Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

101944-flash_player_3d_icon.jpg

Adobe yesterday announced that Flash Player 10.2 has exited the beta testing stage is now available for general consumption for Mac, Windows, and Linux. As previously noted, Flash Player 10.2 includes Adobe's new "Stage Video" technology to leverage hardware acceleration for smoother playback with significantly lower CPU consumption.
Stage Video lets websites take advantage of full hardware acceleration of the entire video pipeline. This builds on the H.264 hardware accelerated decoding in Flash Player 10.1. Stage Video hardware acceleration means that Flash Player can play even higher quality video while using dramatically less processing power, giving users a better experience, greater performance, and longer battery life. In our testing across supported systems, we've found it's up to 34 times more efficient.

Put another way, Flash Player using Stage Video can effortlessly play beautiful 1080p HD video with just 1-15% CPU usage on a common Mac or Windows computer* - working across platforms and browsers, it will enable the best video experience for the most people.
Stage Video compatibility does require that website update the video players used on their pages, so it may take some time for the improvements to become widespread, but major video-focused sites such as YouTube and Vimeo are already well on their way to supporting Stage Video.

Other notable improvements in Flash Player 10.2 include support for multiple-monitor full-screen display to allow for multitasking, improved sub-pixel text rendering, and support for custom native mouse cursors.

Article Link: Adobe Releases Flash Player 10.2 With 'Stage Video' Hardware Acceleration

Cydonia

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Isle of Man
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It still crashes my ZX Spectrum.

Comment

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
Anyone with a mac care to test this update?

I can't wait until this hits my android device, but I don't think it'll help the framerate of robot unicorn attack :(

Comment

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
i could be wrong, but it looks like video, or video players will need to be upgraded before seeing the performance advantages, youtube is still hitting 20-50%.

Comment

apttap

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Well, you can't say that Adobe isn't trying. If it wasn't for all the negative press fro apple they probably wouldn't have done anything though.

Comment

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
How about allowing this on the iPad, with a switch to turn it off on our own. Getting tired of going to web sites that need this to see certain things. Sure it will drain the battery more, but let me decide if I want it. With more tablets coming out, if apple cannot let users decide for themselves (I think we are big enough to do this), then my next tablet sure as he'll won't be an iPad!

Comment

iVirusYx

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
They are still trying to get Flash on the iPad... We will see if they will succeed or not :D I think they won't :cool:

Comment

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Sorry if this information is readily available somewhere and I'm just missing it - are there any hardware requirements to take advantage of the hardware acceleration?

I have a 3.5-year-old Macbook with the X3100, for example.

Comment

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
If you use google chrome, does chrome update this automatically?

It should. Type about: plugins (remove the space after :) in the omnibox and see. Mine says:
Flash - Version: 10.2.154.12
Shockwave Flash 10.2 r154

If not, go in the about dialog and make sure you update.

Cheers

Last edited:
Comment

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
All these attempts by Adobe lately to lower cpu usage and power consumption. I guess Apple wasn't too far off with its criticisms...

Comment

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
It should. Type about: plugins (remove the space after :) in the omnibox and see. Mine says:
Flash - Version: 10.2.154.12
Shockwave Flash 10.2 r154

If not, go in the about dialog and make sure you update.

Cheers

Thank you!

Comment

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
SoCal
It is good to see that Adobe is trying, but it is a little late. If it wasn't for Apple giving them a swift kick in the pants they wouldn't have done anything. I've stopped using Flash all together and really don't have many problems (sure some sites, but those are far and few between and often isn't anything necessary).

But this update requires both sides of the data to be updated, meaning you have to update your player and they (the server) has to update their player. It's a lot of work, so it is going to take some time for it to come online and people to see an improvement.

For video streaming, I'd prefer if they moved to a standard instead of Adobe Flash . . . right now these proprietary formats are hurting the end user. :(

But, I guess something is better then nothing. Also are there, as I would assume, hardware requirements for this new player?

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
All these attempts by Adobe lately to lower cpu usage and power consumption. I guess Apple wasn't too far off with its criticisms...

Apple had to provide the API to enable Adobe to do this ( Hardware Acceleration )... which they [apple] did last year and Adobe was very quick to make the necessary changes.

Last edited:
Comment

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
How about allowing this on the iPad, with a switch to turn it off on our own. Getting tired of going to web sites that need this to see certain things. Sure it will drain the battery more, but let me decide if I want it. With more tablets coming out, if apple cannot let users decide for themselves (I think we are big enough to do this), then my next tablet sure as he'll won't be an iPad!

Not gonna happen. Performance is hardly the only problem with Flash.

Adobe understands that Flash isn't going to happen on iOS platforms. That's why they're creating tools like this. As that article notes:

Flash Professional used to export Java, as that was the relevant runtime of the day. Tools evolve to meet viewer demands.

If you're upset that sites are viewing things not viewable on your iPad, bug them to use this HTML5 conversion tool. If they don't listen, stop going to those sites. They'll figure it out soon enough.

If you can't live without this legacy platform, it's time to ditch your iPad.

Comment

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
I just tested it out on CNN.com. It used to freeze whenever ads were playing, now it plays them normally and smoothly. No beachball. Hopefully Flash keeps on improving.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.