Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I really like the look of Airmail, but there is one thing it doesn't do that the stock app does, and it was a deal breaker for me. I manage multiple email accounts, and with one of them, it is important for me to review each email in the order they came in. In Apple Mail, I can switch from one inbox to another, and when I go back to the first, it remembers where in the list I was for each account. In Airmail, if I switch accounts it takes me back to the top of the list every single time, forcing me to scroll back through to find my spot.

I realize I'm a pretty unique use case here, but until they can mimic this behavior from the stock app, it's a $10 virtual paperweight for me. I wrote their support though, so maybe it is included in this or a future update.

Reactions: ignatius345

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
It's too bad they didn't do anything about STARRED emails! The yellow star is hard to see, they should add a feature to change the colour of it. I use stars to mark emails that are semi important or things that need to get done and then I just un-star them once done, but yellow on white doesnt stand out much.

yes, basic as in One iCloud account. ok.
Get any more complex, and Mail for OS X has sucked for years- I won't get into the why's but you can take my word on it.

Mail is truly awful. How can a company worth 600 billion dollars FAIL so badly at making a simple email application? It doesn't have to be complex, but there's so much stuff in it that makes you think 'Why the f** would they do it like this?!' ie; INLINE ATTACHMENTS!!!

Serious!?

3Omfl6w.jpg

[doublepost=1464021775][/doublepost]
I hate app-store apps. Is there any way to test drive AirMail? I have to pay out $10 to the app store just to figure out a couple days later that I don't like the app?

You'll have to find a questionable way of attaining the app. I did. But ended up buying it anyway. 10 bucks isn't much and I get to use it on all my computers including a legitimate copy on my work laptop (my company has everyone on Outlook, but I don't like it).

Reactions: Corrode and naasrd

naasrd

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Am I literally the only person who uses the stock Mails app on OS X? Suits all my basic needs.

Haven't used it for over 4 years. Moved to Sparrow, then Acompli (now Outlook) and now this. It's a different league from the native app, which for me just wasn't up to my needs aesthetically, the UI is jaded not to mention its 7 year old notification sounds.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Mail supports IMAP IDLE, has done so since Leopard.
Not on iOS.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4657562 said:
which shows that the mechanism for what is loosely classified as 'push' is different for OS X & iOS. OS X Mail uses the IMAP IDLE function (if it has been enabled in Apple Mail) whereas mobile devices (iOS = iPhone & iPad) use Apple Push Notification Service.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Wel.. I'm a Graphic Designer, and most of the time I use it to send large pictures (websites, logos etc) to clients. But the mail app is persisting to load the image into the mail itself.

The option "Edit > Attachments > Add to end of message" doesn't work either.

So a new client is only for this problem/bug/thing is not such a bad idea

Any reasons why you don't just compress the image into a zip? Compressed folders have universal support on Windows and OS X now for years.

Reactions: ignatius345

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Not on iOS.

Of course not, because IMAP IDLE was never meant for mobile devices. No third-party developer can support it anyway, as the system will not allow prolonged background execution. Those mail apps that do offer push notifications use Apple's regular push notification service and require server access to your mail account.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Any reasons why you don't just compress the image into a zip? Compressed folders have universal support on Windows and OS X now for years.

Would you really wanna do that for every email several if not dozens of times per day... EVERY day?

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Am I literally the only person who uses the stock Mails app on OS X? Suits all my basic needs.

Stock app isn't bad and I use it when it's more convenient like email links from safari etc but it lacks some features. Snooze and re alerts would be a nice one to add. Doesn't help that I'm a gmail guy and the iPhone stock email app doesn't have push for gmail so you lose the continuity. Fix those things and I'd probably go back.

I use inbox but find the way it does threads confusing. Especially not being able to delete specific emails in a thread is annoying.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Mail > Edit > Attachments > Insert Attachments at End +
Code:
defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool true && killall Mail

You're welcome.

Doesn't work. Only turns images into icons and they still show up inside the body of the email. Mail app is pretty miserable.

SOkzOL4.jpg

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Doesn't work. Only turns images into icons and they still show up inside the body of the email. Mail app is pretty miserable.

