Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

binh514

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Plan A !

make yourself happy with a new laptop..! enjoying the unboxing and give her your old one and put a laser engraving on it to make it special. Both will be happy ! :p

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
Here the best advise anyone here can give you. Take that 1000-2000 you are going to spend on her and invest the money for yourself. Keep adding a couple of bucks every chance you get and by the time you hit 50 you'll have a very nice stack of cash.

So you're *dating* and it's your one year dating anniversary (how 10th grade-ish first of all) and you're getting her a laptop? Try dinner and flowers bud. Good night - it's no wonder everybody is in debt in this country.

Which leads to a second point: is there a good reason there are people in these forums who seem to need to make the point that they have a girlfriend? It's comical how many times I read posts that say "my g/f has this laptop" or "my g/f and I..." or "i'm getting my g/f this (insert Apple product)..." ...said in such a way that the poster wants us to know he has a g/f. Pure observation - maybe I'm alone but it's funny because it's often shared by someone and it's COMPLETELY irrelevant to whatever topic is being discussed.

"Mac OSX security update released..."

(poster): "I just did the update on my girlfriend's laptop and now my UMB has firewire"

or some random quote like that and we needed to know it was your girlfriend's laptop -- why?

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
So you're *dating* and it's your one year dating anniversary (how 10th grade-ish first of all) and you're getting her a laptop? Try dinner and flowers bud. Good night - it's no wonder everybody is in debt in this country.

Which leads to a second point: is there a good reason there are people in these forums who seem to need to make the point that they have a girlfriend? It's comical how many times I read posts that say "my g/f has this laptop" or "my g/f and I..." or "i'm getting my g/f this (insert Apple product)..." ...said in such a way that the poster wants us to know he has a g/f. Pure observation - maybe I'm alone but it's funny because it's often shared by someone and it's COMPLETELY irrelevant to whatever topic is being discussed.

"Mac OSX security update released..."

(poster): "I just did the update on my girlfriend's laptop and now my UMB has firewire"

or some random quote like that and we needed to know it was your girlfriend's laptop -- why?

i think its "comical" that you care so much

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
Well said, but hey at least he came down from his "better then everyone else" throne long enough to share is words of wisdom with us peons :D

Well at first I wasn't going to come down from my throne, but then my g/f said I should.

steamed.hams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Hey everybody. I'd like to thank all of your for your input. I'll summarize and answer some of the questions that keep popping up.

1. A $1000+ gift for someone you're "dating?" Are you crazy?

I know what some of you guys are thinking. It must seem like this whipped.hams character is some love-struck child who'll drop money at the beck and call of his girlfriend. I can only insist that this is not the case.

I may totally change my mind and decide that flowers and a necklace is the way to go. Hell, maybe I'll treat her to a movie + McDonald's drive thru again (see: 2/14/09). And if I do decide to gift her with a laptop, then great! That means I'll have two laptops to play with around the house!

I should have mentioned that this gift will cover Xmas '08, Anniversary '09, and Xmas '09.

2. So what happens when you give her a laptop and then she breaks up with you??

What would happen if you marry someone, have kids with them, and then the marriage fails?

What would happen if you bought a nice new car/instrument/computer, and you broke it or somebody stole it?

I wouldn't be able to go through life wondering "what would happen."

Anyways, if she gets a new comp and we break up, then that's ok. Life goes on, and in one year this little gift won't mean anything to me, my heart or my bank account.

3. So what's your decision?

I'll likely choose a base model unibody MB and go with alphaod's suggestion with the laser engraving (great idea, I totally forgot about that).

I'll be traveling a fair amount this summer, and moving across the country, so I'm going to hold off on the purchase until a month or two after this little anniversary celebration.

Thank you all for helping me to solve the original question. Please continue posting in this thread if you have something to say and it makes you happy and/or please continue trolling if it makes you feel better ;)

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
Hey everybody. I'd like to thank all of your for your input. I'll summarize and answer some of the questions that keep popping up.

1. A $1000+ gift for someone you're "dating?" Are you crazy?

I know what some of you guys are thinking. It must seem like this whipped.hams character is some love-struck child who'll drop money at the beck and call of his girlfriend. I can only insist that this is not the case.

I may totally change my mind and decide that flowers and a necklace is the way to go. Hell, maybe I'll treat her to a movie + McDonald's drive thru again (see: 2/14/09). And if I do decide to gift her with a laptop, then great! That means I'll have two laptops to play with around the house!

