AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Support Coming to New LG Smart TVs

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2019.

1. B-Dizzy macrumors newbie

B-Dizzy

My only hope with HomeKit support is to be able to say "Hey Siri, goodnight" and have all TV's in the house turn off.

2. sledgehammer89 macrumors regular

sledgehammer89

Next news: macOS runs now on any Intel PC.

3. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

If you buy one of these TVs that support Airplay 2 and HomeKit then why would you ever buy an Apple TV? Within a few years the Apple TV will end up the same place the AirPort did. EOL.

Looks like Apple is slowly transitioning to a services company versus a hardware company. Sure they will still sell iPhones and iPads, but the days of the "hobby" products are over. This could be good news since hobby products like the Apple TV, AirPort and HomePod don't really add much to Apple's bottom line. Services could create a huge profit generator in the near future.

4. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I wonder if Apple will allow manufacturers to build low cost AirPlay 2 streaming devices like the Chromecast. It would be a great next step for people with TVs that won’t get an update like my 2016 4K LG. Also would be nice for gaming consoles like the XBox and PS4 to gain AirPlay support.

5. hefterl macrumors newbie

hefterl

Me too. 2018 modell, could not belive?....

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

So my not even 5 month old LG 65" C8 is outdated....
    speaking of which how come there are no sales on apple TVs...

7. gnomeisland macrumors 6502a

So when it says, "works with HomeKit" will I be able to tell my TV (via my HomePod or Apple Watch) to play a show/movie and it will?

8. TVreporter macrumors regular

TVreporter

Hope they push an update for existing TVs - bought one back in the summer. Great TV and the OS is surprisingly fluid and effective.

9. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Hmmm, I doubt it's coming to all LG Tv's

10. tjtennispro macrumors newbie

11. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Be a bonus if they add it to my 2017 OLED55C7V but not holding my breath. My Marantz NR1608 receiver does Airplay 2 audio only, which is a bummer.

12. azentropy macrumors 68020

azentropy

Already been burnt by LG, Samsung and Visio with them no longer supporting something after a few years. So unless you plan on purchasing a new TV ever couple/few years, better to just use a device as you will probably end up needing one anyway. You still have to replace those, but at least they are a fraction of the price on the whole TV.

13. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Airport wasn't a hobby product.

14. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Or you know....The Apple TV!

15. tjtennispro macrumors newbie

I’m afraid you don’t entirely understand HomeKit. I’ve had it for 3 years and while I can turn my TV on when someone walks by my Camera it’s not automated by motion and certainly not from the doorbell since HomeKit doesn’t support that.

16. CanadianGuy macrumors member

CanadianGuy

If LG doesn't offer a firmware update for their 2017/2018 TV's, I won't buy a 2019 either since it shows they don't support their own products.

17. teflonthadon macrumors member

teflonthadon

No TLC for you
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2019 ---
    Definitely should've bought an OLED for sure

18. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

AirPlay2 and Homekit to LG, Samsung, and the like kinda obviates the ATV for a lot of people. An ATV dongle would have a far greater reach than the current set top, which is overpowered and underutilized imo. The dongle could be half the price and do majority of the current workload. The goal is Apple services in more homes.

19. Bladery macrumors 6502

It’s not clear for me what it means exactly.
    Can I also simply mirror my iPad/iPhone screen to the Airplay 2 supported TV then?
    For example showing the Home screen?

Or is is that I have to e.g. start a video for being the content mirrored to the TV?

20. millerlite macrumors member

millerlite

Samsung's website says 2018 and newer will get AirPlay 2. 2018 models via firmware update.

21. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

ATV is as "smart" as I want my TV's to be. The less cameras, microphones, and data collection devices in the house the better...including the smart "toilet paper dispenser". :eek:

22. millerlite macrumors member

millerlite

Samsung is bringing this to 2018 TVs via update.

23. jhtrico1850 macrumors regular

Big stretch to say all caught up considering none have sold yet. Chromecast requires a $35 dongle. This "solution" is at least $400.

I've got 3 TVs, all connected to Chromecast. I can control with my iPhone, or Macbook via Google Chrome, or Windows. The Apple TV starts at $149. So $105 for 3 Chromecasts vs $447 for the Apple TVs was an easy choice for me. Glad Apple is opening up though.

24. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

Damn it. I just bought an LG C8 just a month ago. Oh well. That said this TV is so damn good they I don't regret anything. It really provides the best 4K Dolby Vision and HDR10 experience possible today. Maybe with enough nagging they'll bring this to 2018 models. It doubt this requires any hardware that the 2018 models, especially those with the alpha 9 processor don't already have.

LG is actually pretty decent as far as firmware updates. They do fix issues and improve things as needed.

25. avatar77 macrumors member

As a B7 OLED owner, I'd love to see this new functionality trickle down to older models, but I can't and won't fault a company for not adding new features to existing products, unless those features were promised at the time of purchase. Except Apple, I'm still pissed they didn't add depth control to the X! ;)