Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe's annual Adobe MAX conference kicks off today, and the company is introducing a whole slew of updates to its Creative Cloud platform. Among those updates is a new version of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC, which is now a full cloud-based photography service.

Lightroom CC has been available cross-platform for some time now with a dedicated Mac app and an iOS app, but with the new cloud service, Adobe is aiming to make editing and organizing photos simpler for both professionals and enthusiasts across multiple devices.

adobelightroomcc-800x496.jpg

The new version of Lightroom CC continues to offer the same image editing capabilities that have been available in previous versions of Lightroom, but there's a new streamlined user interface with quick adjustment tools and presets that are quicker and easier to use.

All content is stored in the cloud, with Adobe providing users with up to 1TB of storage space that includes support for RAW images.

adobelightroomcc2-800x496.jpg

Full resolution photos stored in Lightroom can be edited on any device using the Lightroom CC app for Mac, the iOS app, or the web interface. Lightroom backs up all photos and keeps edits synced across devices.

Lightroom CC supports Adobe Sensei machine learning technology, which is able to recognize objects and people in photographs to make searching for and finding content simpler. Keywords are automatically applied to photos based on content.

Sharing tools make it simple to share Lightroom CC content directly to social networks, and there's an option to create Lightroom web galleries to showcase multiple photos at once. Lightroom CC also supports integration with Adobe Portfolio.

adobelightroomshare-800x450.jpg

On iOS devices, the updated Lightroom CC app features the same Adobe Sensei search technology, and it offers an enhanced iPad layout, support for the iOS 11 Files app, and support for the HEIF image format introduced in iOS 11.

With the launch of the new cloud-based Lightroom CC app, Adobe is not eliminating the previous version of Lightroom. The older non-cloud version of Lightroom, which will continue to focus on a more traditional desktop-first workflow, has been renamed to Lightroom Classic CC. Lightroom Classic CC is also getting several new updates. It is gaining an enhanced Embedded Preview workflow for scrolling through large sets of photos faster than before, and new editing capabilities like a new Color Range and Luminance Masking feature.

With the launch of the Lightroom CC Cloud Photography service, Adobe is introducing new pricing plans. The Lightroom CC Cloud service with 1TB of storage plus Photoshop CC and access to Lightroom for mobile and web is priced at $19.99 per month. For existing Photography subscribers, Adobe is dropping that price to $14.99 per month for the first year.

Adobe is adding Lightroom CC to the existing Creative Cloud Photography plan and providing current subscribers with 20GB of storage space. The plan will continue to cost $9.99 per month and includes Lightroom CC, Lightroom mobile, Lightroom web, Lightroom Classic, and Photoshop CC.

A standalone Lightroom CC plan is available for customers who don't need Photoshop access. It includes 1TB of storage and access to the mobile and web apps for $9.99 per month. For mobile only users, there's a Lightroom Mobile plan for iOS that offers 100GB of cloud storage for $4.99 per month.

More information about Adobe's New Lightroom CC Cloud Photography service can be found on the Adobe website.

Article Link: Adobe Turns Lightroom CC Into a New Cloud Photography Service

ftf

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2004
Looks like they won't be stopping it any time soon! Shame.

Just found this on the photoshop blog
"Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version of Lightroom that can be purchased outside of a Creative Cloud membership. There will not be a Lightroom 7 perpetual offering. Lightroom 6 will remain for sale for an undetermined amount of time, but will no longer be updated with camera support or bug fixes after the end of 2017. Lightroom 6.13 with support for the Nikon D850 will be released on October 26, 2017."

zkmusa

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Dallas, TX
Really don't like Adobe abandoning the non-subscription version of Lightroom. Will stick with Lightroom 6 for now, but I'll need to start looking for alternatives. It's a shame, as I've been using Lightroom since the original beta version!

Reactions: bernuli

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
They still have new verison without cloud called lightroom classic and that will be updated

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
You'd rather pay $600 up front like the old days than pay $600 over 5 years and get every update included along the way? I'll have what you're smoking!

This! Adobe software used to be pretty steep which put it out of reach of a lot of non-professionals.

Also I bet this helps massively with piracy.

Reactions: shaunp and Chung123

zkmusa

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Dallas, TX
They still have new verison without cloud called lightroom classic and that will be updated

Yes, that version is without cloud, but it's not a standalone version. You still have to pay a monthly/annual subscription fee.
[doublepost=1508335598][/doublepost]
Deduct it as a business expense.

