Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
you can't change plans, those options are only available for new customers.

I'm on the Photography ($9.99) plan and see options to switch to any of the other plans, and to pick the specific amount of network storage I want. Can't speak for someone currently on the all-apps plan, but it would be very odd for Adobe to have cut you off from the same functionality.

CC app in menu bar > user icon in upper right > Manage Account > Plans and Products/Manage Plan > Switch Plan. I see the two similar plans, but with drop-downs to choose any amount of storage ("conveniently" defaults to 10TB of storage at a hundred bucks a month!). To the right of the second option there is an arrow, which moves me over into the "All Apps" plans, all of which also have the same dropdown with the same options, defaulting to 10TB.

So I definitely can change plans. It would be silly for Adobe to not allow its current all-apps plan customers to similarly switch plans. If you really are not able to, call Adobe tech support, because that is almost 100% certainly a bug (why would they not want your extra money?)
[doublepost=1508438205][/doublepost]
Maybe Adobe is being sensible here, they knew the all-apps plan users must be actual content creators, who should have no chance in hell trusting their whole catalog on the cloud.

You are not "entrusting your whole catalog to the cloud". You are backing it up (well, syncing it) to the cloud. If you are a professional whose livelihood depends on content you are creating, and are not backing your data up somewhere, IMHO you are not a very good "professional". As the old saying goes, nothing exists until it exists in three places - one of which is offsite.

That said, there are definitely better options for offsite backup out there, and Adobe's reliability as a cloud storage provider is completely untested, and its competency in keeping your files private in the face of increasingly sophisticated attacks, so in the end you are probably right that most people paying the all-apps monthly fee because they are making money from their content are not going to blindly trust Adobe with their offsite backups.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
I'm on the Photography ($9.99) plan and see options to switch to any of the other plans, and to pick the specific amount of network storage I want. Can't speak for someone currently on the all-apps plan, but it would be very odd for Adobe to have cut you off from the same functionality.

CC app in menu bar > user icon in upper right > Manage Account > Plans and Products/Manage Plan > Switch Plan. I see the two similar plans, but with drop-downs to choose any amount of storage ("conveniently" defaults to 10TB of storage at a hundred bucks a month!). To the right of the second option there is an arrow, which moves me over into the "All Apps" plans, all of which also have the same dropdown with the same options, defaulting to 10TB.

So I definitely can change plans. It would be silly for Adobe to not allow its current all-apps plan customers to similarly switch plans. If you really are not able to, call Adobe tech support, because that is almost 100% certainly a bug (why would they not want your extra money?)

it's certainly not possibly was on with customer service and they told me that they do not offer any upgrade option and tried to sell me on the photography plan. i feel like I'm in kookoo-land. seems so weird they won't let me give them more money.

No i do some teaching so have the education discount, but they don't even offer me an option to change to a standard user. and support was less than helpful, i'd paste the transcript but it's long.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 3.17.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 3.17.49 PM.png
    330.8 KB · Views: 75

shadowbird423

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
Chapel Hill
Thanks for the link, I was wondering myself. But…

Another announcement caught my eye - HPs new ZBook X2 "workstation" - which I might have otherwise missed. I need to buy some laptops for my company later this year, and the combo of 32GB RAM, up to 2TB PCIe SSD, Quadro dGPU had me call my vendor for an estimate as the prices aren't available yet. Relevant to this thread, you're wondering - HP is adding in a 1-year sub of CC in some of their SKUs, I might flip these year-on-year if the price is right and I want to remain on CC, although the Quadro will work very well with my CAD apps. Cheers!

Can you share some of the prices? That laptop caught my eye as well.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The image editing is on a par, but the DAM capabilities are limited. It can't handle big libraries like Aperture does.
That's what stopped me, when using the trial, I found it difficult to manage a library, including smart collections, keywording and just organizing into folders. Each revision (I've been keeping an eye on C1), their DAM capabilities has improved, so maybe C11 will be the version that brings it all together.

I find subscriptions to be reprehensible
Agreed, and tbh, every month, I send 10.61 over to Adobe, I ask myself why am I doing it. Yet at the end of the day, they seem to be the only one that brought together a seamless and integrated experience that provides great DAM capabilities, very good non-destructive editing, and plug-in support. I don't need all that, but I am looking for a good DAM product with decent RAW/Editing. Capture One gives me great editing, but mediocre (at best), DAM features. End of the day, I've yet to find anything as good, so I keep paying

but Lightroom had been maintaining a stand alone version...
From what I've seen, the stand alone version is no more, at least not being sold by Adobe. You may still be able to buy it from someone, but its basically a dead end version - if what I saw is correct.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
You are not "entrusting your whole catalog to the cloud". You are backing it up (well, syncing it) to the cloud. If you are a professional whose livelihood depends on content you are creating, and are not backing your data up somewhere, IMHO you are not a very good "professional". As the old saying goes, nothing exists until it exists in three places - one of which is offsite.

That said, there are definitely better options for offsite backup out there, and Adobe's reliability as a cloud storage provider is completely untested, and its competency in keeping your files private in the face of increasingly sophisticated attacks, so in the end you are probably right that most people paying the all-apps monthly fee because they are making money from their content are not going to blindly trust Adobe with their offsite backups.
My reply was more of a joke post but since you raised some good points so here's my take:
Of course any pros worth their salt must have their own backup strategy. This hasn't changed with or without cloud services around. If anything, having clouds makes it easier and cheaper than not.

