After market iphone 5 charging cables NO GOOD!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by k24eg22, Sep 27, 2012.

1. k24eg22 macrumors newbie

Recieved an email from a supplier on ebay selling these usb charging cables for iphone 5 for 11.99. Stay away from all aftermarket charging cables! He stated in his email that they are burning out all charging ports on the iphone5 due to having the incorrect smart chip... All cables need to be purchased threw apple... So becareful what you buy aftermarket wise!

2. k24eg22 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. basesloaded190, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Edited for lack of coffee and being rude. My bad.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Thanks for the update. The recent news about how these cables are put together this look likely but it's good to have even more evidence.

5. k24eg22 thread starter macrumors newbie

giving a heads up smart guy :confused:

6. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Sorry for being a smartass, but I imagine that this cable took apple months or years to develop, so i can only think that it's going to take someone selling them cheap on eBay a long time to get it right.

7. NoOneHitsHarder macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up OP.

I wonder if 3rd party accessory manufacturers will eventually figure out the right chip to use so you don't have burn outs.

Seems like Apple finally found a way to lock out 3rd party knockoffs so people have to buy premium from them.

8. kalexn macrumors 6502

I am surprised (in a good way) the seller issued you a refund and said that. I am sure a lot of sellers would have just said, "not my problem." I will definitely be sticking to Apple only :) Until at least it has been out longer and there are no longer any issues.

9. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Pretty sure OP was just warning the masses bro, relax.

10. Beezzy macrumors 6502

Thanks for looking out. Idk why people are being rude to you about this. You're just trying to help others. People are always looking for the cheapest accessories but if its a new style product (ie Game systems or phone chargers) I tend to by the official accessories then after a few months I'll get stuff from Best Buy or Target. Tend to stay away from online electronic accessories anyways. You never know with them, and after a while they made identical counterfeits.

11. k24eg22 thread starter macrumors newbie

np bro... just trying to save some headaches. ive heard thers some damaged iphone 5s because of this. i would have been pissed if my charging port burned out but its cool i purchased 2 from apple last week and there comming in next week so i can wait! my phone battery life sucks so i need a charger for work home car ect lol

12. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

This was completely uncalled for. The OP was just issuing a public service announcement and you were rude to him for it. That was not cool. :(

13. celo48 macrumors 6502a

THANK YOU! This is a very important warning. I would have purchased few after market as I have with other iPhones and have been using with no problems. I guess Apple wants to make sure they are the only one who sells the cable, at least for a while.

14. solo118 macrumors 65816

Thanks for the heads up!

Is this the same with the 30pin to Lightning adapters? If yes I will cancel my order on ebay

15. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

+1

16. Beezzy macrumors 6502

Yeah I just ordered some thru the Apple Store App on my phone and the store about 20 min away from me has them in stock and ordered 2 of them last night. And they've been out since launch so I did the in store pick up. Also got me the new LeCie 1TB Thunderbolt external drive, damn impulse buying! :p

17. celo48 macrumors 6502a

You know when I see comments like this, it just pisses me off! Sorry!

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

For anyone who doesn't know, the chip in question dynamically reassigns the pins so that its reversible. Without it when flipped over power is being delivered to the wrong part of the connector and it burns out the port in the phone.

19. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I ordered 3 lightning/30-pin adapters from a place on Amazon. I've now just mailed them to query this.

20. chele519 macrumors regular

What about the USB chargers that go into a cigarette lighter? Someone mentioned those in another thread. Are they safe?

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I thought officially licensed accessories say "Made for iPhone" on the packaging. I would imagine to get this accessories have to have the correct chip.

22. iceman027 macrumors member

buying a knockoff cable to save $7 on an accessory for your $200-$400 new phone? Some of you kids don't deserve nice things...

23. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. That's what a forum is for.

24. NoOneHitsHarder macrumors member

Why would you call someone a kid? Seems disrespectful to put down people who aren't hurting anyone and simply trying to save money (even if they made a mistake).