Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Col127

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2003
at least the upgrade pricing isn't too bad... but doesn't sound like i'll upgrade - the new features are pretty minor.

Adobe Photoshop CS4 will cost $699 and ship in October. Existing Photoshop CS3, Photoshop CS2, or Photoshop CS owners can upgrade for $199. Adobe Photoshop Extended will cost $999 and existing Photoshop CS3 Extended, Photoshop CS2 or Photoshop CS owners can upgrade for $349.

Full details and pricing information can be obtained from Adobe.com.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
There are so many other things I could complain about here.

I know it's petty. I know it's minor.

But I really dislike the packaging. And the icons are actually even worse than CS3. The black on the colored boxes is a bit harder to see.

And that spectrum in the center of the box? I just don't get it.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
... on Windows, you mean - right?

Nope. The same goes for both platforms. Even on Mac with more than 4 GB RAM (if it is supported, like on the Mac Pro) Photoshop has a 3,25-3,75 GB memory limit/barrier. The other RAM is used for cache by the system...

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
iMac is not intended for professional computing audiences like graphics or video professionals. So anyone who needs the extra GPU processing for photoshop duties should be getting a Mac Pro anyway. I'm not saying the iMac doesn't deserve a true video card in it, I'm just saying that needing a GPU for photoshop acceleration is not a valid reason. The iMac should get a real video card, but not for that reason.

I think you're confusing the terms professional and what the profession is in.

The iMac is great for 2D work. Our studio uses nothing but and Mac Pros would be overkill.

Sure, if you're into video editing and 3D, you're better off with a Pro.

As for the GPU, the Radeon 2600 and GeForce 8800 will relish PS making use of them.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I only hope fanboys now realise that it's not ok to release a new macbook with an integrated graphics chipset from the stone ages. It's clear that a proper video card is going to benefit the program now, which means cheaper PC's are going to have a huge edge over mac's unless apple step up.

How many people after buying this would use it on a macbook ? Are the few people that would run this on a macbook a reason to put in a better graphics chip to raise the price of the macbook for everyone else ?

rlcramer

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2002
I'd love to skip CS4, but...

I'm sure Adobe will never release another update to Camera Raw for CS3, so unless I want to stick with the same DSLR for the next 2 years, I'll basically be forced to upgrade, in order to get RAW support for a new camera. I guess the aperture model of RAW support in the OS doesn't look so bad after all.

That's crap if you ask me. I'm sure we'll never see 5DMkII Raw support in CS3, although I hope I'm wrong...

Bobby

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Yay for Soundbooth

I'm excited for Soundbooth actually. Garageband isn't made for elaborate projects and Logic 8 has some serious bugs that basically destroy good recordings. I've played around with Audobe Audition (former Cool Edit) and loved it.

I'd use Logic, but those bugs are knows for a good year now, and there's still no patch for it.

Ed State

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2004
Actually... now that I've reread the all preceding posts, It's seems it's pretty much "accepted" CS3 does NOT behave well w/ Leopard!

There are still bugs galore, especially when trying to use Spaces, show/hide, and heaven forbid the application switcher. Plus other random glitches.

How come this inexcusable level of performance from one of the premier apps made for Mac has not been more widely reported? More importantly, how come it hasn't been FIXED? And yet they're already seeding their next $1500+ update?

:mad:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Nope. The same goes for both platforms. Even on Mac with more than 4 GB RAM (if it is supported, like on the Mac Pro) Photoshop has a 3,25-3,75 GB memory limit/barrier. The other RAM is used for cache by the system...

That's the same as CS3, right?

If Igary's question was for CS4 on an Apple, then I don't know why there'd be much question about 32-bit CS4 vs 32-bit CS3.

For 64-bit Windows CS4, though, it's an interesting question. Most likely the current 8 TiB OS limit wouldn't work - but with system support for 128 GiB of RAM, it could get interesting.

(Note that Intel was showing Nehalem workstations with 192 GiB of RAM at IDF (64 GiB in each of three channels). Also note that Windows Server 2008 supports 2048 GiB of RAM on basically the same codebase as Vista.)

...It's seems it's pretty much "accepted" CS3 does NOT behave well w/ Leopard!

There are still bugs galore, especially when trying to use Spaces, show/hide, and heaven forbid the application switcher. Plus other random glitches.

How come this inexcusable level of performance from one of the premier apps made for Mac has not been more widely reported? More importantly, how come it hasn't been FIXED? And yet they're already seeding their next $1500+ update?

And why do you put the blame on Adobe when clearly the problem is that Leopard is not compatible with Tiger?

Looks like Apple's screwup, not Adobe's.

Ed State

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2004
And why do you put the blame on Adobe when clearly the problem is that Leopard is not compatible with Tiger?

Looks like Apple's screwup, not Adobe's.

You might be right... because Office '08 has the same problems.

But the bigger point is these problems still exist after several updates from both companies. And there has been none, zip, ZERO press coverage of this problem, or acknowledgement (obviously, i guess) from the companies.

The two biggest productivity suites for mac DONT work w/ Leopard's marquee feature: Spaces!

Unbelievable.

stevieled

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Cost

I have never bought a release of the full photoshop, only photoshop elements several years back, so can someone explain to me a little thing called cost.

WHY DOES PHOTOSHOP COST $699??? I can get tons of software for free and use them to do some of the same things photoshop does. How can adobe justify this RIDICULOUS price??

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
I have never bought a release of the full photoshop, only photoshop elements several years back, so can someone explain to me a little thing called cost.

WHY DOES PHOTOSHOP COST $699??? I can get tons of software for free and use them to do some of the same things photoshop does. How can adobe justify this RIDICULOUS price??

1. nothing else comes remotely close to matching it.

2. it's industry standard so you've no other option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.