Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Apple Support Page says 4.0: http://www.apple.com/ipad-air-2/specs/
Compare Models says 4.2: http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

So, which do you think is correct?

Backups incase Apple pulls it:

Tech Specs Page.png
Compare Page.png

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Doing some research - I have found that a 64GB Space Grey Wifi iPad Air 2 from early 2015 had a model number of FGKL2LL/A, meanwhile mid-2015 and later has MGKL2LL/A. The latter (MGKL) has 4.2 while the former (FGKL) has 4.0.

Going through the Refurb store vs. new. Anything listed with BT 4.0 had a model number that begins with an 'F'. Anything with 4.2 has a model number that begins with an 'M'.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Doing some research - I have found that a 64GB Space Grey Wifi iPad Air 2 from early 2015 had a model number of FGKL2LL/A, meanwhile mid-2015 and later has MGKL2LL/A. The latter (MGKL) has 4.2 while the former (FGKL) has 4.0.

Going through the Refurb store vs. new. Anything listed with BT 4.0 had a model number that begins with an 'F'. Anything with 4.2 has a model number that begins with an 'M'.

Nice find Rollin. And happy to know that I have an M.

Reactions: jazz1

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W

Weird, I do too. Mine's an 'M' model, but it was purchased literally two days after the launch and direct from AT&T. IOW, mine is a 'late 2014' model. Born a year ago.

So they actually made BT4.2 models @ launch, but told no one? Doesn't sound right, does it?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Weird, I do too. Mine's an 'M' model, but it was purchased literally two days after the launch and direct from AT&T. IOW, mine is a 'late 2014' model. Born a year ago.

So they actually made BT4.2 models @ launch, but told no one? Doesn't sound right, does it?

Not sure. But I checked all models new vs. refurb. Refurb store clearly states BT 4.0. Each 4.0 model starts with an 'F'.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I added the refurb to my cart, then the new one to my cart. Model number is listed under each item in the cart.

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 5.30.48 PM.png

tottenj

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2013
delete
My launch day Air 2 LTE is an "M" model also.
Edit
Bluetooth 4.0 adapters are upgradeable via a software update according to this article

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
My launch day Air 2 LTE is an "M" model also.
Edit
Bluetooth 4.0 adapters are upgradeable via a software update according to this article
Hmm. I contacted support and they said 4.2 was hardware, not software. If it were software why would the refurbs with model 'F' say 4.0?

tottenj

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2013
delete
Hmm. I contacted support and they said 4.2 was hardware, not software. If it were software why would the refurbs with model 'F' say 4.0?
If they said it's hardware than it's probably hardware. According to the Ars Technica article, some adapters can be updated from 4.0 or 4.1 to 4.2 via a software update without the need for FCC recertification. Also, the F means refurbs, according to this wiki.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
If they said it's hardware than it's probably hardware. According to the Ars Technica article, some adapters can be updated from 4.0 or 4.1 to 4.2 via a software update without the need for FCC recertification. Also, the F means refurbs, according to this wiki.
Blah. Now that kills the way I was able to tell the difference and to fully verify mine was 4.2. Apple support has told me mine is 4.2 but I cannot figure out to verify that first hand. Mine has a build date of July 2015. (Week 31).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Manufacturers only need to fix the previous bugs fixed with BT 4.2 to claim compliance. There is no hardware difference between older and newer iPad models. The capability of increased speed isn't a standard.

One wireless AC router is faster then another another wireless AC router....they are both still wireless AC routers.

Edit : That was a bad analogy but you get the point.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Manufacturers only need to fix the previous bugs fixed with BT 4.2 to claim compliance. There is no hardware difference between older and newer iPad models. The capability of increased speed isn't a standard.

One wireless AC router is faster then another another wireless AC router....they are both still wireless AC routers.

Edit : That was a bad analogy but you get the point.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but how do you know?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
So, will we ever know if we have 4.2 as a result of software?

Apple support has told me that it is hardware and not software. Will apple ever pubically announce it. I doubt it because it has been at least 2 months. But from support said that it is updated hardware. Otherwise the refurbs would state BT 4.2 instead of 4.0 because iOS 9 is out now.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
Apple support has told me that it is hardware and not software. Will apple ever pubically announce it. I doubt it because it has been at least 2 months. But from support said that it is updated hardware. Otherwise the refurbs would state BT 4.2 instead of 4.0 because iOS 9 is out now.
Well, time to crack my screen! Just joking, minature update!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
If you read the Google search results, they also seem to indicate that full 4.2 upgrades require hardware as well as firmware. Based on what I've read, for an iPad, or at least for how I use BT with an iPad, the 4.0 to 4.2 upgrade is completely inconsequential. There may be others whose uses would benefit. All I do with BT and an iPad is use BT speakers and keyboards.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I don't know. I'm guessing, but here's why. First off....

image.jpeg

https://www.bluetooth.org/en-us/Documents/Bluetooth4-2FAQ.pdf

So now you know nothing hardware wise has to be done to be labeled as BT 4.2. So if the Bluetooth stack can be updated for compliance why would they update the hardware on older devices?

The iPhone 6 and 6+, both are still using an older Murato wifi/bt module then the launch day iPad Air 2 but they are 4.2? I think it's pretty clear Apple just updated the Bluetooth stack with iOS 9 for compliancy.

Then we have the elephant in the room, no differentiation in model numbers for different hardware.

Why would the refurb models still be Bluetooth 4.0 then?!? Because they are....the Bluetooth stack hasn't been updated yet because they are still shipping with iOS 8 like many mention on this forum. You have to buy new from Apple to get iOS 9 out of the box...even many new ones from box stores are still shipping with iOS 8.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-air-2-ios-9.1935719/#post-22209278

Like I said, I'm just guessing. But if someone asked me, do you think Apple retooled their assembly lines, remanufactured the logic boards with updated components for older devices, then stuck them into circulation with no differentiation from the previous model OR just updated the Bluetooth stack, the answer (for me) is pretty obvious.

Reactions: newellj

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello. I'm in Canada. I checked on Apple.ca and the specs say iPad Air 2 comes with Bluetooth 4.0.. BTW the iPad Air 2 ships with iOX 8 at the moment here. The upgrade to iOS9 would have to be done through iTunes store or Wi-Fi. Different countries, different strategies?

Saberon2014

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013
Hello. I'm in Canada. I checked on Apple.ca and the specs say iPad Air 2 comes with Bluetooth 4.0.. BTW the iPad Air 2 ships with iOX 8 at the moment here. The upgrade to iOS9 would have to be done through iTunes store or Wi-Fi. Different countries, different strategies?

Weird. I'm from Canada and my Air 2 arrives Monday. I can post iOS version and model # if anyones interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.