Air 2 received Bluetooth 4.2 upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iamMacPerson, Sep 9, 2015.

1. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

2. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

I noticed this, hope it is not the only 9.7' FOR A WHOLE year...

3. iamMacPerson thread starter macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Probably will be honestly. I don't see the A9X making it's way down until the A-DoubleX is announced.

4. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

I may not bother with the Pro, "Who wants a Stylus?" and all. I would prefer the 3d touch in next years (maybe)

5. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I was about to post this, if this is true.... it looks like no other spec upgrades for the Air 2 are in the cards FO SHO this year. lol

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Doing some research - I have found that a 64GB Space Grey Wifi iPad Air 2 from early 2015 had a model number of FGKL2LL/A, meanwhile mid-2015 and later has MGKL2LL/A. The latter (MGKL) has 4.2 while the former (FGKL) has 4.0.

Going through the Refurb store vs. new. Anything listed with BT 4.0 had a model number that begins with an 'F'. Anything with 4.2 has a model number that begins with an 'M'.

7. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Nice find Rollin. And happy to know that I have an M.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Me too!

9. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Weird, I do too. Mine's an 'M' model, but it was purchased literally two days after the launch and direct from AT&T. IOW, mine is a 'late 2014' model. Born a year ago.

So they actually made BT4.2 models @ launch, but told no one? Doesn't sound right, does it?

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Not sure. But I checked all models new vs. refurb. Refurb store clearly states BT 4.0. Each 4.0 model starts with an 'F'.

11. sparksd macrumors 6502a

How did you check?

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I added the refurb to my cart, then the new one to my cart. Model number is listed under each item in the cart.

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 5.30.48 PM.png

13. tottenj, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015

tottenj macrumors regular

My launch day Air 2 LTE is an "M" model also.
    Edit
    Bluetooth 4.0 adapters are upgradeable via a software update according to this article

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Hmm. I contacted support and they said 4.2 was hardware, not software. If it were software why would the refurbs with model 'F' say 4.0?

15. tottenj macrumors regular

If they said it's hardware than it's probably hardware. According to the Ars Technica article, some adapters can be updated from 4.0 or 4.1 to 4.2 via a software update without the need for FCC recertification. Also, the F means refurbs, according to this wiki.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Blah. Now that kills the way I was able to tell the difference and to fully verify mine was 4.2. Apple support has told me mine is 4.2 but I cannot figure out to verify that first hand. Mine has a build date of July 2015. (Week 31).

17. cynics macrumors G3

Manufacturers only need to fix the previous bugs fixed with BT 4.2 to claim compliance. There is no hardware difference between older and newer iPad models. The capability of increased speed isn't a standard.

One wireless AC router is faster then another another wireless AC router....they are both still wireless AC routers.

Edit : That was a bad analogy but you get the point.

18. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

So, will we ever know if we have 4.2 as a result of software?

19. newellj macrumors 601

I'm not saying you're wrong, but how do you know?

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Apple support has told me that it is hardware and not software. Will apple ever pubically announce it. I doubt it because it has been at least 2 months. But from support said that it is updated hardware. Otherwise the refurbs would state BT 4.2 instead of 4.0 because iOS 9 is out now.

21. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

Well, time to crack my screen! Just joking, minature update!

22. newellj macrumors 601

If you read the Google search results, they also seem to indicate that full 4.2 upgrades require hardware as well as firmware. Based on what I've read, for an iPad, or at least for how I use BT with an iPad, the 4.0 to 4.2 upgrade is completely inconsequential. There may be others whose uses would benefit. All I do with BT and an iPad is use BT speakers and keyboards.

23. cynics macrumors G3

I don't know. I'm guessing, but here's why. First off....

image.jpeg

https://www.bluetooth.org/en-us/Documents/Bluetooth4-2FAQ.pdf

So now you know nothing hardware wise has to be done to be labeled as BT 4.2. So if the Bluetooth stack can be updated for compliance why would they update the hardware on older devices?

The iPhone 6 and 6+, both are still using an older Murato wifi/bt module then the launch day iPad Air 2 but they are 4.2? I think it's pretty clear Apple just updated the Bluetooth stack with iOS 9 for compliancy.

Then we have the elephant in the room, no differentiation in model numbers for different hardware.

Why would the refurb models still be Bluetooth 4.0 then?!? Because they are....the Bluetooth stack hasn't been updated yet because they are still shipping with iOS 8 like many mention on this forum. You have to buy new from Apple to get iOS 9 out of the box...even many new ones from box stores are still shipping with iOS 8.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-air-2-ios-9.1935719/#post-22209278

Like I said, I'm just guessing. But if someone asked me, do you think Apple retooled their assembly lines, remanufactured the logic boards with updated components for older devices, then stuck them into circulation with no differentiation from the previous model OR just updated the Bluetooth stack, the answer (for me) is pretty obvious.

24. Racineur macrumors regular

Racineur

Hello. I'm in Canada. I checked on Apple.ca and the specs say iPad Air 2 comes with Bluetooth 4.0.. BTW the iPad Air 2 ships with iOX 8 at the moment here. The upgrade to iOS9 would have to be done through iTunes store or Wi-Fi. Different countries, different strategies?

25. Saberon2014 macrumors member

Weird. I'm from Canada and my Air 2 arrives Monday. I can post iOS version and model # if anyones interested.