After using iOS 12 for a couple of hours, I'm already bored. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by Goldfrapp, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Goldfrapp, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018

Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I don't know how else to excite myself....

I already want the next thing.

I remember when I got iPhone X on launch day, 2 days later, I was already bored.

Is that a millennial thing?

Things don't seem to excite me for longer than 48 hours, in some cases, 10 minutes....

2. Devyn89 macrumors regular

Devyn89

It’s a piece of software, it’s not gonna change your life.

3. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

An iOS release isn't going to 'wow' anyone for long.

What it will do is add lots of nifty quality of life features that, periodically, will make you go 'ah, cool'.

4. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

Only boring people are bored. Just saying... And it's just an OS. I don't recall anyone jumping out of their chair for any versions prior.

5. Devyn89 macrumors regular

Devyn89

Also, I actually think this is a pretty neat release all things considered. Especially because it’s free. Honestly, group notifications alone make it worth it. I’m into the idea of shortcuts and the screen time app looks interesting, I don’t known how much i’ll Use it, but it’s cool to have.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It's not Apple's job to keep you entertained. Once you realize that salient fact, your perspective lens is not as blurry.

7. MarioPhone96 macrumors member

MarioPhone96

Well... iOS 12 doesn’t change much. And to be honest, I’m so happy it’s not. iOS 11 for me has been terrible ever since it was released.

8. Ortiz83 macrumors 6502

Feel sorry for your partner.

9. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Pretty sad if you need a phone to keep you entertained.

10. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Not gonna lie; I got bored half way through your OP.
    Also, don’t expect OS releases to blow your mind. It never has and never will. Technology in general progresses fast but not at a rate where you’ll be in awe longer than 13.7 minutes.

11. 3:16 macrumors regular

3:16

iOS 12 is only focused for older devices. I’m downloading on my 6S hope it’s speedy than iOS 9

12. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Remember that one era back when updates every year wasn't guaranteed or even expected, and you could go a few years without seeing a new OS? And you'd just roll happily on with Snow Leopard, loving it, not complaining that no dramatic change had happened? When you start expecting updates every single year, you also need to tone down your expectations of what they can contain.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2018 ---

It's probably slower than 9, but certainly faster than 11 on my iPad Air. But it's a Developer Beta 1. Don't get your hopes up for anything yet.

13. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I don’t think it’s the purpose of iOS updates is to entertain you.

14. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

What's with everybody??

I'm not seeking entertainment

Being excited and being entertained are two different things

There's nothing wrong with expecting a new iOS to excite you

15. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Expecting or hoping?

16. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Some hope, others expect

It's still about being excited

17. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Some might still be in that mode if it's new for them or they are really really into it, but things have gotten to the point where this kind of stuff is part of basically regular everyday life, and many approach it in that manner.

18. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

What would excite you then? I'm not saying you can't be excited, but I personally do find it exciting to have an update focused on stability, performance and quality of life improvements.
    As I said, with a release schedule that dictates an update every year, it's not as feasible as it once was to have updates with more than 300 cool and big new features or anything.

19. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

You can’t please everyone. Apple polled millions of iOS users. And overwhelmingly they said top on their list wasn’t an iOS refresh, it wasn’t dark mode. But the ability to customize their own Animoji. You got that. And ppl still are complaining. Sometimes I think we don’t deserve the genius that Tim Cook is...

20. FeliApple macrumors 65816

FeliApple

I might be misunderstanding you, but if you have iOS 9 on a 6s, I wouldn't update... I don't think it will be faster than iOS 9. I hope, mainly for the 5s users's sake, that it actually delivers on its promise to improve performance.

21. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

22. macbookguy macrumors regular

macbookguy

Apple checked off most of my gripe list with iOS 12. I’m good with this years release.

23. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

iOS is an operating system; a framework for other apps to run on.

It's not supposed to be exciting. It's supposed to run issue free, and make your life easier.

Maybe you should get out of the beta program. You obviously don't know what you're doing here.

24. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

It’s going to be a long time until we again get the iPhone OS 2 or 3 feeling again when things were changing so quickly and the App Store was taking off. Closest I’ve felt was when they made big changes to iPad’s iOS last year, which was still small by comparison to the early days. We’ll have to wait until chips are small enough and battery efficient enough and powerful enough to provide 4-8K AR in regular looking glasses with a whole new type of OS before we get that excited again. For now, this is a good update and I am happy enough.

25. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I share your sentiment.