Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
here's my view, summed up in one word:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOooooOOO!

:( :( :( :(

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2005
Sounds to me like anouther good reason for add blocking software particularly on the firewall itself. I have allready implamented one on my ipcop firewall system :) and Im sure there are many other firewalls both software and hardware that allow you to do the same.

Ripcord

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2003
baleensavage said:
I would rather see ads in podcasts than see people go the Rush Limaugh route and have paid podcasts.

Wait, to know whether or not Rush Limbaugh's podcast is paid-only or not, it must mean that you've intentionally looked for his podcast. This makes no sense.

astral

macrumors member
May 9, 2005
They most likely wont do this. I'd like to be 100 percent sure Apple wouldn't tack on ads to podcasts, but then again, this is the company that will sell you a 3000 dollar computer and make you pay extra money to watch videos full screen.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
If I can hide it, sure. I need all the screen real estate I can get on my 12" PowerBook's screen. If it takes up screen space... I won't be happy.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
hcuar said:
It's a free service from Apple... If they want Ads to increase revenue and keep it otherwise "free"... let em. :rolleyes:

Wow, I have a huge problem with this. If the creators of the podcasters are placing the ads then I wouldn't mind it being in the albulm art section. But if Apple is placing the ads and getting all the money I have a HUGE problem with that. They would basically be Apple making money off the podcasters backs.

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
If their going to host our podcasts for free as well then it's fine,
But they have no reason to do this. the podcasts section of the itunes store is nothing more than a collection of web links we still have to find out own way of getting the podcast hosted uploaded and paid for etc. The Podcasts them selves are almost free advertising for apple as it gets people into the music store.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
astral said:
They most likely wont do this. I'd like to be 100 percent sure Apple wouldn't tack on ads to podcasts, but then again, this is the company that will sell you a 3000 dollar computer and make you pay extra money to watch videos full screen.
If you think you have to pay to watch videos in full screen then you deserve to be taken advantage of.

On topic, I really don't give a crap if Apple puts ads somewhere that could easily be hidden. If it's not shoved down my throat then go for it. I don't understand...why all the fracking drama? I feel like I'm in a locker room with a bunch of PMS'ing teenaged girls.

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
jadekitty24 said:
If you think you have to pay to watch videos in full screen then you deserve to be taken advantage of.

On topic, I really don't give a crap if Apple puts ads somewhere that could easily be hidden. If it's not shoved down my throat then go for it. I don't understand...why all the fracking drama? I feel like I'm in a locker room with a bunch of PMS'ing teenaged girls.

Read my post.

cdpilkington

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2006
balamw said:
Actually Ricky Gervais' first (free) podcast series included plenty of ads for TV programming, in particular the later episodes. How is this new?

B

Don't think I was very clear in my original post, I meant that I preferred this model to the paid-for one in the second series. I thought the ads were generally done quite well.
incidentally, do you know if the ads are still in the first series now, even though you have to pay for it?
Kudos to nagromme and everyone for their explanations of the article. makes sense when you put it like that. :)

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
lukevenk said:
If the power to place ads is in the podcasters hands then go for it, but if iTunes is going to hijack my show, place ads in it and profit from all of the hard work that I put into it, without my consent. Then I'll be ticked.

You're point is well-taken, but Apple is providing your podcast with a massive audience. If Apple wants to run ads in its music player that it developed, your only recourse is to pull your podcast from iTunes. Don't be so quick to bite the hand that feeds you.

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
TechnoLawyer said:
You're point is well-taken, but Apple is providing your podcast with a massive audience. If Apple wants to run ads in its music player that it developed, your only recourse is to pull your podcast from iTunes. Don't be so quick to bite the hand that feeds you.

No one here seems to understand how podcasting on the itunes music store works.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Will_reed said:
I think you misunderstood TechnoLawyer. The point is that if Apple wants to add a feature to the iTunes software that displays random ads every so often while you are listening to podcasts, they can. Of course there's nothing stopping you from using a different piece of software to get the content, but you would lose the integration of directory+jukebox+portable player that makes iTunes+iPod so appealing.

I think the only way this makes sense is if it follows a model like Google AdSense as was proposed in another thread, as a way of providing some way of paying the podcasters per listen. Just like AdSense has preserved the free internet a bit longer, something similar for podcasts might help keep content free.

B

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
balamw said:
I think you misunderstood TechnoLawyer. The point is that if Apple wants to add a feature to the iTunes software that displays random ads every so often while you are listening to podcasts, they can. Of course there's nothing stopping you from using a different piece of software to get the content, but you would lose the integration of directory+jukebox+portable player that makes iTunes+iPod so appealing.

