Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Having both the Script and the Touch, I've been using the Script more and more for writing via zoombox in Goodnotes. For that kind of use not having the disc makes for a more natural feel and the offset isn't as problematic. The offset still makes it difficult to use for full screen writing or sketching though.

Good news is the battery is still going strong after more than a month of use.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Having both the Script and the Touch, I've been using the Script more and more for writing via zoombox in Goodnotes. For that kind of use not having the disc makes for a more natural feel and the offset isn't as problematic. The offset still makes it difficult to use for full screen writing or sketching though.

Good news is the battery is still going strong after more than a month of use.

I agree the jot script is working great for me with goodnotes. I was getting frustrated for a bit I thought there was a problem with mine as it would constantly stop working. I kept thinking the battery was dying, then I found you can see the battery status in the App. Come to find out I kept hitting the power button, not sure if it's sensitive or it's just the way I hold the stylus. Now that I know what my issue was it works great, and I almost never accidentally turn it off now.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
Thought I would post some thoughts after using this for a while

I teach English as a foreign language, and I use an iPad mini 2 as my main tool for pretty much everything. I grade essays using Goodreader (not to be confused with Goodnotes), and since getting the Script I've been doing it in landscape mode (which makes it dead on accurate without SDK support, unlike in portrait) using the Script. I use the zoom box feature, since that allows me to make very accurate hand written corrections and comments in between font size 12 lines in PDF files without having to zoom in. It might sound like using a zoom box with the Script means the Script is not that accurate, but when you combine the two, you get accuracy that you cannot match on paper. It's awesome to be able to make comments that accurate with handwriting, and it makes it so much easier to grade essays.

The Script has some issues, no doubt, but at the end of the day I think it's worth it - at least for me.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
That's cool, do you teach ESL in a foreign country? If so where? Does this require everyone to email you a PDF of their work or to also use the same app?

Thought I would post some thoughts after using this for a while

I teach English as a foreign language, and I use an iPad mini 2 as my main tool for pretty much everything. I grade essays using Goodreader (not to be confused with Goodnotes), and since getting the Script I've been doing it in landscape mode (which makes it dead on accurate without SDK support, unlike in portrait) using the Script. I use the zoom box feature, since that allows me to make very accurate hand written corrections and comments in between font size 12 lines in PDF files without having to zoom in. It might sound like using a zoom box with the Script means the Script is not that accurate, but when you combine the two, you get accuracy that you cannot match on paper. It's awesome to be able to make comments that accurate with handwriting, and it makes it so much easier to grade essays.

The Script has some issues, no doubt, but at the end of the day I think it's worth it - at least for me.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
That's cool, do you teach ESL in a foreign country? If so where? Does this require everyone to email you a PDF of their work or to also use the same app?

I teach EFL, not ESL, in Norway.

We have an online platform where everything is handed in. It lets me download a zip of all documents handed in for a specific task, and when unzipped that gives me a root folder with named sub folders for each student, with their hand-ins in those. After unzipping I simply search for a period (.) in the root folder and it will list all files in the subfolders. I select all, right click, and use a option from Nitro PDF to convert all documents into PDFs at once. This takes a minute and when it's done, each original subfolder contains a PDF version of the hand-in. I then put the entire root folder for the task in that class' folder in my Dropbox, and that's how it ends up in Goodreader. Then I just use hand written annotations + digital post-it note annotations to grade it, it gets synced back, and I upload the files back onto the learning platform along with the grades.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
That is awesome, we are really headed in the right direction of paperless.

I teach EFL, not ESL, in Norway.

We have an online platform where everything is handed in. It lets me download a zip of all documents handed in for a specific task, and when unzipped that gives me a root folder with named sub folders for each student, with their hand-ins in those. After unzipping I simply search for a period (.) in the root folder and it will list all files in the subfolders. I select all, right click, and use a option from Nitro PDF to convert all documents into PDFs at once. This takes a minute and when it's done, each original subfolder contains a PDF version of the hand-in. I then put the entire root folder for the task in that class' folder in my Dropbox, and that's how it ends up in Goodreader. Then I just use hand written annotations + digital post-it note annotations to grade it, it gets synced back, and I upload the files back onto the learning platform along with the grades.

fr0z3n

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
Absolutely love mine.

I use it for writing all my meeting notes and diagrams. LOVE IT!

The only thing I dont like is..my hand writing is even worst on this lol. I already had a bad handwriting; let's just it went from bad to worst, but who cares! i can still read it.

I am using GoodNotes.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Examples?

I find a tiny bit of lag in the Goodnotes zoom box as compared to my Jot Touch, but overall find it a little more natural to use when writing like that, and certainly better overall than any other stylus I've tried. This will be a great product when they get the offset problem solved, which should just be a simple matter of an improved calibration added to the sdk.

fr0z3n

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
What iPad case are you guys using for Jot?

I would like a case / cover that can hold the Jot. Any recommendations?

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013

fr0z3n

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
I am using the Solo padfolio, I found it for under $40 and zips up so I don't have to worry about losing the stylus.

http://solo.net/vintage-leather-padfolio-for-ipadr-mini-vta133?gclid=CPfL3rT4-7sCFWRk7Aodn0IA4g

I wanted the bookbook, but I couldn't find a deal on it.

http://twelvesouth.com/products/bookbook_ipadmini/

Thank you, looks nice, but too thick for my taste.

