Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
I prefer tiered storage for devices. A one size fits all approach creates wasteful expenditure for someone that doesn't need that much storage. Personally Apple Pro models base storage should be at 256GB. No need to offer a 128GB if the phone is considered "Pro".

In your case if everyone is happy with spending $1600 for a 1TB iPhone rather than $1100 for a 128GB you will have a majority of upset customers asking why Apple is charging $1600 for an iPhone. That's my perspective.
Kind of hard to argue that giving everyone getting bigger storage capacity isn’t less wasteful imho. You would be more future proofed and less devices would need to be upgraded. Not saying it makes business sense when you milk people for more money on pricing tiers through the roof (+$350aud for the 512gb iPhone over the 256GB for example) but yeah if your talking pure wastage..

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Fine. But Pros should start at 256GB. Requiring 256GB for 4k30 Pro Res and selling a 128GB model is not a Pro move, but a dick move.

Reactions: _Spinn_ and Denzo

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
So, I would like to know… increasing storage for higher quality video makes sense, but I do believe the iPhone will become portless someday not too far down the road.

how are these wireless transfer rates going to work with a phone that has 2tb of storage? Yikes. Unless Apple has a solution for that.

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I see that, on 6 pages of comments, just one (1) reader has complained about the poor quality of QLC NAND. I honestly see this with concern, because after several years of usage, when the memory starts to wear and needs to be replaced, I doubt Apple will replace you the SSD on the iPhone. The iPhone will just be “slower” forcing the customers to buy a new one.

I suspect the jump to 128GB of base storage this year comes from a change on the NAND, using cheaper and slower NAND (on some tests, this year’s iPhone SSD is actually slower), which could have worse lifespan.

For those of us who don’t upgrade our smartphone every year, or every other year, this is bad news. QLC NAND is worse in every aspect than TLC, which is actually worse than MLC. But it is cheaper, and Apple has more margin to earn money. Good luck using your $1000+ iPhone for more than 5 years.

Reactions: 5105973

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
2TB is not happening next year, iPhone 15 at the earliest, this rumor is wrong and other sources have confirmed it

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
The average user may well buy 2T iPhone when (1) the price does not scare them and (2) they will be able to sandbox a section of that memory to use as a secondary backup of their MacBook Pros. Sounds stupid, but an early iPod I had allowed transfer of my PowerBook's data to use as storage. Actually worked well.

The biggest changes are driven by lower costs and Tbs will be no different.

MaxLeopold

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2020
If the Lightning Port will be come USB-C compatible and allow for 10Gbit minimum Transfer Speed - so you can transfer large Files across OR plug a USB3 / USB4 or even Thunderbolt Mobile HardDrive, then 1TB and more make Sense, particularly if somebody want to use the (Video-) Camera a lot...

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Apple won’t go to hole punch next year. After 5G and no notch there will literally be no reason to upgrade anymore and they know it. Sales will slow down like Samsung. Lick of paint here or there, fad or two here, nothing that’ll cause upgrade frenzy till 6G.

It’s the icamera. Next year we’ll hear so much about megapixels and pixel binning we’ll be sick of it. 48mp. 8k recording. The a16 bionic chip will be amazing as it effortlessly reduces 48mp to a 12mp size for low light pics.

Those thinking they got the perfect iPhone this year will wet their pants thinking about 48mp pics and 8k recording (videos of course won’t be viewable natively for years on anything apple sells besides the 8k iMac).

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
We’re already in the iPhone 15 Pro Max, and we still don’t have 2TB.
I don't think Apple will ever go above 1 TB local storage for the iPhone Pro Max models due to heat issues, unless Apple completely redo the internal cooling for the SoC to something like what Samsung did with the vapor chamber cooling system on the higher-end Galaxy S23 models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.