I think the only way this makes sense is if it follows a model like Google AdSense as was proposed in another thread, as a way of providing some way of paying the podcasters per listen. Just like AdSense has preserved the free internet a bit longer, something similar for podcasts might help keep content free.

B

The only way this could have any benifit is if it gave the money to the back to the podcasters as oposed to apple just being greedy and having it there for the sole purpose of makin them selves a little extra cash. This Just sounds like a ridiculous rumour to me and from reading these posts you get the impression that people think apple hosts the podcasts them selves which is most definatly not the case.

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Assimilation into the PC world is futile. Your iLife is now under our control. This is why 2006 will be like 1984.

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
balamw said:
I think the only way this makes sense is if it follows a model like Google AdSense as was proposed in another thread,
After all, nobody abuses that system—no, not at all.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
booo no ads.. Apple is making enough money already... I dont want to see any ads anytime soon.

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
Will_reed said:

Yes, I do. While a user can always copy and paste a podcast feed into iTunes, most people don't know how to do that. The beauty of listing your podcast with iTunes is that "subscribing" becomes simple -- no need to understand RSS feeds. A podcaster upset about Apple showing ads can remove the podcast from Apple's directory, but doing so would be unwise in my opinion. Your podcast would no longer appear in iTunes searches and those who wanted to listen to your podcast in iTunes would have to understand what to do with your feed.

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
The podcast section of the itunes music store is pretty much just a directory of web links. You click on the subscribe button and itunes kindly places it in your playlist and chechs for updates now and then. Ok now apart from making itunes look a bit like a microsoft product how will this benifit anyone?
Is there a good reason for this? It's not like podcasters are losin revanue they never planned on makin money in the first place remember?
Anyone who supports this is either nuts, doesn't know what their talkin about or both.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Will_reed said:
Is there a good reason for this? It's not like podcasters are losin revanue they never planned on makin money in the first place remember?
Anyone who supports this is either nuts, doesn't know what their talkin about or both.
Bandwidth still costs money, so typically a popular podcast will end up costing the podcaster more money than one no one listens to.

Micropayments from ad revenue provide some kind of mechanism to reward the producers of popular podcasts and offset the costs of hosting and producing the content.

Many of the professional podcasts I listen to already include spoken ads, and the last few episodes of the Ricky Gervais show sported both spoken and artwork ads. Then there's strict paid subscription like the second Ricky Gervais series or Rush Limbaugh or Air America. Ultimately what's better? I don't know and I'm not advocating any particular solution, but you can count on money getting involved when podcasts become popular enough.

B

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
balamw said:
Bandwidth still costs money, so typically a popular podcast will end up costing the podcaster more money than one no one listens to.

Micropayments from ad revenue provide some kind of mechanism to reward the producers of popular podcasts and offset the costs of hosting and producing the content.

Many of the professional podcasts I listen to already include spoken ads, and the last few episodes of the Ricky Gervais show sported both spoken and artwork ads. Then there's strict paid subscription like the second Ricky Gervais series or Rush Limbaugh or Air America. Ultimately what's better? I don't know and I'm not advocating any particular solution, but you can count on money getting involved when podcasts become popular enough.

B

yeah and the podcasters are sorting it out because the podcasters are the ones paying. so why should we have more ads shoved on top of that by apple. I mean think about it how would apple distribute all this advert money to the differnt podcasters. Somthing like this just couldn't work logicly unless apple started hosting all the podcasts and doing what those free space websites do

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Will_reed said:
yeah and the podcasters are sorting it out because the podcasters are the ones paying. so why should we have more ads shoved on top of that by apple.
This site makes use of ads "shoved" on there by doubleclick and Google, with arn's consent of course, but is not hosted by either of those companies, nor do each of the ads get approved individually.

Your point?

Where does it say that Apple will do anything without the podcaster's consent/involvement?

B

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
balamw said:
This site makes use of ads "shoved" on there by doubleclick and Google, with arn's consent of course, but is not hosted by either of those companies, nor do each of the ads get approved individually.

Your point?

Where does it say that Apple will do anything without the podcaster's consent/involvement?

B

So it's ok for apple to shamlessly make money by sticking ads in itunes. It just doesn't sound like very apple like behaviour to me.

OldTimey

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
:( while not too thrilled about this news either...i can live with ads in iTunes for podcasts...but get nervous thinking about all the new graphical capabilities of the 5G iPod and what that might mean for "advertising in my pocket". Ads on my iPod??? I'd toss the thing so quickly. Next thing you know...ads in iChat, a dedicated ad drawer in Safari...

Apple hooks you to their software/hardware, by "thinking different" and then it turns iout they are no better than Msoft or AOL.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.