Aftermarket screen. Warranty issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by antdawe, Jan 5, 2014.

1. antdawe macrumors regular

I got a iphone 5c. The screen cracked after about a week so I went to local shop who fixed it for £50.

However, now the iphone battery is dying after 1-2 hours. Firstly is my warranty voided?

Secondly will the genius technician know that it's an aftermarket screen?

Thanks

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yes, and yes.

It'll be classes as beyond repair, so unless you catch them on a good day, they won't even offer you a paid service. And I'm 99% sure they'll be able to tell.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't know why anyone would jeopardize an entire year's warranty by having a third party repair something. If it broke just one week into ownership, one can easily use Amex's purchase protection and have Apple replace the screen free of charge and still have the warranty intact (assuming you're smart enough to purchase all big ticket items on Amex).

4. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

5. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Did you even speak to Apple when you broke the screen? They may have even replaced it for free in the first place, as happened with my gf's 5 which had a cracked screen. With a third party screen the chances are that you'll be out of luck! Maybe go back to the "repair" shop and explain that they've messed something up, and they need to fix it, although if they've damaged it before whilst replacing the screen asking them to repair it again may be beyond their obvious (lack of) skills...

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What makes you think that replacing a screen led to the battery dying after 1-2 hours? Would you conclude the same for a stuck sleep/wake button, malfunctioning camera or anything else unrelated that can go wrong under the warranty period?

7. antdawe thread starter macrumors regular

I never said that they were releated.

I agree it was a silly thing to do. However, I did insist upon keeping the original cracked screen. It's gonna have to go back in and back to the shop. Either way it's a mistake I will have to live with. Thanks all for your advice.

Tit of the month award goes to me.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That was smart. You should be good to go as long as there's no sign of the original repair.

9. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Are you handy with a screwdriver? I would put the original cracked screen back on. And to be honest, if the LCD they put in was close to OEM, and their work was good and they didn't leave any trace of modification, you can probably get away with it. Ask me how I know.

10. 617aircav Suspended

They will know the phone has been opened. I bet you didn't have a case on the phone when the screen cracked. Just sell the phone and buy a new one.

11. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

How will they know? Please enlighten me.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Most of the time they replace the original pentalope screws with Phillips head screws. That's why I said there can't be any evidence of the original repair, meaning they have to put the original screws back in and hope they're not stripped, etc. Otherwise, they'll find out after the fact once they open it up for refurbishing.

13. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

I have never seen any competent technician replace the screws with philips heads without a specific request from a customer. Anyone who is worth their salt with iPhones can easily deal with the pentalobe. Apple uses good quality screws, it would take a monkey to strip them.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We have a few threads on stripped pentalope screws, which contradict this.

15. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

If you know what you're doing, and have the proper tools, you really shouldn't strip the pentalobe screws. Most of the time people are using the garbage that the chinese kits come with and those screw drivers are just that-- garbage.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, there's even an incident where a Genius managed to strip Apple's own screws so it most certainly doesn't take a monkey to strip them.

17. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

I'lll tell ya, Apple's geniuses are probably closer to monkeys than you think.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Voided? Yes.

Will the Genius know? No. Geniuses barely perform any actual work on your iPhone. They mostly diagnose it and then pass it off to a technician on the storage area of the store.

That Technician might figure it out and if he does, will point it out in subsequent forms.

19. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

Technically your warranty is void. Although apple geniuses are not paying attention to the screen and will only check the water sensors. So if you go in you should be able to get a new one. Just don't mention you replaced the screen.

20. antdawe thread starter macrumors regular

They didn't notice. Replaced the phone.

I certainly won't be that silly again though.

21. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

22. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Nice.

23. 617aircav Suspended

So now the phone will be passed on to another customer. Good job mate.

24. mobutt macrumors 6502

I remember when I had an after market screen on my ipad 2. Ended up dropping and cracking it again but this time the ipad had dents as well so I decided to take it to the apple store. They didn't notice it was an aftermarket screen.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

False. It'll be refurbished with a brand new case, screen and battery before that happens, meaning the aftermarket screen (if the OP didn't bother to change out) will be gone.