Ideally I would like something that just hands outside. Maybe I just have to wait for Adonit to release it :(

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
Thank you, looks nice, but too thick for my taste.

Ideally I would like something that just hands outside. Maybe I just have to wait for Adonit to release it :(

Yeah it's a little thick for my taste too, but I dropped my iPad from about 4 to 5 feet on hardwood floor the first week I owned it. Freaked out a bit and wanted a complete case. I think the bookbook is a little thinner, but I have a hard time justifying $70 for a piece of leather with a zipper.

pj-uk

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
London
Had mine for a little under a month and not entirely sold on it. I'm using Goodnotes v4 and yes the update fixes the offset but the vertical resolution seems poor when in portrait mode. I feel like I need to emphasise the vertical strokes more otherwise my handwriting looks a little flat. Also diagonal lines are horrible and nigh on impossible to draw - is this the API or the hardware!? Adonit CS is pretty bad and they're not responding to users on the forum.

I'm also disappointed at the noise the thing makes and I have had comments from colleagues about the tapping noise.

I've got about 7 days until my return period is up and will likely send it back until they fix all these problems.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Had mine for a little under a month and not entirely sold on it. I'm using Goodnotes v4 and yes the update fixes the offset but the vertical resolution seems poor when in portrait mode. I feel like I need to emphasise the vertical strokes more otherwise my handwriting looks a little flat. Also diagonal lines are horrible and nigh on impossible to draw - is this the API or the hardware!? Adonit CS is pretty bad and they're not responding to users on the forum.

I'm also disappointed at the noise the thing makes and I have had comments from colleagues about the tapping noise.

I've got about 7 days until my return period is up and will likely send it back until they fix all these problems.

As I've said, I'm pretty happy with mine in Goodnotes - it is entirely not accurate enough to use at full-page scale, but for zoomed use it is quite good. I'm surprised about the comments regarding noise. Sure, it makes some, but it seems to me quieter than even a fairly quiet keyboard.

Have you tried the Jot Touch? Are you using the Script paired or unpaired in Goodnotes? I find there to be less offset when not paired.

do the script makes scratches on the ipad.

marcip3

I have written a couple of hundred pages of text and haven't noticed any serious scratching. Certainly it's possible as you are subjecting the screen to much more use than it gets via touch, but as mentioned, these screens are hard.

Last edited:

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
I have written a couple of hundred pages of text and haven't noticed any serious scratching. Certainly it's possible as you are subjecting the screen to much more use than it gets via touch, but as mentioned, these screens are hard.

Right, and according the the evernote page, it's a Thermoplastic polymer resin tip. I am guessing a hard plastic, and it's smooth not sharp.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
You won't scratch glass with plastic and the tip is too small to carry much risk of having some particle stuck between it and the screen. It's quite amazing how many people have no clue how scratching actually works.

pj-uk

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
London
As I've said, I'm pretty happy with mine in Goodnotes - it is entirely not accurate enough to use at full-page scale, but for zoomed use it is quite good. I'm surprised about the comments regarding noise. Sure, it makes some, but it seems to me quieter than even a fairly quiet keyboard.

Have you tried the Jot Touch? Are you using the Script paired or unpaired in Goodnotes? I find there to be less offset when not paired.

Full-page accuracy is what it is touted to do (at least what they suggest from the adverts) and can only be corrected by software, which is a pretty poor alternative. As for noise it's certainly louder than the jot touch and will likely stick with the touch until they sort out these problems.

I'm pairing with GoodNotes but would like cross system compatibility i.e. a hardware redesign to fix the offset.

I've never had scratches with it and only with the touch due to dust getting trapped between the writing disc and screen protector - I have a nice number 3 etched onto my screen protector :p

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
I just ordered this from Amazon. Looking forward to using it with NoteShelf.

I take a ton of notes and hopefully this will be a good alternative to the Note 10.1 I returned. The 2014 Note 10.1 was awesome for writing, kind of bad for everything else.

iPad continues to be the best tablet out there (I have the retina mini), but I think they are dropping the ball in refusing to add Wacom support.

Hopefully this stylus is better than all of the other fat crayons I've been forced to use with iPads in the past.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
Just got mine from Amazon. Was just using it in a meeting via Notability. Really impressed with how well it works as compared to my Jot Flip. So far so good. Talk to me in a week :)

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
So is the Penultimate app the only one that allows you to use the stylus while also having your hand laying on the screen? I'm a lefty and it would help me tremendously to be able to have the side on my hand while I'm writing, but I use Notability most of the time.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
So is the Penultimate app the only one that allows you to use the stylus while also having your hand laying on the screen? I'm a lefty and it would help me tremendously to be able to have the side on my hand while I'm writing, but I use Notability most of the time.

I think a few offer Jot Script connection. I'd do a Google search or check Adonit or Evernote's forums.

I'm a heavy Notability user and use the zoom view for notes. Haven't had an issue at all.

Haven't even tried Penultimate much yet. Never liked the app more than Notability.

----------

Anyone have a suggestion for a good pen case for this Jot Script? Adonit doesn't ship the pen with, nor does it sell, a case for the stylus :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.