However, with LR CC's approach it is much more trickier. You are now encouraged to use the online catalog of your files as the main active instance, it is in fact more restrictive than using a 3rd party cloud service just as off site storage while still using your local copy as main. "Trusting my catalog to the cloud" is not only about data integrity, but also availability and accessibility when a restoration is needed. In vanilla LR, maintaining archives of catalogs is as easy as copying the folder somewhere via Finder, the availability of them is fully in the users' control. Now with CC you are entrusting and empowering Adobe to do most of that, not to mention the apparent bandwidth bottleneck of an internet connection vs good old local I/O.

pezdaddy

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Wasn't there an option to drop photoshop CC in exchange for the 1 TB storage and still keep the price at $9.99?

I'm not seeing that in my pricing options.

So Lightroom Classic, Lightroom CC, and 1 TB of storage (but no photoshop)

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Agreed, and tbh, every month, I send 10.61 over to Adobe, I ask myself why am I doing it. Yet at the end of the day, they seem to be the only one that brought together a seamless and integrated experience that provides great DAM capabilities, very good non-destructive editing, and plug-in support. I don't need all that, but I am looking for a good DAM product with decent RAW/Editing. Capture One gives me great editing, but mediocre (at best), DAM features. End of the day, I've yet to find anything as good, so I keep paying
Yeah, I could go with Lightroom until something else catches up, but I really don't want to go through this twice.

I don't know if it's just that I've gotten used to Aperture over the years, or if it's really that much better than everything else, but it's amazing how hard it is to find a good replacement-- or two good replacements, I'm sure Lightroom does the trick if you're happy with the business model.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yeah, I could go with Lightroom until something else catches up, but I really don't want to go through this twice.

I don't know if it's just that I've gotten used to Aperture over the years, or if it's really that much better than everything else, but it's amazing how hard it is to find a good replacement-- or two good replacements, I'm sure Lightroom does the trick if you're happy with the business model.

I SO agree with you about Aperture! I keep clinging to it and using it even though I’ve purchased a couple of other programs....time after time I just reach for Aperture and find it so much quicker and easier! Probably one reason is that of course I’m accustomed to it and know what I’m doing in it, which I don’t with the other programs (yet). Just today I had a couple of photos I wanted to quickly edit — and instead of opening and working with the new program I had purchased only a few days ago, what did I do? Yep, opened Aperture, did my thing and it was done and dusted in no time. I really wish Apple had not stopped supporting Aperture!

Reactions: ErikGrim

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
That's what stopped me, when using the trial, I found it difficult to manage a library, including smart collections, keywording and just organizing into folders. Each revision (I've been keeping an eye on C1), their DAM capabilities has improved, so maybe C11 will be the version that brings it all together.

From what I've seen, the stand alone version is no more, at least not being sold by Adobe. You may still be able to buy it from someone, but its basically a dead end version - if what I saw is correct.

Do you sync your photos in any way? I've been using iCloud Photo Library for the last 2 months as a test. It's okay, but handles RAW files poorly. I like reviewing and modifying my photos on the iPad.

Back when I was using LR, I had my library on my Mac and no access on any devices. I guess I could use a plugin to export photos as JPEGs to Apple Photos and use "optimize Mac storage" to cut down on duplicates as a way to get my photos to other devices.

LR just seemed so silo-ed. This version changes that, but I don't like the aggressive cloud integration. Sadly, I can seem to find my perfect DAM. I mean, if I show DNG raw on my iPhone, it comes out fuzzy and useless in Photos. Why would Apple introduce a feature with no support?
[doublepost=1508688689][/doublepost]
I SO agree with you about Aperture! I keep clinging to it and using it even though I’ve purchased a couple of other programs....time after time I just reach for Aperture and find it so much quicker and easier! Probably one reason is that of course I’m accustomed to it and know what I’m doing in it, which I don’t with the other programs (yet). Just today I had a couple of photos I wanted to quickly edit — and instead of opening and working with the new program I had purchased only a few days ago, what did I do? Yep, opened Aperture, did my thing and it was done and dusted in no time. I really wish Apple had not stopped supporting Aperture!

Or had better Photo support. Like I said above, if you shoot RAW on iOS, the iOS and Apple Photos app only displays a pixels low-res thumbnail. I don't know .DNG support isn't added.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They also said that they'd be providing a non-subscription LR for sale, but that stopped as well.

We've already seen Adobe spend more time on the mobile version of LR (before it was rebranded to LR CC), and so I think we'll see that the classic version will get less and less updates and the LR CC as its now called will get the lion share of updates
[doublepost=1508755522][/doublepost]
Do you sync your photos in any way?
No, I keep my images local.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Check out Affinity Photo from Serif. I believe they have a trial version so you can check out whether it does what you need. It satisfies all my pixel editing needs. I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff PS does that Affinity Photo doesn't, but I've been really happy with the product.

AP can't work with 1 bit artwork, all the alternatives i found concentrate on photo work, i need it for comic artwork and reproduction.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/23232-1bit-bitmap-mode-colour-format/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.