Airlines

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
For all things airlines.

Which ones your favorite? The one with the best service? Food? Etc... which one is the worst? Recommendations, experiences, etc...

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
I used to really like Pan Am for long international flights. Their 747's were large and roomy and the service was impeccable. The best I ever flew was Japan Airlines. Awesome food and service and you weren't treated like cattle. Flew Iran Air once and it was not to my liking. Bad food and scary planes. Frankly, there just aren't any airlines these days that impress me. They're overcrowded and they nickel and dime you to death. For most travel in the US I take the time and drive, these days.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I'd say Jetblue, but in all truth, its really the one that I feel that I'll get the best value/price.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Any of the Virgin Group, Lufthansa, BA.

I suppose United isn't bad if you enjoy your limbs being tugged. I'm sure there are airlines out there if you prefer appendages.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You may rethink that, Delta is adding a complex and confusing method for boarding
Delta changes the way fliers board planes
As a retired Delta Employee, I said that with a smile.:)

Regarding your linked article and this, I had to chuckle:
Despite the expansion in number of groups from six to eight, Delta said the new format hopes to "encourage fewer customers to line up in the gate area" and ultimately speed up boarding.

Yeah, right. ;) I don’t see this effecting the size of the heard at all. As someone who frequently travels standby, we typically remain seated until our group is called.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
Air travel over the past couple of decades was pretty mediocre and nothing to write home about IMHO. A friend suggest I try Air New Zealand last year and I'm really glad I did; it is now my favorite airline. The service is courteous and professional.... no dramas. The food, was shockingly good, especially for economy....maybe because it was food/dishes i'd never tried before, all served with NZ wines. Good stuff. My only minor quibble was the limited selection of movies and tv shows. The fares seem to be more than the competition(nothing outrageous though), but I think the difference is worth it.

The airport in Wellington was small and quaint/charming(euphemism for old, maybe?) ... better than the cold steel & concrete mega-structures at other major hubs. Incidentally, while carriers like Emirates et al have the "mind share", Air NZ has been winning a fair share of awards. Anyway, highly recommended if you get the chance.

Cheers

Last edited:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Yeah, right. ;) I don’t see this effecting the size of the heard at all. As someone who frequently travels standby, we typically remain seated until our group is called.
I see people standing and milling about waiting for their group to be called, and while I'm not a travel warrior I do fly on occasion. I have to say I fall into that group of people, as the lack of sufficient overhead storage is the primary motivation. I don't see the reported change altering that behavior at all.

I think its united, or its AA, but one of those seats in groups and within the group it then calls people up by window seats, then middle seats, then aisle seats. I found out the hard way and lost out on being able to stow my carry on luggage overhead :(

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I see people standing and milling about waiting for their group to be called, and while I'm not a travel warrior I do fly on occasion. I have to say I fall into that group of people, as the lack of sufficient overhead storage is the primary motivation. I don't see the reported change altering that behavior at all.

I think its united, or its AA, but one of those seats in groups and within the group it then calls people up by window seats, then middle seats, then aisle seats. I found out the hard way and lost out on being able to stow my carry on luggage overhead :(
I agree. The only Out besiades getting on as soon as you can, is when you are on a smaller aircraft and they gate check bags, to be picked up at the gate on the other end.

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
I had the privilege of flying a Lufthansa plane in Germany and had to say this was the best airline I've ever flown on. Plane was super clean, stewardesses super nice, just perfect. Biggest shocker was ANA airlines in Japan. People board and disembark a full plane completely in under 15 mins, and it is completely spotless both times. But the airports are pretty packed in Japan.

In the USA my only experience is with United and American Airlines. AA seems to be the better airline but a lot more expensive. I can't stand flying in the USA... I'm 230 pounds, 5'11 male. I can run 3 miles at a 10 min mile pace and I do lift weights so I'm not completely fat (just mostly) and I barely fit in seats. I always manage to sit next to guys who are bigger than me making the trip unbearable. I'm very wide chested … 3 males in a row? I'm half way in the walk way. I HATE flying in the USA. If I was 1/2 my size, I'd be perfect for the seats provided.

AA is better than United, but both suck imo. When my wife (California) had a conference in New Orleans we opted to drive because we hate flying so much. 3 beautiful days (stopping every night) driving across the USA was fun and worth every penny. With a 42mpg civic wasn't more expensive, actually cheaper, even with hotels.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Can't say which is the best, because I'm usually fly Continental and don't have much experience with the others. But I can tell you the one I consider the worst: Spirit Airline. Suffice it to say, if you've flown with them once, you'd agree.

arkitect

macrumors 603
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Singapore Airlines
JAL
Cathay

Service is definitely better on the Far Eastern Airlines (With Air China a notable exception to the rule!)

Lufthansa followed by Air France
Air France? Yikes! I mean, I have nothing against France — au contraire — but if I can avoid them I always do.

Lufthansa isn't too shabby — though a bit achtung achtung schnell schnell… but then again, that's Germany. ;)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Singapore Airlines
JAL
Cathay

Service is definitely better on the Far Eastern Airlines (With Air China a notable exception to the rule!)

Air France? Yikes! I mean, I have nothing against France — au contraire — but if I can avoid them I always do.

Lufthansa isn't too shabby — though a bit achtung achtung schnell schnell… but then again, that's Germany. ;)
I always liked Air France, next week when I fly home I think I'm going to try Norwegian

Reactions: arkitect

arkitect

macrumors 603
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I always liked Air France
The only time I enjoyed Air France was the one and only time I flew on the Concorde. But then again, they could have tossed cold baguettes at us and I'd have been pleased.
Happy times. :)

I always liked Air France, next week when I fly home I think I'm going to try Norwegian
You know who impressed me last time I flew with them? Finnair. But having just scrolled through TrustPilot… it seems things have taken a turn for the worse.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Lufthansa are okay, and politely professional.

Air France I try to avoid; I have used a lot of the smaller airlines in the old Eastern Europe, (and some in central Asia that were an experience) and they did not impress although in strict terms of cost, they are not that expensive.

Reactions: arkitect

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
Years ago worked for American Airlines. I was able to take a trip to Dubai on Emirates 1st class!(Paid only taxes and airport fees) unbelievable experience. It was like a flying hotel with constant room service.

Reactions: arkitect and Huntn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Years ago worked for American Airlines. I was able to take a trip to Dubai on Emirates 1st class!(Paid only taxes and airport fees) unbelievable experience. It was like a flying hotel with constant room service.
"Years ago" is how many years ago?

I've flown Business Class on a good number of occasions (usually when I have cross continental flights, and, with one exception, have paid for it myself; the exception was when I had to observe an election at very short notice, and the only seats available to a country in central Asia were in Business Class), but never First Class.

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
"Years ago" is how many years ago?

I've flown Business Class on a good number of occasions (usually when I have cross continental flights, and, with one exception, have paid for it myself; the exception was when I had to observe an election at very short notice, and the only seats available to a country in central Asia were in Business Class), but never First Class.
Like 12 it was in 2006 flew from Raleigh NC on American to london then to Dubai on Emirates.

It was fun expirience working at American. Had lots of opportunities to fly loads of places. Also got to go to Australia 1st class from Tokyo. Would take day trips to Chicago, Miami, DC lots of times.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.