Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oarx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
OKC
My set up is still saying "Cannot complete Update" "There are no available HomePod updates" even though every single thing I own is now updated

Reactions: brauntj

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Was pretty easy. Updated all the HomePods to 16.2 first, then went into Home Settings > Software Update and it was right there.

Reactions: Morgenland

oarx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
OKC
hmmm... wonder what I'm missing...

ok, I figured out what may be my issue, when I go to my account and check every device, one of my home pods is still showing to be 16.0, but when I go through HomeKit to that HomePod, it shows its updated to 16.2... it seems like that device has not been updated under my Apple ID to show the correct software number yet

I restarted it but it did not update, not sure how to force that HomePod to refresh under my devices

Last edited:

oarx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
OKC
In case anyone runs into similar issues... I reset the HomePod mini and added it back, now im getting a new error:
Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 2.41.08 PM.png

balupton

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2013
I'm guessing that the update option is only visible to home owners and not home admins? Can anyone confirm?

Jaffa

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
I figured out what may be my issue, when I go to my account and check every device, one of my home pods is still showing to be 16.0, but when I go through HomeKit to that HomePod, it shows its updated to 16.2
This isn’t it. All my devices show up to date and I don’t have the option to update my home to the new architecture

Reactions: haruhiko

squirrelist

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I had the same problem with it refusing to update even though I had HomePod 6.2 installed on each device. I had to remove all HomePods, then I could update to the new architecture, then I was able to add my HomePods back again.

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
I have the same problem.

Everything in the house is updated (all Apple TVs and HomePod minis) and then I still get the error that it can’t upgrade HomeKit until I update my HomePods.

I have screenshots that I would share with Apple but I can’t find anywhere for HomeKit support and the HomePod support wants me to call or visit a tech bar.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
I had no issues. Updated all devices to 16.2 (two OG HomePods, two Minis, one TV4K, and one TV) then went to Home Settings > Software Update and there was a temporary card at the top to update architecture. It did seem to take a long time for the HomePods to update, fwiw.

Reactions: Morgenland

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
No problems in upgrading to the new architecture with a stereo set of HomePods

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
I've tried from a Mac, iPhone, and an iPad... same result
Might try tomorrow, or sign out of iCloud from all devices-> reset iPhone -> then try and after that sign in to other devices

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I'm having the same issue. Everything is updated.

I had the same problem with it refusing to update even though I had HomePod 6.2 installed on each device. I had to remove all HomePods, then I could update to the new architecture, then I was able to add my HomePods back again.
This seems like an extreme solution. I have nine HomePods with automations tied to them. Removing and re-adding would take forever.

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
I found what I think is *my* problem anyway, and it’s kinda weird but - it worked.

As always, YMMV

I have a second home that was also set up in HomeKit, all that home had was Hue lights.

I had already removed it from my Home app - it didn’t show in the app itself.

However in the “Home settings” the other house still showed up - even though it was not selectable in the app itself.

So I removed the other house from Home Settings and then I was able to do the upgrade.

Also - I had found this earlier, it didn’t seem to fix the problem but I’ll mention it here - I also had a really old AppleTV showing up on my iCloud, but we don’t use it anymore. It’s literally in a box in the closet. But iCloud showed it as on OS 15.4.1 and associated with my account. I removed it from my account. That didn’t fix the problem - but who knows.

Ultimately it sounds like two things:

The “upgrade” is *really* picky.

The error messages erroneously say HomePod updates needed when maybe it’s not actually the HomePod that needs an update.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I found what I think is *my* problem anyway, and it’s kinda weird but - it worked.

As always, YMMV

I have a second home that was also set up in HomeKit, all that home had was Hue lights.

However in the “Home settings” the other house still showed up - even though it was not selectable in the app itself.

So I removed the other house from Home Settings and then I was able to do the upgrade.

Also - I had found this earlier, it didn’t seem to fix the problem but I’ll mention it here - I also had a really old AppleTV showing up on my iCloud, but we don’t use it anymore. It’s literally in a box in the closet. But iCloud showed it as on OS 15.4.1 and associated with my account. I removed it from my account. That didn’t fix the problem - but who knows.

The error messages erroneously say HomePod updates needed when maybe it’s not actually the HomePod that needs an update.
This was it! I have an app that creates a blank new home every time I open it. Once I deleted it, I was able to upgrade. Hooray for people on the internet! Thanks!

oarx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
OKC

As always, YMMV

ah! this seems to have allowed me to update. I deleted other “homes” that didn’t have anything in them, once i had just my main home showing, i was able to upgrade

Thank you!!

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Same problem. Removed all my homepods. Ran the architecture update. Reinstalled the homepods (stereo pair OGs and one mini), and it all works fine now. Seems like a lot of fuss. This new architecture better be able to fry eggs.

Reactions: chabig and aacealo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.