Airlines

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hawkeye_a, Dec 12, 2018.

1. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

For all things airlines.

Which ones your favorite? The one with the best service? Food? Etc... which one is the worst? Recommendations, experiences, etc...

2. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

I used to really like Pan Am for long international flights. Their 747's were large and roomy and the service was impeccable. The best I ever flew was Japan Airlines. Awesome food and service and you weren't treated like cattle. Flew Iran Air once and it was not to my liking. Bad food and scary planes. Frankly, there just aren't any airlines these days that impress me. They're overcrowded and they nickel and dime you to death. For most travel in the US I take the time and drive, these days.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I like Southwest as they include bags in the price of the ticket.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say Jetblue, but in all truth, its really the one that I feel that I'll get the best value/price.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

What’s the deal with those little bags of peanuts?

6. Erehy Dobon macrumors newbie

Erehy Dobon

For the past few decades, the top ranked airlines have consistently been ones based in Asia, particularly the two major Japanese airlines: Japan Airlines (JAL) and All Nippon Airlines (ANA) as well as Singapore Air.

A recent newcomer to the top rankings is Emirates (I have not used this airline).

None of the American flag carriers are very good. The top ranked USA carriers used to be Virgin America and JetBlue. The former has been absorbed by Alaska Airlines and I don't know if the combined company's service quality has been maintained. It's been years since I took JetBlue. I have a flight scheduled in 2019, not expecting much.

For sure, all the major US carriers (United, Delta, American, Southwest, etc.) suck in a major way. If you fly business class to a domestic destination, it's not much better than flying coach. Sure, they don't nickel-and-dime you for drinks and luggage, but it's still a mediocre experience.

The food on all airlines is pretty bad; even the good stuff (business class) on international carriers is still unmemorable. There's only so much an airline catering service can do preparing dishes 12 hours in advance to be reheated onboard. It's not like there's a chef flying aboard Air France. It's still a glorified TV dinner.

That said, the food that is produced in Japan and France (i.e., on the flights that originate from those two countries) are markedly better than pretty much anywhere else. The food generated in catering kitchens at US airports is worthless. You are better off buying a sandwich at some airport terminal kiosk.

Heck, riding the Shinkansen (bullet train in Japan) in ordinary class blows doors on any coach class airline flight on this planet.

The main discerning and beneficial feature about international overseas business class airplane travel are the lie-flat seats. At least you can get some decent hours of sleep. The food/beverage service is utterly unimportant compared to these seats.

7. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

8. Zenithal macrumors 603

Any of the Virgin Group, Lufthansa, BA.

I suppose United isn't bad if you enjoy your limbs being tugged. I'm sure there are airlines out there if you prefer appendages.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Turkish Airlines; I have used them a lot, across three continents, and find their service pretty good.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

11. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

As a retired Delta Employee, I said that with a smile.:)

Regarding your linked article and this, I had to chuckle:
    Despite the expansion in number of groups from six to eight, Delta said the new format hopes to "encourage fewer customers to line up in the gate area" and ultimately speed up boarding.

Yeah, right. ;) I don’t see this effecting the size of the heard at all. As someone who frequently travels standby, we typically remain seated until our group is called.

12. hawkeye_a, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018

hawkeye_a thread starter macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

Air travel over the past couple of decades was pretty mediocre and nothing to write home about IMHO. A friend suggest I try Air New Zealand last year and I'm really glad I did; it is now my favorite airline. The service is courteous and professional.... no dramas. The food, was shockingly good, especially for economy....maybe because it was food/dishes i'd never tried before, all served with NZ wines. Good stuff. My only minor quibble was the limited selection of movies and tv shows. The fares seem to be more than the competition(nothing outrageous though), but I think the difference is worth it.

The airport in Wellington was small and quaint/charming(euphemism for old, maybe?) ... better than the cold steel & concrete mega-structures at other major hubs. Incidentally, while carriers like Emirates et al have the "mind share", Air NZ has been winning a fair share of awards. Anyway, highly recommended if you get the chance.

