Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
isn't this the creepiest thing you've ever heard of?
facebook, myspace etc ARE FOR KIDS
i just got a friend request on facebook from my 30 year old brother. :eek: :confused:
the sad part is he has no idea how creepy/gross/rediculous/pathetic he looks with facebook page at the age of 30. he also has a myspace and a friendster....LAME
whenever i see someone older than 24 on a site like that, i think "dont they have something better to do with their time?" and the answer is this case is certainly no.
i am 19 yo at college studying computer science. he is 30 years old living on our mom's couch and facebooking and myspacing :confused::confused:
what i hate is that facebook used to be strictly limited to college students. now anyone with an email can join. lame.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
I think you're out of touch with reality. There are plenty of adults on social networking sites. (well, ok, not on myspace -- but can you blame us? ew)

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I don't quite see the problem with older people on facebook. In some cases, people could still have their facebook from when they were in college and have since graduated. Plus it seems like facebook caters to an older audience than myspace does.

Adults on myspace is completely different, and weird.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I know a number of "adults" on social networking sites because it provides an easy way for them to keep in touch w/people and vice-versa. Of course they don't spend ridiculous amounts of time on their trolling for "friends" and pimping out their site.

Welcome to the latest aspect of rebellious youth to get assimilated by "the man" and rolled into mainstream society.

Lethal

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
i just got a friend request on facebook from my 30 year old brother. :eek: :confused:
the sad part is he has no idea how creepy/gross/rediculous/pathetic he looks with facebook page at the age of 30. he also has a myspace and a friendster....LAME
whenever i see someone older than 24 on a site like that, i think "dont they have something better to do with their time?" and the answer is this case is certainly no.
i am 19 yo at college studying computer science. he is 30 years old living on our mom's couch and facebooking and myspacing :confused::confused:
what i hate is that facebook used to be strictly limited to college students. now anyone with an email can join. lame.

I've never used myspace so shouldn't comment, but facebook is certainly for anyone. I think you are being a bit harsh on your brother. Facebook you can limit to just your friends, so what is the problem with that?

You sound pretty 'rediculous' thinking you are a 'kid' at 19...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
WOW @ the OP.
While it may be charming where you come from to degrade your family on a public forum think about this for a second. You are degrading your own family member in a public forum! I mean how creepy is that? You're a 19 year old college student studying computer science and you're trolling forums discussing your would-be dysfunctional brother!

I am 30. I don't sleep on a couch fwiw so I hope I can at least somehow earn the respect of an over-entitled teenager. :rolleyes: I have a myspace account where the majority of the people that are my friends (aside from arn who I've never spoken to) are family members, cousins mostly, who I try to keep in touch with. A couple of high school friends and some random dude who I don't know. Oh and Tom. I opened the account to access music from unsigned bands. I'm not really trying to excuse myself, I happen to ok with having a myspace account. I also have a facebook account that I really don't use. Regardless of the amount of time I do and do not spend on them they're not just for kids and you my friend at 19 aren't exactly a child. If you were to be called a kid you would certainly become defensive.

Give your brother a chance. I mean you're a hot shot at school at 19 years old studying computer science and he is 30 sleeping on your mom's couch. Why not share your experiences with him and perhaps give him some insight into college. Maybe he'll get up and do something, maybe you can make a difference in his life.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So adults don't have or require social networks?

You're 19, and potentially a unversity graduate later on. Grow up and act a bit smarter, please. After that, I might.....MIGHT....let you be my friend on Facebook.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Hmm... you are in computer science, wouldn't this trend at least interests you? I know I am.

I myself have a facebook account as well, although I don't visit it everyday, it helps me keep in contact with some of my friends.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
So adults don't have or require social networks?

You're 19, and potentially a unversity graduate later on. Grow up and act a bit smarter, please. After that, I might.....MIGHT....let you be my friend on Facebook.

Quoted for truth. Facebook certainly seems like the more mature of the social networking sites.

It is a means to keep in contact with your friends and family. Much like forums are a means to discuss things with the wider world. Maybe you are the one with problems if you consider a form of communication between friends as being 'wrong'.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I'm 23, I have a Facebook profile, all of my friends have FaceBook profiles, and some of my professors have Facebook profiles. What exactly is it about social networking sites that makes them exclusive to kids? You ought to think before you make claims. Also, one of the things you'll learn about growing up is while certain things about your life change as you get older, people are pretty much people, and people of different ages are a lot more alike than you'd think.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
LOL. Anyone else here reminded of when 10 year olds turn their nose up at stuff because it's only for "little kids" :D

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Um, facebook is actually aimed at adults. I heard the chairman of the company has one and he's in his 70s! In fact I'm very careful with that site (I'm 25 btw) because it's very easy for colleagues to track you down. Can't be getting fired for photos of drunk and disorderly behaviour ;)

Any of the sites are ok between adults. Though obviously if there's a 25+ year old person sat on Bebo making lots of 13 year old friends then that's rather creepy.

