Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
Anyone switched from a jot pro to a jot script? Is it better?

My jot pro broke down and now I'm looking if I should get a script instead.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Anyone switched from a jot pro to a jot script? Is it better?

My jot pro broke down and now I'm looking if I should get a script instead.

I don't have a Pro, but I have a Touch which uses pretty much the same technology.

What apps do you use and for what? Writing or drawing? Do you like to work full-screen or zoomed in? What did you like or not like about the Pro?

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I loved my Pro very much, but at the time I bought it that was their best model. Now just wondering if the script (or the touch) might be a better choice.

I use it mainly for sketching and sometimes for writing. It looks like the script and the touch are better in ignoring your hands while using the pen. That was one the only thing I disliked with the pro.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Yes, since both the Script and Touch are active bluetooth styli they can have better palm rejection IF the software you are using integrates Adonit's SDK. Otherwise it will work exactly like your Pro.

The Script is better for writing in a zoom box, but, in my opinion, is nowhere near accurate enough for writing much of anything at full-screen. The Touch is far more accurate and gives you pressure (again, if the app supports it).

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
Thanks! I think I'm going for the Touch instead, looks awesome :)

Things to know before you buy -

A lot of apps that support the touch 4 don't support palm rejection. If you look at the adonit page that lists apps there's a plus sign next to each one that you have to press to see more info about implementation.

I use procreate and I wanted a pressure sensitive stylus. Procreate has an active forum with a whole section with stylus discussions. I ended up with a wacom creative, but a lot of people use the touch 4 and are happy with it as long as they use the latest version.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
Too bad, I expected Paper to have implemented the SDK. I really don't want to use the way to thick Pencil :/ Maybe it's als time to switch apps.

Thanks for the heads up!

Since Paper is selling its own Bluetooth stylus they may not want to bother with supporting anyone else's.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Jot Script

Hey guys, I ordered one of these and it arrived today. First my experience for ordering.

I initially ordered through Adonit directly. As I was about to put my CC info in, I thought it might be cheaper on Amazon. So I stopped and went there. The price was the same at $75 but had free shipping at 5-8 business days; I'm not a Prime subscriber. Adonit was $75 plus $6 for the for the cheapest shipping. Anyway, after about an hour I ordered from Amazon, I got an email from Adonit. It basically said "we see you started an order and stopped, and you might still be on the fence. He's a code for 10% off." I was like sweet, let's try it. I order again through Adonit and use the code, and my price goes from $75 to $67.50. I get to checkout and see the next tier of shipping, 2 day, was $9 and went with that. So my final price was like a dollar more than Amazon and I would get it sooner. I immediately cancelled my Amazon order.

Now onto the Script. It feels really nice in my hands, as advertised. And I tried 3 apps with it: Penultimate, Paper by 53, and Noteshelf. With Penultimate, it didn't work really well, biggest gripes were the zoom box doesn't work really well, and it sometimes does not complete strokes. Meaning, if I try to write a "t" I usually get only one stroke, not both. Plus, to take full advantage of Penultimate, you have to sync it with an Evernote account. And the last time I did it and played around with it (about a year ago) I used up all upload limits as I only have the free account. So to take full advantage of it, you need Evernote and a paid sub for it.

I played around with Paper next and it works decent, though probably not as good as using their Pencil. But since I need more pure note taking then drawing, I moved on. Plus, I can't import PDF's for signing. I mainly tested Paper as a curiosity.

Noteshelf was the best of the 3 apps I played with. I can create my own notebooks with different covers and paper types. And I can easily import PDF's. I played around with writing and signing for a few hours so far, both using the zoom box and full screen. I found the zoom box works much better than full screen, and I have a larger variety of notebook covers and papers. As for holding, as others have said, it's far more accurate when held at 90 degrees versus a smaller angle, I tested it on graph paper to confirm.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the stylus. I haven't tried Goodnotes 4 yet but I will look into it.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Update: I bought GoodNotes 4. It does everything Noteshelf does but it just feels better. I still prefer the notebook covers from Noteshelf though, but that's nitpicking. I used the annotations to fill out and sign my local city tax forms, and it worked out really well.

This will be my app of choice for notes to go with my Jot Script.

edwinzam

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
Sydney, Australia
My Adonit Jot Script experience

I just bought an Adonit Jot Script today mainly for use with Good Notes 4.0.5.

