Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
You also should be aware that larger professional shops don't immediately upgrade to the latest OS release - they wait for things like this to settle down. Often, they don't upgrade at all...
True and not so true. Ive worked in larger shops but the smart ones always budget for upgrades. Now whether you deploy them is a different story. In my dept. I will purchase the upgrades for all the machines. But I dont deploy them all untill its been tested on a single machin pref by prisoners ;) LOL!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Blame Apple for no x64 on OSX, not Adobe

I think Adobe owes 64bit to the mac crowd.
EVeryone who buys this version should get a free 64bit update.

Is that unrealistic? No, Adobe should have jumped on the new system laid out and cleaned out the guts for speed. Its a bit unfortunate as this is a nice update but its missing the 64 bit.

Had Apple not broken its promise to deliver Carbon 64 support in Leopard, you'd have CS4 x64...

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/04/photoshop_lr_64.html

As we wrapped up Photoshop CS3, our plan was to ship 64-bit versions of the next version of Photoshop for both Mac and Windows. On the Mac Photoshop (like the rest of the Creative Suite, not to mention applications like Apple's Final Cut Pro and iTunes) relies on Apple's Carbon technology.

Apple's OS team was busy enabling a 64-bit version of Carbon, a prerequisite for letting Carbon-based apps run 64-bit-native.

At the WWDC show last June, however, Adobe & other developers learned that Apple had decided to stop their Carbon 64 efforts.

This means that 64-bit Mac apps need to be written to use Cocoa (as Lightroom is) instead of Carbon. This means that we'll need to rewrite large parts of Photoshop and its plug-ins (potentially affecting over a million lines of code) to move it from Carbon to Cocoa.

Note that Leopard betas had Carbon 64 support - then it was withdrawn....

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
I call it CS 3.5.

The only "wow" feature is the GPU for Photoshop. Just only Photoshop?

1) Why not enable GPU on all CS softwares
2) There is no 64bit in mac yet (only on PC).
3) Carbon API? It's still too bloated and I'm sure it is on CS4.
4) Little improvement? How about big improvements plus more features! ha

If you passed those above, then i'll considered it "cs4" and will buy it. I think I'll wait for CS5 or CS9 unless they fixed those things ;)

Thank you.

riversky

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2005
Does this mean that apple will finally be putting decent, modern graphics cards in imacs (8800 isn't exactly latest and greatest) and macbooks?

No because if you want a laptop to run CS4 you better be buying a MacBook Pro.

The new MacBooks are very likely to have the next gen intel integrated graphics chipset.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Has Adobe sold GoLive to someone else, yet? I'd like to see Apple pick that one up and give us a web-authoring application.. iWeb Pro? Cyberdog 2 (Apple should also buy the AIBO plans from Sony, while they're at it)? eWorld 2? ;)

jeremyschultz

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2006
Clive, Iowa USA
so, how does the upgrading stuff work? i have macromedia studio 8. i bought the upgrade to the design premium cs3. i see that for a limited time i can upgrade to cs4 with the studio 8 software, but does the upgrade i bought to cs3 count too?

or am i limited by the original software i bought?

You're officially upgraded so you should be fine to upgrade from CS3 Design Premium. According to the price sheet, you can upgrade to CS4 DP for $599.

Jeremy

Virtuoso

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Seattle
After Effects is still 32 bit. Looks like they've barely touched it in the past 18 months. :mad:

No point upgrading for me. :(

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
An 8800 GT can handle everything in CS marvelously well.

What? So the iMac was done to use Safari, iTunes and a bit iMovie. I guess professional but not hardcore Photoshop an iMac is just perfect. But I agree that the iMac should get real hardware soon or it will be quite outdated.
The iMac will run Photoshop and all the other programs just fine as long as you have a decent one. You won't be getting the sort of performance you can get from a Mac Pro, but it will run more than good enough for the vast majority of iMac users. Anybody depending on the programs for serious high-end professional work beyond this, though, will have a Mac Pro (and that won't be tough considering the money they can spend on the products).

I'm trying to determine if education copies of CS3 can be upgraded to education copies of CS4. So far the answer seems to be no, in which case education users will have to stick with CS3 Education, pay the full education price for a new CS4 Education, or contact Adobe about an upgrade to the non-education version.
They'll probably have other upgrade options. They usually do. Check the product pages at Adobe's website and you should find a complete listing somewhere (unless they haven't gotten around to posting it yet). I think they still offered educational upgrades (to educational editions) with CS3.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Thanks for mentioning Inkscape. I never heard of it and it looks good.
I'll check those out especially Inkscape. Thanks!! It'd be nice if they have INDD alternative.

Despite its bugs, sluggishness and X11 interface, I find Inkscape to be the only usable vector graphics program for OS X - apart from possibly Illustrator because there's no way I could ever afford that.

Others I have tried are Lineform and Intaglio (both pretty, but very poor feature sets), and EazyDraw (well featured but buggy and hideously unintuitive IMO, although the developer has assured me he's responding to some of this feedback).

SL

orangeillini14

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
I just bought CS3 about a month ago... do you think it's worth it to get the upgrade?

I mainly use PS and Illustrator...

viktore

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
Then what...

