iPad Advice: is the iPad Air 2 Realy That Bad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Traverse, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Traverse, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014

Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Can I get some advice from people who have been on this forum longer than me?

I was strongly considering getting the iPad Air 2, it seemed like a great device. However, there are so many threads and posts about issues:

Excessive vibrations
    Screen distortion from holding on the right side
    Bad screen quality (backlighting, hue, etc)
    Excessively smudgy screen
    Bad battery life
    And on and on....

I don't want to dismiss anyone's claims: I'm sure many are perfectly valid, but in a week's time this forum has ripped this iPad to shreds and made me afraid to get one. What do you think? I realize this forum is made up of people who usually more technical knowledge than the average user so maybe their standards are unrealistic? My iPad 3 physical build was amazing. Aside from the weight, it felt durable and sturdily. I am now afraid of the Air 2. Do these kinds of complaints always happen, or does the Air 2 genuine have design issues?

:(

2. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

It's fine. There's always a 2 week return policy if you change your mind. But the speed alone is worth it.

3. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Its an incredible device, I may have distortion issue, not sure if its widespread or not. You want one, give it a shot.

4. aibo macrumors 6502

The concerns here are overblown. I got my Air 2 Wednesday and haven't seen any of the things you mentioned, except for the vibration which isn't even a problem. I watched YouTube videos for a couple hours before bed last night while holding the iPad and paid no attention to vibration at all.

5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

What about the color distortion from the antiglare film or screen discomcokoration from picking it up on the right side? These are two complaints I read today.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you let others' complaints dictate your decision, how will you ever get anything for yourself?

Go get one, open it up, look at it. Does it look okay to you? Then your iPad is fine and you shouldn't have any problems. If not, then return it and get your money back.

I have had the iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad Air and now the iPad Air 2. All of them had complaints about issues from people on this forum, but I never experienced any of the issues. Yet if I had paid attention to the people on here, I would've assumed (wrongly) that ALL iPads are bad, and never would've gotten one.

By the way: I'm seeing no distortion on my iPad Air 2 screen. Nor does my screen do anything out of the ordinary when I pick it up from any side, including the right side.

The complaints are always going to be the loudest on here, because that's what people come here to do. That does not mean though, that everyone will have a negative experience.

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

The screen can distort in a specific spot if you press the back in a specific spot. This might bother you if you A.) hold the iPad in a very specific way, or B.) if you go looking for it.

The speakers are loud and do reverberate.

Fingerprints show up a little more noticeably.

The battery needs slightly more frequent charging than the previous model.

You might get a screen with some color shifting and/or a shadow down the left edge. You might also get a beautifully even screen.

These things might bother you. Only you can decide if they do, and only after buying one to see.

But what will definitely NOT bother you is that this is absolutely the best iPad Apple has met yet. It is hands down one of, if not the, fastest and smoothest tablets ever made. The screen is crisp and punchy. The UI is quick and responsive, as is the wifi (except for a couple of iOS 8 glitches). The hardware is light, and thin, and a pure pleasure to use.

The iPad Air 2 is what tablet computing is meant to be. No iPad before it has been this close to idealized.

8. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

9. flur macrumors 68000

This is me also, except mine showed up tonight. Screen is great, vibration is a non-issue.

I was paranoid after reading the forums that I'd get a bum device. So not the case at all. I don't doubt that some folks are having issues with their screens, but that doesn't mean you will. Keep in mind that people with issues are much more likely to post on the internet, and happy folks are off being happy with their devices.

Reading this forum, you'd think when you play music the darn thing vibrates off the table. I was amazed at how little vibration I felt, both on the screen and on the back, because these forums made me expect so much more. My hands didn't go numb, as some folks claimed - in fact, I don't see the big deal at all.

Lots of folks here are looking for problems, and if you look hard enough for anything, you'll find it.

10. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

I'm a complainer, for the first time ever. I wouldn't worry about it at all. You want one, buy it, if you don't like it, return it. Its in incredible device and I have no doubt my one issue will be resolved.

11. aibo macrumors 6502

I've tried and I can't reproduce those.

12. flur macrumors 68000

Here's the color distortion I see with mine - if I tilt it at an absurd angle that I'd never use naturally, greys get a blue tint to them. Yeah, it's probably from the anti-glare coating. But, since I don't use my iPad while holding it an absurd angle that's almost perpendicular to my face, why should I care?

13. cababah macrumors 68000

Keep in mind the majority of people that post about their devices here is usually related to a problem. Very few people make threads about everything being just dandy with their new iDevice.

Using Macrumors forums to make an assessment about the overall quality of a product is inaccurate to say the least. Occasionally, the extremely long threads/stickys could point to a widespread issue to be wary of but in general, take everything with a grain of salt.

If you spent all your time in the iPhone section, you probably wouldn't want to buy an iPhone 6/6+ either...or a MacBook, or an iMac, etc.

14. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

I felt I had to login to comment...

