2097F242-7EE9-4752-A78F-728C4523FF51.png

Is this as expected?

Last edited:
Reactions: jbachandouris

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
That first image isn’t supposed to happen. If you see something bad like that could you email me a screenshot and let me know what page you are on?

arn@normalkid.con

thanks
arn

ruslan120

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
That first image isn’t supposed to happen. If you see something bad like that could you email me a screenshot and let me know what page you are on?

arn@normalkid.con

thanks
arn
Sure! Haven't seen anymore today (haven't been using mobile). Square ads seem to be the culprit (wide ads seem to work just fine).

VineRider

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2018
0BE3A157-F68A-4339-9E94-13957446B029.png

- - Post merged: - -

It’s more than just Disney ads and I am seeing these huge square ads all in threads, not just as banners at the top of the page. Using safari on iOS

Northern Man

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
We do have an ad free tier for $25 https://forums.macrumors.com/account/upgrades

But we also try to avoid the more obnoxious ads, especially for logged in members.

arn
I think a bit more information or clarification would be helpful and appreciated by members. What do you mean by obnoxious ads? Large in size ads, subject matter which may bother some members, frequency of ads? We realise ads are something we cannot avoid on the no cost tier, but it seems that under your recently adopted new ad scheme, things are a bit unstable and inconsistent. What size of ads, location and frequency are we to expect?

Much appreciated.

Reactions: jbachandouris

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I think a bit more information or clarification would be helpful and appreciated by members. What do you mean by obnoxious ads? Large in size ads, subject matter which may bother some members, frequency of ads? We realise ads are something we cannot avoid on the no cost tier, but it seems that under your recently adopted new ad scheme, things are a bit unstable and inconsistent. What size of ads, location and frequency are we to expect?

Much appreciated.
Logged in users get what I would consider the “normal” ads. Banners and boxes which aren’t that big. 728x90 is the largest horizontal banner. I generally browse in this mode so I know what to expect and experience the site as logged in users do.

Logged out users can get large ads (970x250) and footer elements that are stuck to the bottom. We may experiment with other ad units so this experience may vary.

Subscribers get no banner ads at all.

There’s no difference in subject matter. If something is inappropriate or offensive, we will ask out ad network to remove them from rotation entirely. We switched out ad network at the new year so we are still working out the kinks of the new one.

arn

Northern Man

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
Logged in users get what I would consider the “normal” ads. Banners and boxes which aren’t that big. 728x90 is the largest horizontal banner. I generally browse in this mode so I know what to expect and experience the site as logged in users do.

Logged out users can get large ads (970x250) and footer elements that are stuck to the bottom. We may experiment with other ad units so this experience may vary.

Subscribers get no banner ads at all.

There’s no difference in subject matter. If something is inappropriate or offensive, we will ask out ad network to remove them from rotation entirely. We switched out ad network at the new year so we are still working out the kinks of the new one.

arn
Thanks for the prompt informative response.

VineRider

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2018
Not sure if you guys tweaked something on the ads or not, but they do seem better this afternoon. Also, I noticed that I am not getting nearly as many screen refreshes after leaving Safari on a page and going back after a period of time. Prior it was almost instantaneous that the page would refresh after leaving Safari and going back from another app.

Reactions: arn

Robotti

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
It seems very weird and unusable at the moment. I don’t come back very often anymore, because the whole site is a mess and looks like garbage. Plus, I have to tinker the cookie settings everytime I visit the front page, AND every time I visit the forums. I still try to use the forums, but it gets worse all the time with ads everywhere.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It seems very weird and unusable at the moment. I don’t come back very often anymore, because the whole site is a mess and looks like garbage. Plus, I have to tinker the cookie settings everytime I visit the front page, AND every time I visit the forums. I still try to use the forums, but it gets worse all the time with ads everywhere.
Can you send me a screenshot of what you think is a mess?

arn@normalkid.com

Ads haven’t changed much, certainly for logged in users.

arn