Just what the hell were you hoping for?

There are tones of new features... Have any of you actually went through all the "new features" sections of all apps?

- Search speech in Premiere (incredibly useful for captioning professionals and general timing purpose)
- Content aware stretching in photoshop (we've seen it before but it's right into Photoshop! Imagine how much time it will save)
- Paint on 3D object
- Export 3D objects to After Effects
- Soundbooth for Mac
- Export After Effects Comp into Flash seamlessly
- Live view in Dream Weaver
- Canvas rotate in Photoshop
- Smooth viewing tools in PS
- Great improvement to the Adjustment Layer, masking functionality

and it's just from the top of my head. Just what are you missing?
Overpriced yes. No cocoa. But This is major upgrades...
There are so many new features...

Have you even tried PS CS4 yet? I did and love it. I feel like they went into my mind and added all those MINOR changes that makes MAJOR changes to your workflow: In the save for web dialogue, you don't have to press Apply anymore when you resize!!!!!! FINALY.

Anyway... I guess it's just my opinion. I'm REALLY curious to see what kind of stuff you were wishing to see.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
CS 3.5, Mac OS 8.7

This look like CS 3.5

You stole the words out of my mouth.

I really wish the bigger players would start adding a little extra value to their major releases (so we'd have version 3.1, 3.2, 3.5, etc...), instead of a major new version (along with a couple of patches) every couple of years, and that's it. Otherwise, if the new product doesn't add enough reason to upgrade, they lose out all together until someone decides to upgrade a few versions down the line (or move to another product entirely).

When Mac OS 9 came out, about the only thing that seemed overly useful was the iTools integration. Yes, there are a couple of other nice features to OS 9, but nothing quite to the level to make it leaps and bounds better than OS 8.

i3iz

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2005
I am seriously thinking about buying the upgrade!
I was watching some cool new features in my favorite application Illustrator:
Looks good!
http://www.gomediazine.com/design-tip/product-tip-review/adobe-illustrator-cs4-preview/

For you this is a worthy upgrade. IMO Indesign's use of gradients has been more robust than illustrator and that is an issue. If i want to stroke a font w/ a gradient in illustrator i have to create outlines. Also indesigns new Effects pallette that allows you to provide effects/transparency to each part of the element is genius and robust.

I had almost completely dumped illustrator, save for logo design in all of my layouts. I have the feeling with multi-artboard and better gradient control, it may get back into the rotation. Also, I hope they fixed the bog. It is the only slow app on my Mac Pro. Even printing lags.

You're officially upgraded so you should be fine to upgrade from CS3 Design Premium. According to the price sheet, you can upgrade to CS4 DP for $599.

Jeremy

Seems like if you own CS3 you should get cheaper prices than cs2/CS and they should be cheaper than something before that. Otherwise it just encourages people to pick up a $50 copy of some out-dated software on ebay and upgrade. Also, it doesn't make me want to get the latest, having CS3. Almost burns you a little for getting the latest and supporting them.

I just bought CS3 about a month ago... do you think it's worth it to get the upgrade?

Ill - yes IMHO Pay $199 and get the ill upgrade
Photo - no IMHO

HTML:
<hr>
For everyone who whines about prices, think about how much you make from your designs. If i bid by the job and do a quick good job, i can pay for this thing in a couple hours work. If i bid by the hour, it may take longer, but still get it done in a day. I never hear construction workers bitching about their 12" compound miter saw costing $600. They know that's what it costs and they need it.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007

Call up Customer Care and ask if you are eligible for a free update.

I don't see why not.

But seriously folks, (not the quoted fellow) quit complaining about the price. Software development isn’t cheap. Sorry, but that’s the way it is. If Apple came out with a PS alternative, and put the same amount of research that Aldus/Adobe slaved over for so long, I would be very impressed.

You cannot employ a group of high schoolers for coding a complex beast like PS. A minimum of four years of school plus plenty of experience miiight get you in the door. Couple that with Google and other software/app vendors who all want talent from a very limited pool, and the competition (cost) gets fierce (expensive).

I guess if Adobe outsourced their entire San Jose operations to India and charged $25 bucks for less feature updates some of you would still complain.

Besides, if you really use the tools effectively, you can do some pretty wicked things across various mediums (web, print, video etc) and one project will pay for the ENTIRE master collection, hardware, and cash on the side to buy up some fonts.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I have been using photoshop since 2.5.
The biggest change was 3 where they introduced layers...like night and day.
(though I did not use a newer version from 2.5 until version 4.)

I still have my PS2.5 floppy, I wonder if I can get the upgrade to CS4 Extended? ;)

But seriously... now that I'm a student again the price is very enticing.

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2006
Seriously, this is a .5 upgrade if I've ever seen one. Looks like Adobe is more concerned with their shareholders than the actual users of their software.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
I'm trying to determine if education copies of CS3 can be upgraded to education copies of CS4. So far the answer seems to be no, in which case education users will have to stick with CS3 Education, pay the full education price for a new CS4 Education, or contact Adobe about an upgrade to the non-education version.

I would like to know the answer to this as well. My friend and I are in the same situation and would like to know our options for CS4. Adobe doesn't seen to be 100% clear on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.