Cheers

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I see people standing and milling about waiting for their group to be called, and while I'm not a travel warrior I do fly on occasion. I have to say I fall into that group of people, as the lack of sufficient overhead storage is the primary motivation. I don't see the reported change altering that behavior at all.

I think its united, or its AA, but one of those seats in groups and within the group it then calls people up by window seats, then middle seats, then aisle seats. I found out the hard way and lost out on being able to stow my carry on luggage overhead :(

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I agree. The only Out besiades getting on as soon as you can, is when you are on a smaller aircraft and they gate check bags, to be picked up at the gate on the other end.

15. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I had the privilege of flying a Lufthansa plane in Germany and had to say this was the best airline I've ever flown on. Plane was super clean, stewardesses super nice, just perfect. Biggest shocker was ANA airlines in Japan. People board and disembark a full plane completely in under 15 mins, and it is completely spotless both times. But the airports are pretty packed in Japan.

In the USA my only experience is with United and American Airlines. AA seems to be the better airline but a lot more expensive. I can't stand flying in the USA... I'm 230 pounds, 5'11 male. I can run 3 miles at a 10 min mile pace and I do lift weights so I'm not completely fat (just mostly) and I barely fit in seats. I always manage to sit next to guys who are bigger than me making the trip unbearable. I'm very wide chested … 3 males in a row? I'm half way in the walk way. I HATE flying in the USA. If I was 1/2 my size, I'd be perfect for the seats provided.

AA is better than United, but both suck imo. When my wife (California) had a conference in New Orleans we opted to drive because we hate flying so much. 3 beautiful days (stopping every night) driving across the USA was fun and worth every penny. With a 42mpg civic wasn't more expensive, actually cheaper, even with hotels.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Can't say which is the best, because I'm usually fly Continental and don't have much experience with the others. But I can tell you the one I consider the worst: Spirit Airline. Suffice it to say, if you've flown with them once, you'd agree.

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

18. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Singapore Airlines
    JAL
    Cathay

Service is definitely better on the Far Eastern Airlines (With Air China a notable exception to the rule!)

Air France? Yikes! I mean, I have nothing against France — au contraire — but if I can avoid them I always do.

Lufthansa isn't too shabby — though a bit achtung achtung schnell schnell… but then again, that's Germany. ;)

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I always liked Air France, next week when I fly home I think I'm going to try Norwegian

20. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

The only time I enjoyed Air France was the one and only time I flew on the Concorde. But then again, they could have tossed cold baguettes at us and I'd have been pleased.
    Happy times. :)

You know who impressed me last time I flew with them? Finnair. But having just scrolled through TrustPilot… it seems things have taken a turn for the worse.

21. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Sometimes the best airline is the one on which you can fly non-rev standby. ;)

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Lufthansa are okay, and politely professional.

Air France I try to avoid; I have used a lot of the smaller airlines in the old Eastern Europe, (and some in central Asia that were an experience) and they did not impress although in strict terms of cost, they are not that expensive.

23. Starship67 macrumors 6502a

Starship67

Years ago worked for American Airlines. I was able to take a trip to Dubai on Emirates 1st class!(Paid only taxes and airport fees) unbelievable experience. It was like a flying hotel with constant room service.

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

"Years ago" is how many years ago?

I've flown Business Class on a good number of occasions (usually when I have cross continental flights, and, with one exception, have paid for it myself; the exception was when I had to observe an election at very short notice, and the only seats available to a country in central Asia were in Business Class), but never First Class.

25. Starship67, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

Starship67 macrumors 6502a

Starship67

Like 12 it was in 2006 flew from Raleigh NC on American to london then to Dubai on Emirates.

It was fun expirience working at American. Had lots of opportunities to fly loads of places. Also got to go to Australia 1st class from Tokyo. Would take day trips to Chicago, Miami, DC lots of times.