PS. 19 is technically an adult too :p

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Facebook...

If something becomes popular it will grow beyond the high school to young adult market, especially as those young adult age. And rope in the older crowds.

It isn't like it was started by Disney and marketed to children.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
To say that a social networking site is aimed for kids is like going back 16 years and saying email is how kids communicate, and written letters and the postal system is how adults are supposed to communicate.

See? Even a 19 year old's mentality can be brutally out of date and out of touch with modern times. ;)

Catch up.

PS: I'm 27 years old, and am a Grad Student. Am I allowed on Facebook because I'm a student, or am I too old because I'm 27?? After I graduate, am I obligated to give up account??

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States

Actually, I personally find it odd and a bit ridiculous that anyone visits those sites.

Think about it...

First, we have people who find themselves so overly important that they must share every detail of their life with perfect strangers on a page that anyone can go view.

For some reason, they think we should all know what they look like, where they went today (down to the most intimate details of where they went to the bathroom and what the exact color of the deposit was), and then we need to know about every word they said that day and to whom, and then what their buddies all did, and then who went partying where and how drunk they got and here's pictures of some fool I hang out with passed out, and then some girl I like but haven't gotten the nerve to tell her, and so on and so on...

Then, even worse is that other people spend their whole day following the daily postings and ramblings of these self-important people that they don't even know. They become addicted to following their every word like some low-budget reality show. Hey, I don't know them. But, I'm addicted... Must get to their myspace page and see what they did. It's been like 5 minutes since their last update, I must know if they went to the bathroom again...

Come on people. The whole social networking thing has just gone too far.

Kids, go meet a girl in person. Go spend time with your friends in person. Go somewhere, do something. Don't just sit around posting in a blog. Actually live life. Experience something. Who cares what some fool following your daily blog thinks. You'll never meet them. Go out and do something cool and fun with your friends.

Now, if people would chill out, and just use the pages for sharing important updates with family / relatives that are a distance away, then that's one thing. Sure, post some pictures of your new baby. Post some stories about milestone events. But, put a password on it, and just give it to family and perhaps a few close friends who might have a reason to care. For that purpose, sure, people of all ages should use it.

But, this whole minute by minute diary that has every minor detail about your underwear and what color the polka-dots are, and oh here's a picture of them... That's just ridiculous. No one is so important that we can't go a minute without knowing whether they let a roaring ripper, or an hour without knowing if they changed their outfit again, or a day without knowing whether they do or don't like their crush today (depending on their mood and how they interpreted it when said crush didn't notice them - even though they have never gotten the nerve to speak to them), or a week without knowing about their tragedy of I wore a pink top and my friend showed-up wearing pink pants and we were stuck at home because we couldn't be seen together like that...

Come on. Let's get back to interacting with real people, in real life, at real places, doing real things. Sure, you're a big shot in your own mind in cyber-space. But, go out in the real world and have some real fun despite being just another kid.

That said, if you aren't some self-important person, social networking sites are for all ages. If you are some self-important person, then social networking sites are only for you until you grow up and realize that no-one really cares if you had one hair sticking up while you were in gym class.

So, as for creepy, let's just say it's less creepy to have a guy in his 30's posting a page that is private and linked with a password to share pictures of his kids with their grandparents who are out of state or in another country.

I find it much more troubling when it is used by some pre-teen, tween or immature teen to tell the world that he got a pimple on his rear, that she is totally devastated that someone had the nerve to tell her that she wasn't really all that and to get a life, and that his life was ruined by his math teacher who caught him cheating and gave him an F (boo hoo), and what she wrote in the note she passed in social studies to her girlfriend who just happened to have put on too much make-up and wore the wrong colors after labor day, and so on.

So, that said, I would find it more appropriate for a mature adult to use a social networking site to share milestone events with distant relatives than for you teens to be using it to tell the world what color underwear you are wearing and what you were thinking every minute of the last 24-hours.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
My cousin, who worked in the music industry had a Myspace page despite being in his late 20s. It seemed like it was almost a requirement for him to have one. Mostly it was used as sort of an online resume as far as I could tell.

Of course you gripe about the social networking sites here of all places... where a bunch of us spend way too much time posting crap, some personal, all the time when we should probably be out enjoying real life...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.