AeroBrowser - stunning new browser for OS X!

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
Ok, some of you might have seen older versions of this app and you'll realise how much it's changed.

I'm working on making a consistant browser to fit in with Tiger. It has a few features that Safari does not, e.g. Page Zooming, URL View, Fullscreen mode, visual page editing, plus a menu option to "copy url" of the current page.

It has loads more features too, and I am still working on it. Oh yes, it passes ACID2 as well - as it uses the latest cvs WebKit from Safari. Plus it's pretty darned fast ;)

Universal binary - runs on PPC or Intel.

http://grabberslasher.no-ip.com/flare/

I just want to see what reactions are to this app before I offer a public download, plus I will need a few alpha testers.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
yep thats the one lol - looks nice and sleek but is it quick ? give us a download and we might be able to take it through it's paces

:cool:

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
liketom said:
yep thats the one lol - looks nice and sleek but is it quick ? give us a download and we might be able to take it through it's paces

:cool:
It uses core features in Tiger so it won't run on Panther. Unless you have ADC then there's no point in me providing a download :eek:

Reports from my few testers say it's pretty Snappy™ at the moment, but that might be because Tiger is so much faster anyway. Window resizing beats Safari ;)

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
LeeTom said:
Does it use webkit or mozilla for rendering?
It uses WebKit.

Originally I was planning to have a switchable engine - you can switch from WebKit to Gecko in the preferences, but when I found out the hoops I'd have to jump through to implement that (download mozilla, loads of extras, edit config files, compile, rework favourites/history/etc ... ) I sorta gave up :p

Anyway, with WebKit it supports Private Browsing and a load of Tiger features, like page editing, etc.

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
liketom said:
so how does it compare with other browsers? also is this a freeware app ?
Freeware - totally open source :) Although source will only be released after Tiger comes out, for obvious API NDA reasons, e.g. I use things like CoreImage in AeroBrowser.

How does it compare? It has features other browsers do not, but of course it does lack features available in Safari (like tabbed browsing (*gasp*)). I have tried to make it as visually appeasing as possible and also quite functional, and it does me for day to day browsing.

'Course it can block PopUps too, etc.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Looks nice. Are you going to let us try it when Tiger is out? Freeware? Shareware? BTW isn't Aero the name of the GUI in Longhorn? something to do with Avalon (I forget exactly)

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
stoid said:
Looks very nice. Is that page zoom based on the vectored (resolution independent) interface stuff that Tiger is supposed to have available?
No, standard Cocoa stuff. It's what Apple are using to do the resolution independant stuff. But it's not vectored - all bitmaps. Vectors will come in 10.5.

@previous poster RE name

AeroBrowser was originally a browser using the Longhorn UI. I've moved on ;) The name will probably change too.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
grabberslasher said:
No, standard Cocoa stuff. It's what Apple are using to do the resolution independant stuff. But it's not vectored - all bitmaps. Vectors will come in 10.5.
Oh,thats no problem, just use PDF files instead of bitmaps and you'll be all ready, thats basically what I am doing...

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
Fukui said:
Oh,thats no problem, just use PDF files instead of bitmaps and you'll be all ready, thats basically what I am doing...
I meant the webView scaling, and the fact that Tiger itself has bitmap buttons/controls.

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
daveway00 said:
Well, I won't use any browser that doesn't support tabbed browsing. It's a must, so please build it in. ;)
;)

I implemented tabbed browsing once, but I just need to implement it in such a way that is nice...

Will be having to make my own tab view :(

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
This looks pretty nice. I know you are trying to visually fit it in with tiger, and I think it will do just that, but I would like to see a couple more visual "punches" that set it apart from other browsers.

Maybe add or find a way to integrate some unique visual touches to the interface somewhere (aside from the star-buttons of course).

Oh, and also I agree with the poster who said about not using a browser without tabs. Another avenue on that front would be to use a drawer in the way that Omniweb Browser does. ...Just a suggestion.