Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Airmail, the third party email client for Mac, has been updated to version 3, bringing some major new features to the popular application and a redesigned interface.

The new update adds Smart Folders for enhanced message filtering and organization, VIP contacts, OS X notifications, and support for the "send later" feature available to Gmail and Exchange account holders.

Screen-Shot-2016-05-23-at-13.22.36.jpg

The Mac update also means that Airmail for OS X now syncs account preferences across iPhone and iPad devices, syncing rules, VIP contacts, and Smart Folders over iCloud.

Airmail 3 supports multiple accounts including MS Exchange, Gmail, Google Apps, IMAP, POP3, Yahoo, AOL, Outlook.com, and Live.com.

Other new changes bring options for customizable menus, gestures, keyboard shortcuts, and folders, as well as calendar integration, rules for forwarding messages, Asana and Trello integration, primary inbox support for Gmail, and redesigned message threads.

Airmail 3.0 is available for El Capitan on the Mac App Store, priced at $9.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Airmail 3.0 for Mac Brings VIP Contacts, Smart Folders, and More

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
Been doing their beta for a while. Quality client. It's something you would think Apple would buy and replace their aching Mail.app with.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Am I literally the only person who uses the stock Mails app on OS X? Suits all my basic needs.

Nah I use it to run 5 e-mail accounts with multiple alias' and about 600,000 e-mails in the database. Works fine for me. Most of these other clients seem to be about dismissing e-mail so you always have an empty inbox - I don't work like that. Each to their own, Mail works fine for me, the only feature missing was send later, so I bought a plugin for that.

slammer0

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Am I literally the only person who uses the stock Mails app on OS X? Suits all my basic needs.

I also use the stock Mail app. And I am no basic user. 4-5 mailboxes (Gmail, Google Apps, iCloud, Exchange), and over 100 messages every week. I have tested AirMail, UniBox and others. Thing I need the most is the reliability and compatibility. Other e-mail clients were far more functional but (more) unreliable, laggy and had compatibility issues with Exchange servers. I would love Apple to add better support for Gmail labels (instead of folders) and support for google push notifications (basically google API instead of IMAP) in coming release.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I've been using it for years. I've tried other mail apps. But none of them gave me a compelling reason to switch. Any time I read about another mail app, I always ask what makes it better that Apple Mail. The typical response, "I just like it better" or "I just don't like Apple Mail".

Reactions: dannys1 and mike.a

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010

nope, you and me both ;) default Mail always worked fine for me (on a combination of .Mac, Gmail, Yahoo and Exchange accounts)

Reactions: mike.a

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Mac Mail works fine for me, but I've dealt with so many awkward remote sessions about it not updating correctly, or incorrectly syncing folders; issues which persist after rebuilding mailboxes and all the rest of it. So it's really not perfect, I just got lucky that it works for me.

In those cases there's not much that can be done other than recommending a 3rd party application.

GatorGhost

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014
nope, you and me both ;) default Mail always worked fine for me (on a combination of .Mac, Gmail, Yahoo and Exchange accounts)

Same here and the same to the other posters who use default mail....it has always functioned for me with no issues. However I wish the interface had a little more color and contrast for artwork or icons as I might say.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Used to use Airmail a lot but it had too many weird bugs that I couldn't stand. I'm always willing to give it another shot and see if those bugs are fixed though, looks like a good upgrade. The Send Later feature looks nice, but does anyone know if Send Later saves the message server side or client side? The whole feature is pointless for me if my computer has to be on and Airmail be open.

I hate app-store apps. Is there any way to test drive AirMail? I have to pay out $10 to the app store just to figure out a couple days later that I don't like the app?

They usually have a beta you can download for free and see if you like it.

Sankel

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
Wel.. I'm a Graphic Designer, and most of the time I use it to send large pictures (websites, logos etc) to clients. But the mail app is persisting to load the image into the mail itself.

The option "Edit > Attachments > Add to end of message" doesn't work either.

So a new client is only for this problem/bug/thing is not such a bad idea

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Wel.. I'm a Graphic Designer, and most of the time I use it to send large pictures (websites, logos etc) to clients. But the mail app is persisting to load the image into the mail itself.

The option "Edit > Attachments > Add to end of message" doesn't work either.

So a new client is only for this problem/bug/thing is not such a bad idea

You used to be able to disable inline attachments via Terminal, but the command was removed a few OS releases ago I believe. You can use this though, but it does require a small license fee.

http://clivegaleni.com/os-x-mail-anti-inline-plugin/

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Apple Mail fine for me. 5 Google accounts connected via IMAP (business and personal). Use VIP contacts via iCloud. No iCloud emails.

No problems apart from VIP email broke a while back but fixed by logging out and in of iCloud again.

Reactions: ignatius345

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Mail.app doesn't support IMAP IDLE protocol for push fetch so I need a third party client for this.

It also doesn't have an easy "to do" and "check for complete" on emails. Only flagged and un-flagged.

That's why I switched.

Reactions: drumcat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.