1. I have been using an Adonit Jot Touch 4 for writing and drawing with GoodNotes for a few weeks and it is flawless. I am very happy with it. I intend to just use it for drawing my diagrams as its pressure sensitive capability gives me what I need for diferent line widths. I am learning to use ProCreate.

I just bought an Adonit Jot Script today. I intend to mainly for note-taking using GoodNotes 4.0.5 (script writing and drawing simple diagrams). I have completed the set-up with my GoodNotes who has now updated its Adonit SDK to recognize the Jot Script.

2. When I started writing, I cannot write anything in a notebook I just created or use highlighting in an existing notebook. However, GoodNotes responds correctly when the Jot Script presses any of the buttons. (By the way, I had exactly the same experience with Penultimate. But I resolved it by using a process of elimination:

a. I turned off pressure sensitivity - nothing happened so turned in back on and still have the same issues.

b. I turned off palm rejection and I was able to right and draw and highlight, but as I was writing, I made marks all over thr page as my palm or finger touches the screen - obviously palm rejection is inactivated. So I turned it back on and still had the same issues.

c. I then turned off Palm Rest and to my suprise, everything worked flawlessly with GoodNotes (did not try this with Penultimate), either when writing directly to the main screen or in the zoom area. Just to confirm, I turned on Palm rest again and was expecting the initial issue I was experiencing. Again, to my surprise, all is working flawlessly even when the Palm Rest is left on!!!

d. FOR PAM REJECTION TO WORK FLAWLESSLY, IPAD MULTIGESTURES MUST BE TURNED OFF, WNHICH IS A TURN OFF, ALTHOUGH A MINOR ONE.

I did notice that there is a few milli-seconds lag if I write directly to the main screen (for Palm Rest on and off), but perfect, if i write in zoom area. The lag sometimes bother me a little. this lag however disappeared after the initial test for some unknown reason. !

...AND NO SKIPPING AT ALL....which by the way I only experienced with my old Jot Pro. Neither my Jot touch 4 and Jot Script had skipping issues. Worth noting is that the Script automatically hibernates after being idle for a few minutes. My battery is still at 100% after 4 days of normal use.

ADONIT JOT SCRIPT IS A GREAT INVENTION. THE FINE STYLUS HELP ME IMPROVE MY PENMANSHIP!!!!

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2013
I just bought an Adonit Jot Script today mainly for use with Good Notes 4.0.5.

1. I have been using an Adonit Jot Touch 4 for writing and drawing with GoodNotes for a few weeks and it is flawless. I am very happy with it. I intend to just use it for drawing my diagrams as its pressure sensitive capability gives me what I need for diferent line widths. I am learning to use ProCreate.

I just bought an Adonit Jot Script today. I intend to mainly for note-taking using GoodNotes 4.0.5 (script writing and drawing simple diagrams). I have completed the set-up with my GoodNotes who has now updated its Adonit SDK to recognize the Jot Script.

2. When I started writing, I cannot write anything in a notebook I just created or use highlighting in an existing notebook. However, GoodNotes responds correctly when the Jot Script presses any of the buttons. (By the way, I had exactly the same experience with Penultimate. But I resolved it by using a process of elimination:

a. I turned off pressure sensitivity - nothing happened so turned in back on and still have the same issues.

b. I turned off palm rejection and I was able to right and draw and highlight, but as I was writing, I made marks all over thr page as my palm or finger touches the screen - obviously palm rejection is inactivated. So I turned it back on and still had the same issues.

c. I then turned off Palm Rest and to my suprise, everything worked flawlessly with GoodNotes (did not try this with Penultimate), either when writing directly to the main screen or in the zoom area. Just to confirm, I turned on Palm rest again and was expecting the initial issue I was experiencing. Again, to my surprise, all is working flawlessly even when the Palm Rest is left on!!!

d. FOR PAM REJECTION TO WORK FLAWLESSLY, IPAD MULTIGESTURES MUST BE TURNED OFF, WNHICH IS A TURN OFF, ALTHOUGH A MINOR ONE.

I did notice that there is a few milli-seconds lag if I write directly to the main screen (for Palm Rest on and off), but perfect, if i write in zoom area. The lag sometimes bother me a little. this lag however disappeared after the initial test for some unknown reason. !

