After Waiting Nearly 15 Months, Is a Simple Spec Bump for iPhone 5 Reasonable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whocaresit, Jun 16, 2011.

1. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Will you be satisfied with a simple processor upgrade in iPhone 5 after waiting nearly 15 months*?

*iPhone 5 is rumored to be launched in September music event.

2. flipster macrumors 6502a

3. reactions macrumors 6502

reactions

4. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I was concerned the next model would be pushed back due to the Verizon iPhone launch... Now I'm just hoping that the additional time and the fact that we see Apple really trying to get their phone back in front with software fixes, I hope to see Apple do more than upgrade the camera and processor in the next edition. I don't think that would be a smart move. I think we may see a new trend this year from Apple.

$50 - 3GS
    $100 - iPhone 4
    $200+ - iPhone 5 with a bigger screen.

That pricing structure would do really well for them in a market competition to Android and the wide range of phones and prices. I know you'll think that I'm crazy but just ask some people working at AT&T. I've been told the 3GS @ $50 is selling left and right. I doubt that Apple will delete it at the rate it's selling. Add to that, Apple even made it clear that iOS 5 was ready for the 3GS as well. This would also allow Apple to add the larger screen to the new iPhone and see if the bigger screen pulls in more sales reguardless of the price difference. That is after the feeding frenzy at the initial launch is over. :D Man I hope we get a 4" screen with the next model.

An additional note on the 3GS and screen size... I have heard so many people say "the only thing different is the camera." These are the words from men and women I work with in the hospital and it kills me that they think that. I get that they aren't techy people but do they not have eyes or even look at the new one? Does the Facetime camera just disappear when they look? They can't tell the screen res difference? LED flash? :rolleyes: I'll never understand blind purchases.

5. Dangerdog3000 macrumors member

Definitely not reasonable, but like someone said above me there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I don't think there has ever been a "single spec bump" on an iPhone before, so why are you making such a claim? :confused:

Apple always has something up it's sleeve, Steve's sleeve to be exact

7. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Seeing as how I'm still using my 3GS and I'm due for my upgrade in September, I'm hoping the rumors of a spec bump on the iP4 are wrong. I'd love to upgrade when the time comes, but not to the iPhone 4 or a spec-bumped version of it. And don't think I'm meaning anything bad about the 4...it's STILL an amazing piece of hardware and better than 99% of the phones out there today. I'm just not sure I'd be satisfied using my upgrade on nearly year-and-a-half old tech (minus the "spec bumps").

Then again, I'm still completely satisfied with my jailbroken 3GS. So I may just hang on until next year and see what Apple has up their sleeve for the next "all new" iPhone (if that rumor turns out to be true...lol).

8. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Um...3G-->3GS ring any bells???

9. Pink∆Floyd, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

You obviously don't know what you're talking about, so I'll enlighten you a bit

Also, read this article More than a "single spec bump"

Still seems like a "single spec bump"?

Attached Files:

10. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I suppose voice activation / dialing is minor
    As is video recording capabilities
    As well as a major speed bump.

Really for the iPhone 2G to the 3G was minor. All we got was a different look and gps.

11. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

iPhone 4 - Black - 8GB - $99

iPhone *5* - Black or White - 16GB - $199

iPhone *5* - Black or White - 64GB - $299.

That's what I would like to see. ;)

12. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

You also got 3G connectivity.

That makes no sense. If anything, it would be iP4 16 GB and iP5 32 GB and 64 GB.

13. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I don't know... 16gb and 32gb seems to still be pretty large in comparison to what's out there.

Bumps and changes will be all over the phone. But the screen seems to be the big question mark right now. The masses are screaming for a bigger screen and I'm willing to bet Apple will answer.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Actually, yes.
    The main reason I'm not getting an iPhone 4 now is because its already lagging a bit with the animations and that would just bug me on a new device.

15. Fissure macrumors 6502

That was before the 900lb Gorilla entered the room, Android.
    Apple's got to do more now. I've been with my 3GS two years now.
    I'm hoping for an entirely new design but I'll go with whatever comes
    either way.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

They are making slightly more than 50% of the profits in the mobile industry. They don't give a **** about Android or marketshare when the amount they have is so profitable.

17. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

A processor upgrade, with a expanded RAM as well as other "minor" improvements in camera, etc, would be enough for me.

I'm planning on annual upgrades at this point. I can easily sell my old phone for at least as much as the subsidized cost of a new one, so it seems like a no brainer.

18. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Do more how? What does the iPhone need?

Processor upgrade...yeah think we will see this

Larger screen....depends on how bad it hits the battery. I personally like the size of the screen now.

Camera.....well I'm sure they can improve it but it is pretty good now

Storage.....Yeah we could see some higher amounts.

What else we looking for?

19. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

I personally don't think Apple will bump the storage on the iPhone, especially with the introduction of iCloud. But in the event Apple did, it wouldn't make much sense to a)keep the iPhone 4 around but lower the storage and b)have strange gap like 16 GB and 64 GB.

Yeah they definitely don't care about Android. That's why the WWDC keynote was full of cheap shots at Google.

20. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

With all their business revolving around Steve, Apples in for a rude awakening when he retires. Fanboys will have no one to worship, no one to tell them how its going to be. What will become of Apple is anyone's guess. It doesn't look promising.

21. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

I hope you're right :D

22. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

23. ali9686 macrumors member

ali9686

I think I will hold on to my ip4.

Will be waiting for AT&T to have a reliable 4g network with a 4g compliant iPhone in my area.

Let's see what happens this fall.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Depends if you are talking about "4G" or 4G. "4G" would be AT&T's BS'd version which is actually HSPA+ (in other words, a slightly enhanced HSPA [3G] network). That's probably what we will see the next round of iPhones. As for the real 4G, that won't come for a while, especially considering that AT&T has not even deployed that LTE network out there.

In real world usage, I wouldn't expect much from "4G" - HSPA+ just yet.

25. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yes because reasonable will be defined by Apple based on MANY criteria that we will never be aware of.