Air-Gapped MacBook Air Helped Rian Johnson Avoid Leaks When Writing 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 12, 2018.

1. mabhatter macrumors 6502a

Did they use FileVault for full disk encryption, disconnect the wireless antennae, and epoxy the USB and Thunderbolt ports?

2. macTW Suspended

In which case they can say they’re disappointed, but to whine about not knowing it was bad when they chose to not know is idiotic.

3. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

As I (partly) said in my last post, you can easily disable ports like USB/Thunderbolt and network by removing extensions from the Extension Folder, you could also do this for Wifi so no need to block ports or remove wifi chip/antenna.

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I'm guessing.. Apple isn't likely to use this in any marketing...

"We make the best Wifi-less laptops out there!"

5. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

So the tech wizardry of “air gapping” is just not connecting to a network? Amazing. Lol. Maybe we could call watching a physical BluRay movie “hyperlocal streaming”.

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

What’s the saying? “Opinions are like...” seems especially true for the internet. Way to stay on topic here. I believe the article was about security not your review of the film. In the future you may to wait for films to have enough exposure time, gather review data from all sources you may consider relevant and then make an informed decision as to how to spend your time and money.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Agreed, the movie got everything backwards.

8. araadt macrumors newbie

araadt

Ignoring all the armchair reviews about the film, I'm going to offer an armchair review of The History of Rome podcast, which I'd assume is the Mike Duncan one, and say it's excellent. Emperors of Rome by Dr Rhiannon Evans/ La Trobe University, too.

9. PoppaKap macrumors regular

A Mac was responsible for that script? Yikes.

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

"Today we'd like to introduce the new MacBook Air, with our revolutionary new security feature: AirGap. With this build-to-order extra, your files are now 100% more secure".

(Well... if you exclude things like Van Eck phreaking, but let's not go there..)

11. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I hope he made frequent local backups at least! And encrypted both MBA and backups. Then if he lost them, the only way in for anyone who found it would be to brute-Force it... ;)

And as so many other people are giving their opinion, I absolutely loved the movie, I thought it was fantastic. I feel bad for those who were disappointed.

12. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

TheWatchfulOne

Well. That's one way to stop data transmissions from being intercepted by Rebel spies.;)

13. ThunderSkunk, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

This is how we run our company, & home network now as well. Everything is on a secured intranet, offline & lacking hardware to access out. On a separate network, we keep iPads and a few key machines (IT) for internet use with no data on them. Only actual security there is.

It is interesting how much of Apples software ceases to function when offline.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2018 ---
    Both were fantastic and are great to round out with History On Fire and of course Hardcore History. The Revolutions podcast delighted, amused, but then lost me somewhere around the 490th overthrow of the 19-way, 7-nation power struggle over Haiti. My god...

Anyway, knocks Star Wars comfortably into the saturday morning cartoons category.

14. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I'm not attacking you, but that's a much shorter list than I have. I walked out of that film stunned, but in the worst way possible. Then I had to watch it with my son a few days later and pretend I was excited. Second viewing did not help!

15. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

I’m so sorry you had to experience this film twice. You’re a good dad for putting up with it.

16. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

I wouldn't blame that poster entirely as many people take Rotten Tomatoes and film critics words as gospel (though I knew when every last critic was praising this, something was not quite right - they want to keep seeing the Disney movies and such.)

To respond to your patience, I am waiting even longer...until ABC show it on broadcast TV. With the scenes I did see leaked online, well, that was even more of an incentive to wait. I hope Mark Hamill was paid a lot more for this than his $1.5 million handout for TFA.

As far as Rian Johnson and the LucasFilm Story Group (who are equally guilty for "story" and script for this movie), the less I say about them the better.

I hope that MBA had its memory, storage circuits wiped.

17. truettray macrumors 6502

truettray

The fact that feelings on this movie are almost completely 50/50 speaks to it being a successful story. Great stories will rub people the wrong way. I happen to be on the side that disliked it a lot, but I can respect it somewhat.

18. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

I've read many of the positive reviews, & they certainly list faults & issues, but I honestly think many of them really did like it.

My biggest issue was the story (Pretty sure this applies to the a lot of the complaints) but I still enjoyed other aspects of it & overall thought the film was a solid OK. There were some entertaining moments & some not so entertaining moments, lol. Just another entry in the franchise.

Wasn't my favorite, but I prefer it over the first 2 prequels & will see the next one (I know ESB wasn't loved upon it's first release & ROTJ, looking at it objectively, wasn't either)

The fact that the film is so polarizing does reveal the fact that Star Wars fans are different.....

Depending on how JJ carries on the story in Episode 9 & deals with the events of 8....there's a chance this film could be seen in a different light (or still be hated, lol)

Either way, I'm glad this is out of the way. There have been a total of 9 Star Wars films (counting Rogue one), this was bound to happen (although we could argue it didn't have too), but on to the next episode.

Even if I couldn't stand this movie, for me, the franchise has built up enough entertainment value that one movie can't destroy or erase that.

19. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

Its actually impossible to enjoy cohesive story telling, care about Star Wars canon, and like Episode 8 simultaneously.

20. brendu macrumors 68020

LOL at all the star wars hate. I am a huge fan and LOVED it (except for Rose. She was worthless and awful and should not have been there at all). Luke was perfect IMO and it has me so excited for the future of star wars.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2018 ---
    The bombs were sent out and sent toward the ship at which point magnets were used to pull them toward it. Not gravity.

21. RuffyYoshi macrumors regular

RuffyYoshi

Wish it did leak, then I could have saved my money...

22. AmazingRobie macrumors regular

I dont care for the new Star Wars much; loved the throwback, Rogue One. But i cant help loooooving the new Star Wars marketing. Everything is soooo cool. The plush blankets at walmart are awesomes. Have them all around my home. I can only tolerate the new movies with rifftrax though. Thank you Disney.

23. GrumpyMom, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Overall I thought it was okay. I liked the porgs.

***Kinda Sorta Spoilery but not really**

But that little journey for the code breaker was weird. I felt like suddenly I got dropped into a different movie or even a video game. Rose and Finn’s Excellent Adventure. The cameo by a certain person didn’t help much. It’s like they’re giving parts out as favors to actors who also happen to be Star Wars fans or friends of one of the directors or something.

24. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I used to love Star Wars. But recent offerings are meh at the best. Kinda want to just skip this one entirely.
    Regarding MacBook Air, ugh. Just use any computer and disconnect it. Nothing serious. Windows can do this way better than a macOS.

25. MH01 Suspended

MH01

The critics called it the best Star Wars movie. Sadly many fans got caught out by this and saw what was great visual effects the worst plot ......plot?..... not to mention a director so clueless that either he did not see the originals or completely ignored them and turned Luke skywalker from one of the great movie characters into a pathetic whining sod .

This is no air-gapped MacBook, this guy just doesn't know to turn wifi on.