The only possible way to complain is if someone is a software pirate who doesn't earn money from it. In that case feel free to keep using a torrent copy of CS6 (with trojans included) and telling the world how amazeballs it is.

I disagree. I've been a paying user of Lightroom since Lightroom 1. I'm only an enthusiast and enjoy photography, hence the reason for using Lightroom. That being said, I don't need the annual updates that Adobe tends to release. I usually upgrade every 3 years or so. The subscription forces me to basically buy Lightroom yearly.

No one is talking about software piracy here.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008

What happens if you need more than 1TB of storage? Do they follow the old iTunes Match model and basically you can't use their stuff.
[doublepost=1508332978][/doublepost]

With the name "Classic" I wonder for how much longer.

Lr Classic is a desktop version, but is part of the CC plan. Not a standalone. I don't think you can get it alone.

Lr CC is now a whole "ecosystem" as Adobe calls it, an online sharing, storage and editing service. Sorta like Mylio but with included online storage.

I dunno if you can buy more than 1TB. I imagine lots of folks will be putting only their working, sharing and gallery photos there, although if you do a lot of weddings, etc I could see how that would fill. Esp since it holds raw. Wonder if it does HEIF.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
meh. I played a bit with Lightroom CC - seems pretty stripped. There is no way to organise photos.
It's just drop a bunch of images and see how you sort out the mess.

To me it doesn't look yet like a ready solution for professional photographers who need to keep things sorted out.

Maybe I missed something...

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
meh. I played a bit with Lightroom CC - seems pretty stripped. There is no way to organise photos.
It's just drop a bunch of images and see how you sort out the mess.

To me it doesn't look yet like a ready solution for professional photographers who need to keep things sorted out.

Maybe I missed something...

Well, that seems a tad misguided. I think you missed a lot! Lightroom's a great way to organise photos, especially for stock using collections. I would imagine that many professional photographers use Lightroom.

I remember, before I used it, I read of someone who said they hardly used Photoshop any more, and how sceptical I was. But I can see where they're coming from now. Lightroom is the go-to app for my photography.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Deduct it as a business expense.

The only possible way to complain is if someone is a software pirate who doesn't earn money from it. In that case feel free to keep using a torrent copy of CS6 (with trojans included) and telling the world how amazeballs it is.
I think there are more pirated copies of CC than CS 1-2-3-4-5-6...

I went the Affinity way, and glad I did, for 100 bucks total I got 2 awesome products and an iPad version too :D.

Reactions: ignatius345

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
You'd rather pay $600 up front like the old days than pay $600 over 5 years and get every update included along the way? I'll have what you're smoking!

Agree. Maybe I'm showing age here, but I remember spending hundreds on PS and other software many years ago. You were lucky to get updates once a year, and then had to pay upgrade prices. (Which were always in that $100 neighborhood too).

I switched to Lightroom CC when it was offered, and still think that basically $120 a year for constantly updated pro products, LR and PS, is a great deal.

Now, with that said, I do not like the cloud stuff. I'm a hard core amateur and have a few TB of local images. Yes, I know the "classic" version will work the same as the current, but I worry about being forced into the cloud stuff down the road.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
:eek:

For many photographers, 1 TB of cloud storage won’t be enough for their libraries, so Adobe is also offering additional storage tiers:

• 2 TB for $20 per month
  • 5 TB for $50 per month
  • 10 TB for $100 per month

Reactions: jettredmont

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Been a paying customer since Lightroom 2, 3, 4, and 5. Didn’t even upgrade to 6 since I don’t see any new features being worth the price. But the problem is the RAW support for future cameras. It is annoying that every new camera needs an updated software to support it.

The key question here, is there another application that can substitute Lightroom on the desktop? Aperture was the option but it’s no more.

Note that Lightroom is not the same as Photoshop. There are plenty of Photoshop alternatives, but I don’t see any for Lightroom. If Adobe offered a Lightroom only subscription for like $5 a month, then I will bite. Don’t want to pay for Photoshop that I never use (and plenty of substitutes).

Photoshop stand-alone cost a lot of money, thus the subscription offer looks cheaper. Lightroom retail is less than $150, (less for upgrade), and if I don’t use any new cameras, I don’t see the need to upgrade. The subscription option for me becomes more expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pirate!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
A Lightroom license is inexpensive. It is the only payed Adobe software I was getting because I could buy it now and then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.