adobe updates for 10.5 (bad news for some)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by puckhead193, Oct 26, 2007.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Is Adobe the new Microsoft?

No updates to Acrobat Pro until Jan '08.....goes to show you how bloated and useless it's become.

-Kevin

3. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

i feel bad for all the video editors out their who can't run leopard until the CS3 updates. I think its a hint to get FCS2. I want to know why they haven't thought about this since leopard was announced :rolleyes:

4. taybo20 macrumors regular

taybo20

I kinda agree about the film thing...i just think that Adobe just doesn't have the power like FCP and Shake do. Those are Apple based softwares and for Mac users, the best choice IMHO. I started laughing when I noticed that all the Adobe softwares that wouldn't be compatible right away were for film editing.

5. overcast macrumors 6502a

Typically if you are running in any type of production environment. You don't just run out and install the latest OS anyhow.

6. taybo20 macrumors regular

taybo20

Very true...:cool:

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Whatever, Adobe. You would think that a company as large as Adobe would be on top of things. They took forever to get CS3 out the door, shipped the product with a bloated installer that spreads files everywhere (it's practically impossible to uninstall) and now they can't even get updates out in a timely fashion.

Pathetic.

I guess I should note that I actually forked over the $$$ for CS3 Design Premium and SoundBooth.

8. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Does anyone know of a way to get Acrobat 7 to print PDFs under Leopard? I've installed on a backup drive until I know everything works, but not being able to print pdfs will definitely stop me putting it on my main drive.

Adobe are useless with their updates. Truly. Even for the newest program (CS3) it's difficult to believe they're not ready once again. Ah well.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I think the company has just gotten too large for their own good. Sort of like Microsoft. Some software companies just get to the point where they can't manage everything and for whatever reason bloat and bad code occurs.

I've always hated Acrobat (bloated piece of worthless garbage) but it's sad to hear Photoshop & CS3 is going the same route.

10. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

I even had to uninstall v8 of acrobat professional in windows as was it was extreme bloatware and hardly ran. such a rip after getting it with master suite. son as i find a good pdf editor/reader in osx i will trash it completly...as it seems that v7 won't even be supported in leopard! can't live without photoshop however...

11. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I can't upgrade to Leopard until Lightroom is guaranteed to work fully.

Of course, I wasn't planning to until I replace my iBook with a MacBook Pro next year, anyhow, so it's not that bad.

12. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Well i hope they get on top of there little upload problem in flash because as a web developer this really messes me up

13. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Typical Adobe.

Guess we should kiss their feet since they seem not to be waiting for a full upgrade where they would gouge users even more.

14. genereyes macrumors member

Shockwave

What about the Adobe Shockwave player? I don't use it at all, but one of my friends (who just bought his first Mac last week!!!) wants it to play some online games...

Seems silly that Adobe's recommendation is to run Safari w/ Shockwave player in compatibility mode (aka Rosetta). :eek: Adobe has had so much time to port/compile their code to Leopard and Intel Macs.

15. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

How is this incompatibility a reflection on Adobe? Isn't the situation more likely a reflection on whether Apple provided Adobe with the necessary information to upgrade its software?

And what commercially available software or operating system these days isn't "bloated"?

16. mac-er macrumors 65816

Maybe you should ask if Apple is the new Microsoft? Where are all the people that blamed Microsoft for Vista incompatibility?

Same boat.

17. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Now what about CS2? Will all the CS2 programs work fine with Leopard? OH WAIT, nevermind, got my answer from that PDF. lol

18. sjo macrumors 6502a

funny coincidence that apple os upgrade just happens to kill the competing programs of another vendor. i wonder if everybody on the board would be as quick to condemn adobe if it was microsofts os upgrade killing competition :rolleyes:

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Competition? They're hardly in competition as far as CS3 is concerned...Aperture is not so massive, and really only competes with Adobe's LightRoom...

20. bornonbord macrumors newbie

Adobe is already in it deep...

The Adobe suite was originally built for OS9 and has been running in shells for ages. CS3 was the first time it was built for OSX - rewriting code from the ground up. But right as Adobe was getting CS3 ready and written, Apple announced the switch to Intel. Now Adobe has to rewrite again in order for their programs to run native in Intel which is not as simple a process as many other applications have had that were written in Cocoa.

And Apple releases another OS that requires updates. Adobe's having a tough time as it is keeping up. I'm just glad they're pulling their resources to keep it written for both Windows AND Mac. It's worth a bit of a wait, I'd think.

21. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

I'm pretty pissed that Lightroom doesn't really work. It is a big problem.

22. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I just tested it out. Seems to be fine here. What's the issue? (I'm on a PPC)

23. chubad macrumors 6502

Bingo! We have a winner!! The bigger and busier the Design or production facility the more cautious they are about upgrading. Most wait until everything is stable. The place where I work has a strict policy of NEVER allowing first revision software regardless of who makes it.

24. xenotaku macrumors regular

Lightroom is a great program, but just use Aperature for the time being. By the time they upgrade lightroom, you will like Aperature more anyways. It does the exact same thing, has the shine and polish of Apple software, and is seamless with PS.

Now the question for me is....any chance of CS2 working with leopard?