Aftermarket screen. Warranty issue

antdawe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
I got a iphone 5c. The screen cracked after about a week so I went to local shop who fixed it for £50.

However, now the iphone battery is dying after 1-2 hours. Firstly is my warranty voided?

Secondly will the genius technician know that it's an aftermarket screen?

Thanks

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I got a iphone 5c. The screen cracked after about a week so I went to local shop who fixed it for £50.

However, now the iphone battery is dying after 1-2 hours. Firstly is my warranty voided?

Thanks
Yes, and yes.

It'll be classes as beyond repair, so unless you catch them on a good day, they won't even offer you a paid service. And I'm 99% sure they'll be able to tell.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I don't know why anyone would jeopardize an entire year's warranty by having a third party repair something. If it broke just one week into ownership, one can easily use Amex's purchase protection and have Apple replace the screen free of charge and still have the warranty intact (assuming you're smart enough to purchase all big ticket items on Amex).

oVerboost

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Did you even speak to Apple when you broke the screen? They may have even replaced it for free in the first place, as happened with my gf's 5 which had a cracked screen. With a third party screen the chances are that you'll be out of luck! Maybe go back to the "repair" shop and explain that they've messed something up, and they need to fix it, although if they've damaged it before whilst replacing the screen asking them to repair it again may be beyond their obvious (lack of) skills...

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Maybe go back to the "repair" shop and explain that they've messed something up, and they need to fix it, although if they've damaged it before whilst replacing the screen asking them to repair it again may be beyond their obvious (lack of) skills...
What makes you think that replacing a screen led to the battery dying after 1-2 hours? Would you conclude the same for a stuck sleep/wake button, malfunctioning camera or anything else unrelated that can go wrong under the warranty period?

antdawe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
I never said that they were releated.

I agree it was a silly thing to do. However, I did insist upon keeping the original cracked screen. It's gonna have to go back in and back to the shop. Either way it's a mistake I will have to live with. Thanks all for your advice.

Tit of the month award goes to me.

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
I never said that they were releated.

I agree it was a silly thing to do. However, I did insist upon keeping the original cracked screen. It's gonna have to go back in and back to the shop. Either way it's a mistake I will have to live with. Thanks all for your advice.

Tit of the month award goes to me.
Are you handy with a screwdriver? I would put the original cracked screen back on. And to be honest, if the LCD they put in was close to OEM, and their work was good and they didn't leave any trace of modification, you can probably get away with it. Ask me how I know.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
They will know the phone has been opened. I bet you didn't have a case on the phone when the screen cracked. Just sell the phone and buy a new one.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
How will they know? Please enlighten me.
Most of the time they replace the original pentalope screws with Phillips head screws. That's why I said there can't be any evidence of the original repair, meaning they have to put the original screws back in and hope they're not stripped, etc. Otherwise, they'll find out after the fact once they open it up for refurbishing.

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
Most of the time they replace the original pentalope screws with Phillips head screws. That's why I said there can't be any evidence of the original repair, meaning they have to put the original screws back in and hope they're not stripped, etc. Otherwise, they'll find out after the fact once they open it up for refurbishing.
I have never seen any competent technician replace the screws with philips heads without a specific request from a customer. Anyone who is worth their salt with iPhones can easily deal with the pentalobe. Apple uses good quality screws, it would take a monkey to strip them.

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
We have a few threads on stripped pentalope screws, which contradict this.
If you know what you're doing, and have the proper tools, you really shouldn't strip the pentalobe screws. Most of the time people are using the garbage that the chinese kits come with and those screw drivers are just that-- garbage.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
If you know what you're doing, and have the proper tools, you really shouldn't strip the pentalobe screws. Most of the time people are using the garbage that the chinese kits come with and those screw drivers are just that-- garbage.
Well, there's even an incident where a Genius managed to strip Apple's own screws so it most certainly doesn't take a monkey to strip them.

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
[...]
Firstly is my warranty voided?

Thanks
Voided? Yes.

Will the Genius know? No. Geniuses barely perform any actual work on your iPhone. They mostly diagnose it and then pass it off to a technician on the storage area of the store.

That Technician might figure it out and if he does, will point it out in subsequent forms.

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
California

Thanks
Technically your warranty is void. Although apple geniuses are not paying attention to the screen and will only check the water sensors. So if you go in you should be able to get a new one. Just don't mention you replaced the screen.

antdawe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
They didn't notice. Replaced the phone.

I certainly won't be that silly again though.

mobutt

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
I remember when I had an after market screen on my ipad 2. Ended up dropping and cracking it again but this time the ipad had dents as well so I decided to take it to the apple store. They didn't notice it was an aftermarket screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.