...AND NO SKIPPING AT ALL....which by the way I only experienced with my old Jot Pro. Neither my Jot touch 4 and Jot Script had skipping issues. Worth noting is that the Script automatically hibernates after being idle for a few minutes. My battery is still at 100% after 4 days of normal use.

ADONIT JOT SCRIPT IS A GREAT INVENTION. THE FINE STYLUS HELP ME IMPROVE MY PENMANSHIP!!!!

So, you bought it "today," but claim that your battery is 100% after 4 days of normal use?

I think someone is full of $ |-| 1 +

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I ended up with both the Jot and 53's Pencil, I actually like the Pencil better even though it has an enormous tip. The batterylife is very good and it feels a lot nicer than the jot. :)

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I ended up with both the Jot and 53's Pencil, I actually like the Pencil better even though it has an enormous tip. The batterylife is very good and it feels a lot nicer than the jot. :)

It would be more helpful to other people if you could specify what programs you use your stylus with and for what use. ie. notes, writing, drawing, etc. :apple:

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
It would be more helpful to other people if you could specify what programs you use your stylus with and for what use. ie. notes, writing, drawing, etc. :apple:

See top of this page :) I use it most for drawing, went for the Pencil because I really like 53's Paper. I also use Penultimate.

ranjeetsodhi

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
The Adonit website recommends that we use Lithium batteries for the Jot Script.

Has anyone tried the eneloop XX aaa high capacity Ni-MH rechargeable batteries and found them to be successful with this stylus?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The Adonit website recommends that we use Lithium batteries for the Jot Script.

Has anyone tried the eneloop XX aaa high capacity Ni-MH rechargeable batteries and found them to be successful with this stylus?

I have been using the standard Eneloop batteries in my Jot Script for a couple of months with no problem. The standard ones are rated for significantly more cycles and last a couple of weeks so I wouldn't personally bother with the high-capacity model unless you already have them.

ranjeetsodhi

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
I have been using the standard Eneloop batteries in my Jot Script for a couple of months with no problem. The standard ones are rated for significantly more cycles and last a couple of weeks so I wouldn't personally bother with the high-capacity model unless you already have them.

Thanks. I had the regular eneloops and just ordered the new high capacity eneloops based on suggestions on the web for this stylus. Will report back on the success.

On a different topic, have you figured out a way to minimize the tapping/clicking noise with this stylus?

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
I've tried both Eneloops. In my case, the Jot Script seems to eat power fast. Any one else have this problem? I've since changed to Energizer Ultimate Lithiums.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Thanks. I had the regular eneloops and just ordered the new high capacity eneloops based on suggestions on the web for this stylus. Will report back on the success.

On a different topic, have you figured out a way to minimize the tapping/clicking noise with this stylus?

nope, cant imagine how you could!

----------

I've tried both Eneloops. In my case, the Jot Script seems to eat power fast. Any one else have this problem? I've since changed to Energizer Ultimate Lithiums.

are you sure it is turning off automatically after 3 minutes?

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I pre-ordered a Jot Script as soon as it was announced. I guess I was lucky enough for mine to even arrive earlier than most.

I've been jumping through all of the hoops - waiting for SDK's to get updated, apps to implement them, rotating my iPad from landscape to portrait, blah blah.

I think I'm giving up completely on the Script. I don't think anyone is truly at fault - if Adonit could make it better I believe they would. Same for Penultimate, Goodnotes, Noteshelf, etc. but I end up fighting the Script more than I enjoy it.

I'm tired of apps updating and losing my notes or in the case of the most recent Penultimate update (5.2?) the Script introduced so much lag that I can't even take notes.

Selling mine and going back to much cheaper and more reliable pen and paper.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
It should turn off automatically after 3 minutes of inactivity. (See the manual). If it's not I suspect that is why you are burning through batteries.

I've read the manual and have done it both ways. I was still having the issue. But not with the Energizers. Odd.

Have you tested all the Eneloops like me?

----------

It should turn off automatically after 3 minutes of inactivity. (See the manual). If it's not I suspect that is why you are burning through batteries.

Zoomnotes lets you check battery status via the app. When I was using Eneloops, it would drop to 80% immediately. Using Energizer, the battery has stayed at 100% for a few weeks now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.