I should have mentioned that this gift will cover Xmas '08, Anniversary '09, and Xmas '09.

2. So what happens when you give her a laptop and then she breaks up with you??

What would happen if you marry someone, have kids with them, and then the marriage fails?

What would happen if you bought a nice new car/instrument/computer, and you broke it or somebody stole it?

I wouldn't be able to go through life wondering "what would happen."

Anyways, if she gets a new comp and we break up, then that's ok. Life goes on, and in one year this little gift won't mean anything to me, my heart or my bank account.

3. So what's your decision?

I'll likely choose a base model unibody MB and go with alphaod's suggestion with the laser engraving (great idea, I totally forgot about that).

I'll be traveling a fair amount this summer, and moving across the country, so I'm going to hold off on the purchase until a month or two after this little anniversary celebration.

Thank you all for helping me to solve the original question. Please continue posting in this thread if you have something to say and it makes you happy and/or please continue trolling if it makes you feel better ;)

good luck man

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I know you've made your decision, but I feel a couple of questions needed to have been asked:

1. How much cash do you have?

2. Exactly how hot is this girlfriend?

3. A second the post about having it custom engraved with her name and yours on it. Genius!

sehnsucht77

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
3. A second the post about having it custom engraved with her name and yours on it.

good call. if she does bolt, the next dude is going to have to wonder - Who the heck is Bob? And why is his name and yours on the laptop?

Excellent strategy ftw.

SecondDealer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
She'll be happy with any option. if you go the route of getting the Unibody PRO, you'll both have pretty good laptops already.

sorry i just can't say No to a Pro

Agreed, If you can go big, why not? What says true love like brushed aluminum and 4 gb RAM? Nothing, not even roses. Seriously though try to add a personal touch such as setting the desktop background with a picture of her favorite celebrity or downloading some of her favorite music to the HD just so she knows how much thought and effort you put in to making her happy.

IrishSniper87

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
Agreed, If you can go big, why not? What says true love like ... 4 gb RAM? Nothing, not even roses. Seriously though try to add a personal touch such as setting the desktop background with a picture of her favorite celebrity or downloading some of her favorite music to the HD just so she knows how much thought and effort you put in to making her happy.

This is the definition of win. I laughed so hard I almost cried.

My geek best friend would LOVE this.

He sent me this poem on Valentines.

roses are #FF0000
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you

:D

binh514

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
I know you've made your decision, but I feel a couple of questions needed to have been asked:

3. A second the post about having it custom engraved with her name and yours on it. Genius!

LOL ... " How hot is your girlfriend?" loll idk i just find this funny

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
as far as the Laser engraving is concerned make sure you also say who it is from. that way if she does take off on you she will always be reminded that it was you who gave her the beautiful computer she is using.;)

There is that a good compromise all you ppl who think its dumb to give a girl you've been dating for a year an expensive gift.:rolleyes:

steamed.hams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Miami, FL

1. I've got exactly $10.01 in my wallet

2. On a scale of 9 to 10, she's a 10.

3. That's why alphaod gets big bucks for his big ideas.

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
good call. if she does bolt, the next dude is going to have to wonder - Who the heck is Bob? And why is his name and yours on the laptop?

Excellent strategy ftw.

Wait, wait, wait...

Let me take this one step further and say he should just engrave his name on it, surrounded by a heart. This way, if she leaves him, he can say she stole his laptop.

chuckcalo

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Ahem, when it comes to girls looks aren't everything. Go ahead, date Jenna Jameson for a year and give her a $2000 laptop; watch as she moves out your place and your money going down the drain.

The OP surely loves his girlfriend, despite she being hot or not it doesn't really matter; girlfriends don't have a price, you can buy her a house, a car, anything and if you love her you will think that is just not enough. There some people here that need to think outside the box, no wonder there so many of you single now. If he wants to spend $1,500 on her let him but I'm going to say this for everyone: SHE BETTER MAKE IT WORTH IT.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
i dont think you should give gifts and expect anything in return. i know what you are saying but also like you said he is giving her this gift because he loves her. and he should want to give it. he shouldnt be giving it to make her feel obligated to stay with him or so that she gives him something equivalent in return.

*beating a dead horse*:p

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Get her the new one. Sure, you may be slightly envious (who wouldn't :D ), but honestly it's the least selfish route. Yeah, it may have been her idea to accept the hand-me-down, but go the extra mile and surprise her.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.