Excessive vibrations - Vibrations Yes, excessive - No - really not an issue!
    Screen distortion from holding on the right side - None at all, nada!
    Bad screen quality (backlighting, hue, etc) - None at all, nada!
    Excessively smudgy screen - Smudgy, expected, excessive No!
    Bad battery life - None at all, nada!
    And on and on.... - None at all, nada!

Best iPad ever bought, and trust me I have bought nearly everyone released since iPad 1.

Question for you, to help matters....

If Apple, or indeed you, got 100 or 1 million people in a room, and ask them what do you think of this - e.g.: a Car, Washing Machine, House...etc

You will never get everyone to agree!

Some people come on Macrumors to to complain and whinge.

It's like a giant medical clinic, major walk ins, all with problems, or perceived problems.

Personally, i'm sick and tired of people moaning and whining about stuff - especially if it's minor, or a perceived issue.

You also got to remember, EVERYONE has different expectations.

If and when you do decide to get one, you have the option to return it no questions asked with Apple - within 14 days.

You can even go into a Apple Store and play with it for hours!

Good luck.

15. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

This is the reason I stay out of these forums right after a new device comes out. People intentionally go looking for problems until they've talked themselves into seeing (or hearing) something that isn't there.

16. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

How's that workin' out for ya? :rolleyes:

17. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

Only those with problems complain, rarely do those without them speak up.cthat being said the only real issue is the device vibrating but really, not a big deal

18. Danilo - Italy macrumors regular

You can buy an used iPad 4, in my opinion the best iPad ever made. It is more fast than your 3 and you can save money too.

19. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

iPad Air 2 is really extremely fast. Tried the vibration issue in an Apple Store today and found that it's okay for me since this is the first iPad with a speaker that produces some bass.

20. Closingracer macrumors 68020

1: I don't mind it as much and my 2nd unit doesn't do it as much but it may vary by unit ? My wifi model did it but exchanged for a cellular model and I notice it does it less

2: what distortion?

3: once again what ? Typical Apple product and luck of the draw. It's been like that for a while

4: they all are smudgy since the beginning

5: battery life has been the same for me as the air

Just buy one yourselves and experience it yourself . Of you don't like it you can always return it

21. pmau macrumors 65816

I think it is amazing ... it is really extremely fast.

The idea to unbox it and then take 60 minutes to look for defects is strange to me. I use it and if I find something, I just hope they build a better one next time.

Which I do not, right now.
    The only thing I have to say is that I start to think it's a luxury item.

Its capabilities are way beyond its usefulness.
    You can read mail and watch movies on tablets that are way less expensive.

But ... I really like it ... it's just not using its potential.

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, it's an awful, horrendous, poorly engineered, big bag of hurt, block of Chinese junk.

Seriously, don't get taken in so easily by the persistent online naysayers - the human analogue to a DOS attack. As long as I've been scanning MR these types have been around with their hyper negative comments, none of which ever matches reality. Go back to the archives for the original iPod, any iPhone, any iPad. Terrible things are said, yet, they all kept growing in popularity (the iPod was essential obsoleted by the iPhone) because none of the "issues" were a big deal to normal, happy, productive people.

The Air 2 is a great bump from the Air. I'm typing this on one now. It's not perfect - few things in life are. But the negative comments noted at the top of this thread are grossly exaggerated unless one is hypersensitive and a perfectionist par excellence. Do not let them alone dissuade you. Try for yourself & enjoy.

23. scupking macrumors 6502a

Screen on mine is perfect and the best tablet screen I have ever seen.

screen does not distort no matter how I hold it.

It does not seem to smudge any more then any other screen.

Battery life seems better then all the other iPads i have had (iPad 3, mini, rmini). I didn't even do a full charge and I'm on day 2 of what I call more then normal use for me. Seems like I have been in this thing all the time and I'm still at 20 %. That's with over 3 hours of face time included.

Only issue for me is the sound vibration. Other then that it's great. After using a mini for 2 years I do wish the size was a little smaller. I think a 8.9" tablet would be perfect!

24. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

A good summary of all complaints, as well as the devices improvements. I haven't seen any color shifting on my Air 2, or any other screen problems. It does reverberate or resonate a bit more than the Air 1. That's not an issue for me, but you might feel differently.

I have a plastic screen protector on, and fingerprints were tough to eliminate with a bare screen. I suppose it's the anti-glare coating. The display no longer looks like it's under glass, and the gap between digitizer and display is gone. I will not miss it.

Complaining is very common here. :D I scrutinize all of my purchases, and look for flaws in everything. I returned several Air 1 tablets last year because of the screen. My Air 2 is a peach. My wife said she didn't need to upgrade, but after using my Air 2 form5 minutes, she had me order another for her (she has an Air 1). She picked up her Air 2 at an Apple Store on her way to a convention yesterday, and that device will receive the usual scrutiny when she comes home tonight: color shifts, dead pixels, scratches, bends, etc. I don't enjoy going through that routine, but expect it will pass. That was not the case last year, and I tore through Walmart's Air inventory trying to find two Air tablets with decent screens (much more lenient and quicker return process than Best Buy).

25. Apple TarHeel macrumors member

This ....

Smart and wise post ... Agreed