think most of the media being produced today - be it crap television or even more crap music - is worth this much aggravation.

17. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I'm bad; I downloaded it. It's really cool, now I don't have to go to HULU

18. jettredmont macrumors 68030

Okay, I must be missing something big here, but, every time I look at my iTunes installation, which is cross platform Win/Mac and more importantly extends to my living room (AppleTV) and shirt pocket (iPod) ... it sure as hell looks like Apple has had cross-platform DRM in the mix for several years now.

Netflix's issue was that Apple would let them license FairPlay for use in their own store. Is that what you're talking about?

19. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

20. jettredmont macrumors 68030

I'm afraid you'll have to continue going to Hulu for a while. At least from Adobe's list of content providers on their site, none of the big names on Hulu play there yet.

I'm all for dropping Hulu and ABC.com and the dozen other network-funded sites aimed at Anyone But Apple. But, adding yet another site to look for when I want to catch an episode of Show X that my DVR missed doesn't make anything easier. Until there is some level of consolidation and uniformity, we all (the consumers) lose.

21. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I only use Hulu for the CSI series and House M.D. The only show I don't have on Adobe is House. It's only a matter of time.

22. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Someone get this man a medal and a beer.

Hey Adobe, here's an idea: how about fixing your crap software first?

23. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Yes... sorry. One that is available for people who aren't Apple, since Apple won't license theirs.

arn

24. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Can I transfer content to my iPod Touch/nano/iPhone using this? No?:eek: I think I'll stick with iTunes.

25. w00master macrumors 65816

So, from here on out, you want Apple to provide you with ALL of your media needs?

I don't want a "single gatekeeper" for my media needs. I want competition. I want more options. Imagine if you bought all of your TVs from only one store, Best Buy. Sound good to you?

I feel your frustration, yet at the same time part of the reason why this is because *every* one of these companies: MS, Apple, Adobe, etc. all want *their* format to win. Just like blaming Adobe here, you should honestly blame Apple just as equally.

This is just more reason why DRM needs to go away. All of you out there that says "who cares about DRM?" Well, here's a REALLY great reason why DRM needs to go FAST.

At the same time, you have many on here that asks these questions:

1. Why isn't there a Mac version of Netflix online?
    2. Why isn't there a Mac version of Amazon Unboxed?

So on and so forth...

Part of the problem is MS, they won't release a Mac version of protected WMV player. BUT the other part of the problem (EQUALLY shared) is Apple. They won't share FairPlay. Guess what? You can't get Netflix Online; etc. etc.

Don't only blame Netflix and these other companies. Don't only blame Microsoft. Apple definitely deserves *equal* blame here.

w00master