Adobe Releases Critical Security Update for Flash Player on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 12, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Adobe has released security updates for Flash Player that address critical vulnerabilities that could put Mac users at risk.

Flash Player version 23.0.0.162 and earlier, Flash Player Extended Support Release version 18.0.0.375 and earlier, and Flash Player for Google Chrome version 23.0.0.162 and earlier are affected on macOS Sierra and OS X.

Mac users should update to the latest Flash Player version through the built-in update mechanism, or by visiting the Adobe Flash Player Download Center.

Mac users running Flash Player 11.3.x or later who have selected the option to "allow Adobe to install updates" will receive the update automatically. Likewise, Google Chrome will automatically update Flash Player to version 23.0.0.185.

Safari on macOS Sierra deactivates Flash by default, only turning on the plug-in when user requested. Chrome, Firefox, and most other modern web browsers also have web plug-in safeguards in place due to repeated security risks.

Similar critical security updates were issued in March, for example, while Adobe released an "emergency" Flash Player security update in April to address ransomware attacks affecting Flash-based advertisements on Mac and other platforms.

Ransomware is a type of malware that encrypts a user's hard drive and demands payment in order to decrypt it. These type of threats often display images or use voice-over techniques containing instructions on how to pay the ransom.

The latest vulnerabilities, discovered by Palo Alto Networks, Trend Micro, Tencent, and other researchers, could lead to nondescript "code execution." Adobe gave the Flash Player updates its top priority rating, meaning that users should update immediately.

(Thanks, rshrugged!)

Article Link: Adobe Releases Critical Security Update for Flash Player on Mac

2. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

3. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Why are people still using this? Uninstall it. You don't need it anymore.

4. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Yet another reminder why I have completely uninstalled Flash.

5. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

6. now i see it macrumors 68030

7. Nuvi macrumors 65816

What Flash Gordon is more relevant than Flash Player...

8. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

9. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I know everyone else says that Flash isn't necessary... and normally I'd agree with you all... but I have a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard hooked up to my TV. Up until a few weeks ago, I used it to stream HBO.

Then HBO decided that I needed a newer version of Flash to be allowed to use their website, and I discovered Flash wasn't supporting Snow Leopard with current versions anymore.

Does anyone know what the best way out of this situation is? Is there a way to force newer versions of Flash to run on Snow Leopard? Can I force HBO to load on a newer version of Flash? Or should I just upgrade the Mac Mini to Lion? I have the installer already on the computer and I have 2 GB of RAM so can install it... but I just recall Lion as being way worse than Snow Leopard when it comes to performance, so I wasn't actually planning on installing it ever...

Your post + your signature go together beautifully.

10. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

I'd try using Chromium/Chrome which has a built-in version of Flash. If the lates version of that browser still works in Snow Leopard? I'm not sure… Well, now I am. Seems OS X 10.9 or later is required. :(

But maybe you could get hold of an older version that works in Snow Leopard and also has a Flash version that works with HBO? Probably wouldn't last long, though as many services eventually stop working with older versions of Flash.

11. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

It's still around because there are people who feel they need it. And as long as people (and websites) continue to use it, Adobe apparently will keep it on life support. But Adobe really does need to pull the plug and steer the remaining Flash sites toward HTML5. (I'm talking to you, homestarrunner....)

12. ScottButler macrumors regular

ScottButler

13. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

What sucks is though you do, because numerous services still use flash. NFL Direct TV site for one, can't watch any game without flash! :(

14. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Chrome dropped support of Snow Leopard earlier this year.

Crap - all the way up to OS X 10.9!? Getting my Mac Mini to just run Lion seems like it's going to be a stretch... I doubt I'll be able to make it run Mavericks...

Edit: The support page for Mavericks only says it needs 2 GB of RAM... it may be possible to force it to install and run... but I think the CPU on the 2007 Mac Mini is pretty abysmal... something like an Intel Core Solo...

15. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Installing Safari 10 disabled the Flash plug-in, and I haven't re-activated. I just use Chrome whenever I need Flash (for sites that have very poor or no HTML5 video support).

16. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Ah, good ol' memories of people saying they'd never buy an iPhone because of Flash... blah blah, I'm moving to Android, where you get better specs, better benchmarks...

17. usarioclave macrumors 65816

Isn't it faster to just rewrite it than to do these one-off patches all the time?

18. 2457282 Suspended

I always hated flash. I was very happy to kill it on my mac back a few years ago. To the developers that still write websites that use flash, STOP. If i cannot access a site with HTML5 then I move on. PERIOD.

19. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Not necessarily all that doable if let's say your bank uses a site like that or some site that you need to use for work does or something like that.

20. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Is this supposed to be news?
    To me, it's the same old story the repeats over and over... :eek:
    Good thing I stopped using Flash two years ago. If a site only supports Flash, I just move to another one.

21. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

They have some follow on product already. The real thing keeping it around is all these businesses using it who don't want to spend the money to redo their existing work for $$$ and just be back to where they were (being able to play existing video/game/slides) before they spent the said $$$.

22. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Ah, the old days! Seems just like yesterday.
    This bit though. Courage.

23. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

As much as I hate flash I'm not blind to the fact that a lot of stream tv network sites still require flash. Also p0rn sites too :/

24. usarioclave macrumors 65816

You can rewrite it without breaking backwards compatibility. I understand why people still use flash (hey government agencies), I'm just thinking that at some point just re-implement it instead of band-aiding it. That point should have been a year ago.

I suppose if there was such a thing as software liability Adobe would never have released it as-is. Imagine how much money Adobe would have been fined by now.

25. BlandUsername macrumors regular

BlandUsername

Please do tell us what you did to make all the sites that do use flash work without it on yours? :rolleyes: