Airmail 3.0 for Mac Brings VIP Contacts, Smart Folders, and More

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 23, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Airmail, the third party email client for Mac, has been updated to version 3, bringing some major new features to the popular application and a redesigned interface.

The new update adds Smart Folders for enhanced message filtering and organization, VIP contacts, OS X notifications, and support for the "send later" feature available to Gmail and Exchange account holders.

[​IMG]

The Mac update also means that Airmail for OS X now syncs account preferences across iPhone and iPad devices, syncing rules, VIP contacts, and Smart Folders over iCloud.

Airmail 3 supports multiple accounts including MS Exchange, Gmail, Google Apps, IMAP, POP3, Yahoo, AOL, Outlook.com, and Live.com.

Other new changes bring options for customizable menus, gestures, keyboard shortcuts, and folders, as well as calendar integration, rules for forwarding messages, Asana and Trello integration, primary inbox support for Gmail, and redesigned message threads.

Airmail 3.0 is available for El Capitan on the Mac App Store, priced at $9.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Airmail 3.0 for Mac Brings VIP Contacts, Smart Folders, and More

2. drumcat macrumors 6502a

drumcat

Been doing their beta for a while. Quality client. It's something you would think Apple would buy and replace their aching Mail.app with.

3. bushido Suspended

bushido

Looks literally like the twitter program lol

4. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Am I literally the only person who uses the stock Mails app on OS X? Suits all my basic needs.

5. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

It's a great app, have been using it for quite some time now. Far more intuitive than the stock app imo.

6. tigres macrumors 601

tigres

yes, basic as in One iCloud account. ok.
    Get any more complex, and Mail for OS X has sucked for years- I won't get into the why's but you can take my word on it.

7. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Nah I use it to run 5 e-mail accounts with multiple alias' and about 600,000 e-mails in the database. Works fine for me. Most of these other clients seem to be about dismissing e-mail so you always have an empty inbox - I don't work like that. Each to their own, Mail works fine for me, the only feature missing was send later, so I bought a plugin for that.

8. slammer0 macrumors newbie

I also use the stock Mail app. And I am no basic user. 4-5 mailboxes (Gmail, Google Apps, iCloud, Exchange), and over 100 messages every week. I have tested AirMail, UniBox and others. Thing I need the most is the reliability and compatibility. Other e-mail clients were far more functional but (more) unreliable, laggy and had compatibility issues with Exchange servers. I would love Apple to add better support for Gmail labels (instead of folders) and support for google push notifications (basically google API instead of IMAP) in coming release.

9. Fender2112 macrumors 65816

Fender2112

I've been using it for years. I've tried other mail apps. But none of them gave me a compelling reason to switch. Any time I read about another mail app, I always ask what makes it better that Apple Mail. The typical response, "I just like it better" or "I just don't like Apple Mail".

10. ZombiPod macrumors newbie

11. JCarmona macrumors member

No, you're not! And I think it works great.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

This is hands down the best simplistic email app for OSX.

13. R2FX macrumors regular

R2FX

nope, you and me both ;) default Mail always worked fine for me (on a combination of .Mac, Gmail, Yahoo and Exchange accounts)

14. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Mac Mail works fine for me, but I've dealt with so many awkward remote sessions about it not updating correctly, or incorrectly syncing folders; issues which persist after rebuilding mailboxes and all the rest of it. So it's really not perfect, I just got lucky that it works for me.

In those cases there's not much that can be done other than recommending a 3rd party application.

15. GatorGhost macrumors regular

GatorGhost

Same here and the same to the other posters who use default mail....it has always functioned for me with no issues. However I wish the interface had a little more color and contrast for artwork or icons as I might say.

16. utdrmac macrumors newbie

I hate app-store apps. Is there any way to test drive AirMail? I have to pay out $10 to the app store just to figure out a couple days later that I don't like the app?

17. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I tried Airmail 2 for a while..didn't like that I have to set up all my email accounts every time I change my mac or i-devices. . Using CloudMagic on my Mac and iPhone now.

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Used to use Airmail a lot but it had too many weird bugs that I couldn't stand. I'm always willing to give it another shot and see if those bugs are fixed though, looks like a good upgrade. The Send Later feature looks nice, but does anyone know if Send Later saves the message server side or client side? The whole feature is pointless for me if my computer has to be on and Airmail be open.

They usually have a beta you can download for free and see if you like it.

19. Schwyz macrumors regular

Schwyz

Doubt I'll ever get it, but that screenshot looks pretty clean.

20. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Same here. Never had a need to use something else.

21. Sankel macrumors member

Sankel

Wel.. I'm a Graphic Designer, and most of the time I use it to send large pictures (websites, logos etc) to clients. But the mail app is persisting to load the image into the mail itself.

The option "Edit > Attachments > Add to end of message" doesn't work either.

So a new client is only for this problem/bug/thing is not such a bad idea

22. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

You used to be able to disable inline attachments via Terminal, but the command was removed a few OS releases ago I believe. You can use this though, but it does require a small license fee.

http://clivegaleni.com/os-x-mail-anti-inline-plugin/

23. 6836838 Suspended

Apple Mail fine for me. 5 Google accounts connected via IMAP (business and personal). Use VIP contacts via iCloud. No iCloud emails.

No problems apart from VIP email broke a while back but fixed by logging out and in of iCloud again.

24. avatarbe macrumors newbie

I'm using this for years, and it's a great app. Lot's of features I wouldn't miss anymore!

25. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Mail.app doesn't support IMAP IDLE protocol for push fetch so I need a third party client for this.

It also doesn't have an easy "to do" and "check for complete" on emails. Only flagged and un-flagged.

That's why I switched.