Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
My friend's daughter has bought a M1 13" MacBook Pro for her college use at NIFT.
She wants student edition of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
According to this (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html) - she needs to install Rosetta 2.
But according to this - https://helpx.adobe.com/in/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html#beta-apps - Photoshop beta will run natively on M1.

Should she try Photoshop on Rosetta 2 or Photoshop beta native on M1 ?
Will the beta version auto-update automatically when it's released out of beta ?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
She can easily try both to see which suits her better. Once you’re paying for photoshop the other versions don’t cost extra.

Mistborn15

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2021
Rosetta 2 will install automatically. She can and should try both to see which works better but so far in my usage, I've found regular Photoshop running on Rosetta 2 much more stable than the beta, especially when copying things from Illustrator.

Reactions: Quackers

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
If she is using it for coursework or anything where deadlines are involved, I would suggest Rosetta. Companies use beta testing to determine if something like this is ready for general use, which means you should be prepared to deal with some occasional bugs when using beta software.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
The current beta is almost complete and new betas are being released 2-3 times a week. The neural filters need work but they are mostly useless anyway.

The Creative Cloud app and news sites will tell you when the app is out of beta and to update. I think Photoshop and Premiere for Apple Silicon will be out of beta in about a month. Illustrator, After Effects and others will be ready by end of summer but they work through Rosetta.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
FYI, the Beta has the same RAM consumption as Intel-PS on my Intel MBP while the Rosetta version uses a little more. Not a major difference really.

PS. If she bought the 8GB RAM version and is still within the return period, she needs to swap it for one with 16GB RAM.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
Thank you for all your replies. Looks like I'll get her use the Rosetta version for now. I don't think she'll be able to handle bugs / bug reports.
PS. If she bought the 8GB RAM version and is still within the return period, she needs to swap it for one with 16GB RAM.
They bought it from https://maplestore.in/shop/macbook-pro-13-with-m1-chip/ which itself is $over 2000. I think the custom version is available only via apple.com/in

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
FYI, the Beta has the same RAM consumption as Intel-PS on my Intel MBP while the Rosetta version uses a little more. Not a major difference really.

Photoshop runs fine on an 8GB M1, both the release version via Rosetta 2 and native via the beta version.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
PS has the same RAM needs on the M1 as on Intel when it comes to working with big PS files or multiple images open as you would when compositing, not to mention jumping back and forth between AI and PS. You can do it on 8GB, but 16Gb is better suited to this kind of usage.

photoshopguru

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
My friend's daughter has bought a M1 13" MacBook Pro for her college use at NIFT.
She wants student edition of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
According to this (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html) - she needs to install Rosetta 2.
But according to this - https://helpx.adobe.com/in/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html#beta-apps - Photoshop beta will run natively on M1.

Should she try Photoshop on Rosetta 2 or Photoshop beta native on M1 ?
Will the beta version auto-update automatically when it's released out of beta ?
OMG all these answers are WRONG WRONG WRONG, you dont need beta or any other software you simply need to run photoshop or any creative cloud programs in rosetta mode by simply checking a box in the the settings of each program here is a video tutorial on how to do it on the M1 macbook pro its super simple

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
OMG all these answers are WRONG WRONG WRONG, you dont need beta or any other software you simply need to run photoshop or any creative cloud programs in rosetta mode by simply checking a box in the the settings of each program here is a video tutorial on how to do it on the M1 macbook pro its super simple

Several of them mentioned Rosetta. Go plug your spam links somewhere else.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Just install Rosetta. if a program requires it it will use it, if not it won't.

no big deal either way.

*edit* holy necro-post, didn't realized PSG was spamming an old post from Feb.

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
You do realize you responded to a post from back in February, yes?
Photoshop has received some updates since then...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.