They are supposed to look like this, now they don't occupy as much space. My images are attached at the end, but in your case you could still easily drag them to the bottom if it annoys you. The Mail app is not miserable, your expectations don't meet how Apple designed this application.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
They are supposed to look like this, now they don't occupy as much space. My images are attached at the end, but in your case you could still easily drag them to the bottom if it annoys you. The Mail app is not miserable, your expectations don't meet how Apple designed this application.

LOL, I'm not moving every attachment to the end of the email! Come on man, that's just being an apologist. The app is garbage and just because it was designed that way, doesnt mean it's correct.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
LOL, I'm not moving every attachment to the end of the email! Come on man, that's just being an apologist.

No, it's indifference on my part, it's such a trivial thing. While dragging a document, you can easily place it where you want it and if you don't like that, there is nothing stopping you from just waiting until the end before you drop your attachments in. As usual, you are blowing issues way out of proportion because you don't like how Apple designed their programs.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002

SOkzOL4.jpg
The terminal command will make it always an icon. You can force attachments to the bottom of the mail messaged in Edit>Attachments in the menu bar.

Reactions: GatorGhost

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Same here and the same to the other posters who use default mail....it has always functioned for me with no issues. However I wish the interface had a little more color and contrast for artwork or icons as I might say.

I could never get Airmail to work as default with apps like Quickbooks so I had to revert back to Apple Mail.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
This is hands down the best simplistic email app for OSX.
I've found it to be totally overrated. It drives me nuts when I open an email and the screen is blank. Then I have to close it and reopen it to see the message. The main reasons I bought it is because I wanted a Gmail program that was integrated with OS X's notifications. The stock app tries to download all your email to your computer. And it sees GMail labels as folders. Airmail is okay, but the desktop experience to me is just so-so. Haven't tried the mobile apps yet.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I decided to try Airmail and just installed it a few minutes ago and set up my .mac, 2 gmail and 1 IMAP accounts with it - the same ones I have in Mail.app.

I did it for no other reason than I felt like a new UI look.

There's only been one bug with Mail.app lately and that has to do with the unread message badge on the Dock icon. Even when I've read all the messages it will still show 1 unread. The only way to solve it was to mark a message as unread, and then mark it as read, or close and reopen Mail.app. Not a big deal, but it shouldn't happen.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I've found it to be totally overrated. It drives me nuts when I open an email and the screen is blank. Then I have to close it and reopen it to see the message. The main reasons I bought it is because I wanted a Gmail program that was integrated with OS X's notifications. The stock app tries to download all your email to your computer. And it sees GMail labels as folders. Airmail is okay, but the desktop experience to me is just so-so. Haven't tried the mobile apps yet.

I haven't had any negative experiences with it. Always worked flawless for me. I have 2 gmails, a hotmail, and one outlook exchange on it.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Thunderbird is still rockin' it for me.

Available on Mac OS X, Solaris and many other lesser platforms.

And if that wasn't enough, plenty of awesome plugins to choose from.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
How come my Airmail shows the wrong reply to an email, using Gmail?

Gmail shows what I replied in its entirety, but Airmail picked a seemingly random word from my reply and shows it as my reply to the original message.

Edit: oh wait, it's because Airmail reads the reply and formats it (meaning the other person can edit the quoted message before sending), whereas Gmail takes the actual sent email and throws it in there.

rlavalle

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
I dumped Apple Mail a couple years ago. One glaring missing feature that drove me nuts: No way to Whitelist senders to allow images to load automatically. I don't want images loading for all senders since that's a great way to alert spammers you're a real live recipient.

I've been using AirMail for a week and really like it. Before this, I used PostBox, but it's pretty buggy and laggy, plus the latest version has a dried up and withered UI.

The only thing I don't like about AirMail is it (at least the beta I'm using) doesn't have Undo for deleting or filing messages.
[doublepost=1464136490][/doublepost]I might be backtracking on my kudos for AirMail. I've been using the Beta 3.0 version (366) and just downloaded the Release version (367). The new version does not see any of my mail accounts or thousands of archived emails that I spent hours importing from Postbox.

I contacted Support and they claim I have to manually export/import my mail from one version to the other! Come on, the mail database between these 2 versions is that different?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.